Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper motor park mechanism questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
/tmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am seeking some insight into the wipers on a 67 Beetle. They do not park when they are turned off. I checked the voltages on the pins and they have 12V on the appropriate pins as per the switch setting; 12v 53a when the switch is off. I cleaned out the gear case and replaced the wax with white lithium grease. I noticed that the pin adjacent to the wiring block can be easily pulled out / in a few millimeters without any spring back. After replacing the wiper motor and assembly and connecting the wires, with the switch in the off position, the motor ran for a moment and shut off. Now turning the switch to low makes the wiper blades move slowly, switch to fast moves fast. But turning the switch to off then nothing happens. I suspect that the pin is missing a spring. Is this fixable?, If so any suggestions as to how / parts?

A related question: The wiper blades, when oscillating, cover an angle about 90 degrees. I set them to +/- 45 off vertical. Is this the intended position? Should the span of oscillation be more like 120 degrees?

Thanks in advance,

Fred
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

Fred,
I've found that on occasion the new grease/cleaning makes the motor spin freely - read faster. The park pin needs a moment to open the circuit to "park".
Try putting some resistance (or attach the arms) to slow the motor just a pinch to allow circuit to open/close. Use caution - those moving arms can really hurt your fingers.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
/tmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

After regreasing the gears, the wipers moved at about the same speed, albeit with a more uniform motion. Before the regreasing the motion seemed jerky, like the gears were skipping, i.e., getting stuck and releasing.

I used the wipers while it rained and it seems to have a range of about 120 degrees. So, i assume that the resistance when dry is too much for the complete range of motion. Does the park mechanism just run the motor until the pin is pushed in and then stops turning?, i.e., the wiper blades stop within the working range? Or does parking move the blades out of working range? I noticed that putting the switch in the off position the blades have not resistance from the motor.

I suspect that the pin is supposed to have a spring of some sort and the pin is stuck in the off (parked) position. Is there validity to my suspicion and if so is this fixable? I would hate to try and open this part of the wiper motor and break it. At the moment I hardly need the wipers and can manually park them if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

There is a small pin that contacts the internal cam. On the lobe, the pin moves in and out to open the contacts. If the grease is old often that pin gets stuck. Pull the contacts out, pull the pin out and clean/grease.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
/tmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

The gear compartment was cleaned and greased with white lithium. The pin moves in and out without any resistance. When the pin is pushed in, it does not spring back out. I suspect that the spring mechanism that should push the pin out is broken. I need to know what the electrical terminal block part is called so I can find and purchase one. If not, I need to know if the spring mechanism for the pin is fixable or if this part is obtainable. I have not found any instructions or videos on this part of the wiper motor.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

Finding a new or even NOS part like that by itself is going to be pretty much impossible. You might try someone in the classifieds that rebuilds wipers that might have some spare parts.

A few years ago I fixed up a 1965 only bus wiper motor that was having the same problem. Had to come up with a way to replace an insulator for that pin.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

Suggest this seller:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=DL+West-Wiperguy

At the worst he may be willing to fix the part you have that has failed....
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

There is no "spring" to push the pin out. It simply rides on the cam and when the high spot contacts the pin it pushes the pin out to close/open contacts. The resistance/springiness of the contact arms push it back down (hope that makes sense).
Dave
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

Single speed motor shown below, but the park mechanism of the '67 two speed is essentially the same.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

/tmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor park mechanism questions Reply with quote

From my wiper motor park symptoms and the picture, I assume that the '10 - Contact spring' is no longer working properly. Is there any tricks to removing the terminal block from the motor housing?

Thanks all for the replies,

Fred
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: