Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 diesel low dollar build
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

I picked up a dismantled 82 diesel project last winter. Very clean body from Washington state. (I'm in the rust belt, Iowa), witha ton of parts but all apart.
Motivated seller, and I've kinda got a soft spot for these. (I've got a nice 83 with JX spec engine and a 5 speed, but it is a little shorter wheelbase on the left side after a distracted driver...)
This poor thing was taken apart by enthusiastic DPO, a young guy and not sure where he was headed. He took EVERYTHING apart. It is missing the headliner and most interior bits, the heater box, grilles, bumpers hoses.
BUT it came with a completely disassembled Mexican 1.9 IDI like an AAZ, but I suspect it might have been NA version. Boxes of new parts to rebuild the motor and a fresh in box Giles pump.
Not really certain where I'm going with this project. Hell, I'd be really happy with the 1.6TD motor and I have a spare... But I suppose I ought to put the 1.9 together.
In truth, I never did a 1.9 AAZ before. a few 1.6's. This has the TDI D shaped crank snout, A rebuilt head (NOT the original), a turbo.
This body is so completely rust free it is tempting to try to make this my low key forever cruiser. A turbo diesel is so great for climbing mountains. God knows I've spent lots of trips in a WBX in Colorado climbing at 35mph! My first goals will be to put the motor together and the heater/ dash. Since it is missing anyway, I'm tempted to do a modern upgrade with heater and A/C under dash. The 1.9 will most certainly mount a modern A/C compressor in some fashion. The plumbing is zero problem as my brother has a shop and is a whiz at making A/C hoses.
I would probably put in a Westy lower seat/bed and kitchen. With the headliner being gone, it would make a pop top (or high top) conversion easier. My favorite would be an ASI Riviera top.
Also not decided on engine mount bars and transmission to use. I have a lot of transaxles to choose from. Some DK's, 4 speed WBX, 5 speed DX or AAP.
I suppose if I added a condensor it would make sense to go to a modern aluminum radiator? I really like old school brass/ copper radiators, but undecided so far.
This will also run on stock wheel and tires. Maybe go up a size but definitely 14in rims. I've already driven perhaps 700,000 on these spec tires since 1982 on 7 different Vanagons.
So, first decisions are heater air conditioner, and assembling the AAZ. Deciding whether to use intercooler. Plumbing turbo, air cleaner and build exhaust. Choosing motor mounts/ bars.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I confess, last pic is my front yard a few years ago. I sold the Dormie a couple years ago.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

Fun. I look forward to hearing more. In your situation I would build the 1.9TD, add intercooler, use a newer radiator, use the DX and have it rebuilt with a 4.57 R+P, and mount it all using the '83+ carrier bars.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

Good times ahead!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

I like the vise grips assist on steering wheel. Wink

Sounds like you have a lot of options!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Sounds like you have a lot of options!

Neil.

That was a 11:30 pm last best choice to get the steering functional to extricate the Vanagon from its resting place.Turns out the steering hardware was all bagged n tagged, but steering wheel functioning was way better than kicking the tires to line up with the tow vehicle. I flat towed it the 250 miles home in the next 4 hours. Lots more tasty details on that dashboard. I'll have a doorbell button for sale soon.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

That was a 11:30 pm last best choice to get the steering functional to extricate the Vanagon from its resting place.Turns out the steering hardware was all bagged n tagged, but steering wheel functioning was way better than kicking the tires to line up with the tow vehicle. I flat towed it the 250 miles home in the next 4 hours. Lots more tasty details on that dashboard. I'll have a doorbell button for sale soon.

Right on.

I recall having a door bell type button on my '58 Beetle.... many years ago.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Right on.

Neil.

Not for the glow plugs, tho.
Vanagons:
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 82 diesel low dollar build Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

.... Lots more tasty details on that dashboard. I'll have a doorbell button for sale soon.

Neil.

Not for the glow plugs, tho.

LOL. Oh my. So that button was the "fifth glow plug?" Or, hand warmer? Wink

Oddly enough, my 40 HP (upgrade) engine was bereft of glow plugs. Wink

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: