Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

Building a weekend cruiser for a split window bus with a straight axle conversion. All things point to if I building it, build it big and don't look back. Looking for more grunt and some bling. May see some friskiness light-to-light but not a race motor so building it with a 6500 RPM redline in mind. Freeway driving is a necessity, so long runs, an hour or two max at 3k-3300. Looking for 150-ish HP and 30K mile longevity.

Here's what I’m thinking so far, what’s wrong or what would you do and why?

Case: CB White Rhino case
Crank: DPR Machine 84MM counterweighted VW journals
Rods: Unitech I beam 5.5”
Pistons and Cylinders: AA 94’s
Heads: Panchitos (May reshape for more CCs) with single springs
Target compression: 8.8-9.0
Cam: TBD (in favor of running lower lift with ratio rockers)
Lifters: New stock VW
Carbs: 44 IDF
Exhaust: Vintage Speed for a lowered bus rated for 150hp
Additional: Full flow + dog house, a sump of some kind and super tins under the cyls.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

If this is your first VW engine build, I would probably start out a little less ambushes - just saying.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

I have a 2017 in my bus. Plenty fast. I'd stick with an 82 if staying with VW journals. 84 typically but its in a bus. I had a vintage speed but changed it to a sidewinder.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

You should look at the CB "Builder' Choice" kits. They take a lot of the guess work out of what parts work well together.

I used them as a base for a 1915 and 2017 with excellent results.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

Hello
A couple of things.
Since its a bus I would definitely recommend that you upgrade the crank to one with a type 4 center main.
Ohh, and another thing. While the Unitechs are plenty strong for what youre aiming for, I suggest that you use regular H beam instead, or you will soon run into cam/rod clearance issues and possibly also rod to case issues. Last, I like short rods, but again, when it is for a bus I suggest a little longer rod so you reduce the wall wear and help the rings seal at lower rpms especially.

I would also recommend you to go with 92 thick wall cylinders. They - are - significantly better at staying round when the engine is used hard. (You can of course also go with thickwall 94´s, but that is not for a rookie.) just saying. Also, they do cool slightly less due to less fin area.

2230 displacement, power potential to 6000 with 6500 shift point, wohnt happen with Panchito´s and sgl springs unless you go fancy with some Beehives or Oteva S90 springs and possibly a high end cam from Nowak or JPM.
I really like the P heads for an out of the box solution, but my personal opnion is that they have outlived themselves in stock form at 2165 cc. I have built street 2275´s with hand ported heads with 40 x 35 mm valves that flowed some 10 cfm more than the P heads and with more port volume. They work well, but still need cams in the 86b range to really make power. But then 160ish hp and 250 Nm torque is not a problem.
92 mm bores can work very well with a 42 mm intake valve, and a 42 mm intake can hace juust enough curtain area to make a good filling without going ballistic on the cam duration and cam lift. Next problem is, that most off the shelf heads with 42 intakes are 37,5 mm out, and most of these heads are laid out for rpm power except the Tims Stage 2, so that will be my recommendation. Order them with Ruddocks Beehive spring conversion.

Camshaft. Since you want the ability to keep on rocking past 6000 I´m thinking CB 2246 or Engle W125 with stock rockers. CB 2242 w. 1,25 rockers was also an option for more lower end grunt and a little less upper end power.

Hope this helps.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
If this is your first VW engine build, I would probably start out a little less ambushes - just saying.

^^^X2^^^

You'll want something forgiving..

A kid down the street picked 2332 for his first build, claiming loudly
"Go big or go home"!

He went home. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

You guys bring up some good points, thanks! May think about dropping down to 2110/2180.

As for a first build, I've done several "short block up" builds so I've got some understanding and lots of friends to help. It's a personality flaw of mine to worry about it first then build it and I'm a little bored at work at the moment.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

First timer over here recently finished a 2180 as my first engine build. The first 500 miles or so it's been rippin' and hasn't skipped a beat Very Happy

I'm that dumb kid down the street who might of bit off more than could be chewed easily... but I mustered thru and did not "go home" Cool

It was a big task and took forever, especially since I got hung up on not only on every single little important detail... but all the petty, meaningless, and trivial ones as well Wink

It was a lot of work, but if you realistically think you can do it you probably can...

Now what would I do? Keep the cam milder and go down to 82 stroke. Maybe a Web 86A or something similar. Maybe pick something around 250-258 duration @ 0.05 and around 0.5" lift at valve ( which depends on rocker ratio— I like 1.4+ ratio.)

Or you can go up to an 86B but the power won't really come on until 2500-3000 rpms (kinda comes on like a turbo... ok not really but you get the point) Dont get me wrong you'd still have plenty of torque to move around the bus in the lower revs, you'll just be sacrificing some off-idle grunt, in exchange for more power when you give it gas... but you'll need to rev up to 4500-5000 to really start to get thrown back in your seat... If that's your thing Wink With 258+ duration @ 0.05 it won't feel as effortlessly snappy down low and off idle.

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

Recommend 82x92 (thick walls) with 5.4 h-beam rods. Just need to remember that 92 thickwalls have a 35mm pin height, not 34mm. Just something to remember during mock-up.

I liked my W125 cam with 1.1 rockers, but you can't go wrong with an 86a or 86b with 1.4 rockers.

Dan sells the Web 252, which is in between the 86a and 86b.

I really like my Nowak cam, super quiet and idles smoothly (312 total duration and 258 @ .050"). You just have to be willing to pay for one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

I´ll take the 163 w 1,25´s any day over the 86a w. 1,4.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

Just curious as to why you prefer that combo. Does it just drive better or have a more suitable power band in your opinion?

They seem to have very similar specs, so wondering what's makes it such an easy decision? Is it mainly that you prefer 1.25 rockers or do you think is mostly the actual cam grind your prefer? I'm sure that's not the best way to generalize the comparison but for sake of the discussion I'm trying to keep it simple.

My question to the OP, you mention a 6500 redline. How often do you plan to shift at 6K? Or how often do you think you'll want to wind up that much? For instance something with around 250 duration @ 0.05 would redline at 6500, but would reach peak torque and horsepower maybe 2000 rpms earlier. Something with 260 duration @ 0.05 would redline at 7200 maybe even 7500 depending on how it was built and it would make peak power around 5500 or a little less. This is all very general but it might give a basic idea to help decide what you want.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

They seem to have very similar specs, so wondering what's makes it such an easy decision? Is it mainly that you prefer 1.25 rockers or do you think is mostly the actual cam grind your prefer? I'm sure that's not the best way to generalize the comparison but for sake of the discussion I'm trying to keep it simple.

Not easy to explain. Lets just say that cam design and grind precission is MUCH more important than people think. Take for instance the classic W110 cam, which "everybody" likes and thinks highly of. Aint it funny how I and others have replaced that cam with say a Web 163 or the Raptor 109 and gained 10 hp and 10 Nm torque on the spot, and with the need of less valve spring tension.
My favourite Scat cam is the C45. If you get your hands on one that is ground precise it will make the engine run like a bat out of you know where. If you get one that is of the poorer precission (which they sadly are most nowadays Confused ) it will barely outperform a W120 cam.

IMHO the 86a is just stupid. In some cases it can have its place in smaller engines like in say 1914´s where you want to keep sgl HD springs and want a little more than a W120, - and like 1,4 ratio rockers.
Almost always the 163 w. 1,25 will make more usable power across the board, especially usable torque.
I am aware that some people claim massive power numbers with the 86a/V26 cams. I have never been even close when I have used them.
If you look at the power curve the 86a pulls a hairs width more peak power than the 163 w . 1,25, but the entire midrange sucks. In some areas up to 10% less torque. If you then make an APB calculation you will notice that the 163 is around 5 hp better.
If you want a good non Webcam off the shelf cam in that range and want the lift to stay below 0,500" the CB 2288 w. 1,25´s is a good choice too, or the FK43 w. 1,25 rockers.

On one occaion this happened: This is type 4, so not entirely comparable. some 10 years ago I built a very nice and very detailed 2260 type 4. I was recommended the 86a (in this case it became the Rat 9600. 412S heads w. 44 x 38 valves and a nice port job. 9,5 CR, 45 Dells custom 4-2-1 header from a very respected exhaust manufacturer. My hopes were high. Come dyno day, and I was so disappointed. Very difficult to tune and nothing to write home about powerwise. It maxed out at 155 hp @ 5500 and 205 Nm torque. also, it wasnt fun to drive. Just when you thought the fun was happening it was already over. This was the second attempt with this overall set up. The first time it resulted in the same numbers basicly, but I thought I had goofed up somewhere, so i tried it once more to try and figure out my error. There was no error, that´s what was in it. This engine was taken apart again because I could not live with that. I replaced the 9600 with a straight 163/86b, everything elsae the same. Got 153 hp @ 5600 and 230 Nm torque. I forgot how much the APB went up, but it was by a significant amount. Another thing. The 163/86b kept pulling to way over 6000. The 9600 fell on it face at 5700.
That was then, this is now. Today I can make the same power with only a 9530 cam.
Maybe, - just maybe, the 86a can work well in a type 1 if it is coupled with a set of 1,5 rockers. It may change the characteristics. I do not know, I have never tried it.
Opinions vary of course, but IMHO the 163 grind is awesome, type 1 or 4. If I need something in between I take a deep look at what CB has to offer, or I talk to Nowak.
Remember, a good set of heads can´t cure a bad cam or cam choice, but a good cam can to some extent cure a bad set of heads.
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
My question to the OP, you mention a 6500 redline. How often do you plan to shift at 6K? Or how often do you think you'll want to wind up that much? For instance something with around 250 duration @ 0.05 would redline at 6500, but would reach peak torque and horsepower maybe 2000 rpms earlier. Something with 260 duration @ 0.05 would redline at 7200 maybe even 7500 depending on how it was built and it would make peak power around 5500 or a little less. This is all very general but it might give a basic idea to help decide what you want.

The answer is not that frequently if at all. As for how I drive, with my current (tired and worn) motor I'm happy in the 2500-3000 range but feel like I'm winding it up pretty tight anything over 4K which it might see 1-2 times on a 30 mile cruise. I usually shift around 3300-3500. 5500 might be a more realistic redline spec. As I'm reading more on cams, etc., I'm leaning towards those that come in at a lower RPM rather than wind out at astronomical RPMs. There's just too many choices and too much info to digest.

An update on size, the 2332 is out, it's now between a 2180 with TW92's and a 2007.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

A 2180cc with good 40x35 heads, and a web 218 will rev to 5500rpm. It will start to pull about 2000rpm, and keep pulling hard, with a peak torque around 3500-4000rpm. Right in the driving range.

If you want a little more sporty feel, do the 163w/1.3 rockers. This will also get you about 500 more rpm. You might loose a touch more rpm down low.

The web 218 is my go-to cam for a lower revving bus engine. I have one in my 2332cc in my baywindow. We drive it everywhere.

Brian
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

What's with all these different cam numbers ! I have to keep going on the ACN website to look em up.
I'd loose the 84mm crank and go with an FK7 and 1.4's
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

2276 in my split panel. Mag case, SCAT 82mm crank / SCAT I beams, C45 cam, CB heads with 44x 37 valves, ported like super pro's, 48 IDA's. The thing is crazy powerful for a bus. Oil runs around 220f on a run (does have an external cooler with fan but no scoops or anything like that) and heads never go above 350. Then again, it is built right by one of the best. Some do say that a 2276 wont work in a bus though......
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

If rpm limits are low, there is no need for T4 center main.

I recommend going as big as you can. 2332, 2387cc.. why not?

thick wall 92's are nice. Go for it... Keep the stroke as big as you can.

The Panchito will work well for the application.

I always get them with dual VW-650 springs, and get the CNC chambers for the added flow and larger chambers.

I recommend something along the lines of an FK-7 cam with 1.4 rockers. (.500" lift) is real easy on those heads.

Keep C/R in the 8.0/1 range and you will no issues with heat. It will stay nice and cool.
Those Panchito heads flow lots of air and run very cool.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

2180+ is a good engine. I agree with Tom, "why not" go bigger? Even with something like a 86B you will still have plenty of torque (actually more,) just it comes on a little later, but it'll be pushing you before you know it.

You say you don't want to shift at 6k (I get it) but it's still fun to have all that power and be able too, even occasionally, I guess it depends on what fun means to you. The powerband of my engine https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0 is probably between 2500-5500 rpms so even when I'm just driving around town calmly I can shift at 3000 and it still feels like its pulling hard. I can even shift lower if I wanted. I can drive 25 mph in 3rd gear without it lugging. I'm not usually a very aggresive driver at all.

I had the same concerns as you and never normally shifted as high as 6k before on my stock engine... but I'm glad I went for more cam on this one...

When a big engine LIKES to rev up, it feels very natural to shift at a higher rpm that you might be used to. At least that's something I've learned through experience.

I'm a go big kinda guy now... sorry. Remember tho, it's your engine so do what you want.

Next engine I build I'm going bigger and meaner (2.5L+) Twisted Evil
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

Why not go bigger eh ?
Here's why
2276 to 2443 is only about 7% increase and you don't automatically
get a 7% increase due to extra frictional loss and windage plus you have to have increase head flow.
Cranks get weak VW put the T4 centremain on the T4 engine or maybe they just did it for fun ? That's why the 84mm T1 main chevy rod crank is refered to as a " flexicrank" and obviously it gets worse the bigger you go.

Then there is the increased rod angle which causes more piston and ring wear
Increased piston speed
Oil windage problems
Longer rods wider engine. barrel spacers,exhaust tinware fitting issues
Case and cam clearancing issues.
Etc

And then when you've either solved or ignored the problems and you arrived as the big dude on the block you get your doors blown off by someone who dropped a 40 shot on his lame ass 2017cc motor Laughing
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 - Split window bus engine 2332 / first build Reply with quote

"Problems" for some are no big deal to others. They are simply design and engineering challenges. A lot of the enjoyment can be in the build itself, and the process that comes with it.

It all depends on what you want. There are reason to go smaller as well as bigger. It all about your goals and what makes it fun for you. Maybe you want to keep it simple and just drive, or you just want to build engines and experiment. Often it's some sort of middle ground.

For some, they take pride in limiting the build to N/A and feel any sort of forced induction or fancy stuff is "cheating" Laughing I can get behind it, tho I still may get a kick out of playing with turbos every once in awhile Twisted Evil

It's often recommended to stay under 82mm crank for a Bus unless you're trying to win a race or something. Its been said that crank flex becomes a problem anything over that stroke... So that might be worth considering if you decide to go wild Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: