Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

I was driving my Westy to work this morning and saw a tin top right behind me when I stopped at a railroad crossing. We waved to each and I leaned out the window to talk to him a little bit. The driver looked young, like just barely in his 20s, if that, and so clearly excited to be part of the culture. It was really cool.

It got me thinking, I feel like I'm one of the younger Vanagon drivers that I see in real life - and I'm 46!

I know "10degnorth" is just out of highschool, and I'm sure there's some younger "Vanlife/instagram" folks on the web, but I'm curious what age you think the youngest Vanagon driver you've seen in real life was. How often do you see anyone that doesn't have grey hair behind the wheel?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Kid in my town bought one before he could drive. Fixed it up and now drives it. He is 18 now but started driving it at 16.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Does this count?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) bought our first vanagon when we were 26.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

I drove one for a bit when I was about 16, but that was in the last century over 30 years ago. Laughing
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

I gave our daughter a 1989 Carat after she finishes college and wants to travel around to see the country...she was 21 at that time.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

I met up with a bunch of younger westy owners at a gathering in mexico just before covid. Great bunch of kids but they were pretty wary of the samba.
We dont have a great reputation among the younger crowd.
I tried to tell them that we are not like that anymore and they would be treated well if they showed up here.
I dont think they believed me Sad
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

My first car was a 1980 vanagon, I was 16. Van was 15 years old at the time.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

I learned to steer sitting on my mom's lap in her Vanagon. I was 6.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

A 13 year old girl in my neighborhood has a sweet 87 Westy that her dad bought her for when she turns 16. He is fixing it all up for her. I'll bet she's already driving it at times. She sleeps in it at night.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Double post. Sorry

Last edited by Love My Westy on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Slightly related to this post:
I previously had a 20 year love/ hate relationship with a 1982 Diesel Vanagon.
this is the VERY best car to teach someone to drive a manual transmission, because it has a big flywheel and strong tickover (with governor, actually). so it is nearly impossible to kill the thing when you are just learning.
Not my own kids but I taught 2 different daughters of friends to drive a stick with my diesel Vanagon.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

The dude who bought my 83 was 23, full of ideas and energy befitting of a youth Very Happy
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

When my daughter was 10, she helped me bump start after getting gas. Probably a classic VW bus memory for many kids.

I was very proud of her for keeping her cool.
Now we roll with a little jumper box so she knows she won't have to do it again.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Double post. Sorry
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Double post. Sorry
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

I bought my first in college at age 22 as a daily, and at 26 just bought my first syncro!
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Used to play in Mom's 79 bus when I was a kid and pretend it was a Huey attack helicopter. Would leave the sliding door open and sit on the ledge pretending to fire a M60. Too many 'Nam movies back then I guess. Sad
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

Here's one, 17 at that time (Prom Night 2016). Got herself one of her own at 18!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

I bought my van 2 years ago when I was 23- it is my daily driver and I’m now 25… I seem to be on the younger end of the owner age spectrum…
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Youngest Vanagon driver you've seen? Reply with quote

a camper on prom night would have saved me from the stiff neck..
slept in mom's Honda that night. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: