Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won’t start on TDC
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

Recently started having a wierd starting issue. Seems that it won’t start when it at TDC. I can rock the van or manually crank the engine and then it starts fine.
I’ve got a 2.5L EJ in an 82 vanagon with a hi-torque starter.
Anyone else experienced this issue? Can’t really figure out how to resolve this one really.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

When you say 'it won't start' do you mean that the starter won't crank the engine?

Or do you mean that the starter cranks the engine but it won't fire?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

Do you have an auto or manual trans?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

How do you even know, when twisting the key, that the engine is at Top Dead Centre?

I once had a Kennedy Engineered Products (KEP) flywheel with stripped teeth on one part of the flywheel (my fault because the starter was loose). Is that the kind of symptom you are experiencing - - starter runs without turning the engine unless the crank is rotated a bit?
EbenDahl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

By “not start” I mean I turn the ignition and the starter doesn’t even crank. The starter has power and everything else seems to be in the proper order. If I rock the vehicle or hand crank the engine to a point of lower pressure, it’ll crank and fire up no problem.

I have an automatic transmission
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

try a diff starter. Mine was a bit weak at one point. Diff one did the trick. You also may not have a decent ground. Makes sure your existing deal is grounded before wasting time switching in another.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

It sounds like a ritual that might have nothing to do with why it cranks or doesn't. If the starter is not engaging, then rotating the engine to a "better" spot should have no significance. Rotating the engine or rocking the van, might improve a poor electrical connection.

I would put a volt meter on the battery and watch it when you attempt to crank it. Then do your ritual and test again, watching the voltage when it cranks.

Someone mentioned the transmission ground strap. That's where I would start. The next test would be to preform a voltage drop test between the battery positive and the starter solenoid. You'd then test the ground circuit between the battery negative and the starter housing.

I'd recommend watching some you tube videos on how to preform a voltage drop test.

Also, how do you know the crank is at TDC when it doesn't crank? Are you referencing the TDC timing mark?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

EbenDahl wrote:
By “not start” I mean I turn the ignition and the starter doesn’t even crank. The starter has power and everything else seems to be in the proper order. If I rock the vehicle or hand crank the engine to a point of lower pressure, it’ll crank and fire up no problem.

I have an automatic transmission

Check your neutral safety switch. I know it makes no sense at all but I once had an automatic pickup truck that would sometimes do what you're describing - rocking it back and forth seemed make it work until the switch went totally bad.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
How do you even know, when twisting the key, that the engine is at Top Dead Centre?

The question is worth answering. Are you going to the engine and checking the crank timing before turning the key?

When the starter does not crank over the engine to you get the loud click of the solenoid or nothing at all?

EbenDahl wrote:
The starter has power and everything else seems to be in the proper order.

How do you know the starter has power? Where/how are you checking?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Won’t start on TDC Reply with quote

So I now think I understand what the OP was trying to say. The torque provided by the starter is so weak that it appears (to him) to stop rotating the crank when the engine hits TDC on a cylinder.

Here's the deal:

1. There may be resistance in the starter's electrical circuit.
a.This begins with the positive the connector at the battery, which may have a poor connection to the battery terminal.

b. Then, the positive cable itself is subject to corrosion in the area close to the main terminal on the starter solenoid. Peeling back the insulation there will permit a visual inspection.

c. Then, the Subaru starters (if you have a Smallcar bellhousing, you will have a Subaru starter and you say nothing about this) do feature a solenoid with replaceable copper contacts. A $10 kit is available to correct that problem.

2. If you have a Subaru starter, they do simply lose performance over time and die as the windings short or corrode. I replaced my Subaru starter a few months ago (with a tested, used but OEM starter from a wrecking yeard) and the change was like night and day.

3. The solenoids in VW starters can also cause electrical resistance through failure/deterioration of the copper contacts. I am unaware whether a kit or fix is available for this.

4. Finally, VW starters also fail for similar reasons to the Subaru. A replacement might be in order. But first, eliminate possible electrical resistance sources as described above.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: