Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RunnerGimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

I was told if I posted HELP in all caps, someone might be able to help me since I'm in distress. I'm at High Country Bus Festival, and my brake fluid started leaking on my foot while coming here. People have looked at it and said that is what I need. Unfortunately there is not one to be had anywhere close or to even have delivered. Thought I'd try here as a last resort to see if anyone was in the area of Crumpler, NC and had one so we could switch it out and I could get home safely.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Shannon
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Can't advise on local help, but there is a plastic nipple right side of the reservoir that can break and leak. It supplies fluid to the clutch hydraulics. Pop the cover off the instrument cluster and give the master and reservoir of good look. There is a hose leading off the nipple. This is for a manual trans, so I guess they would have that fitting plugged or something for an automatic. Check either way. Hopefully that's all it is and you can make a field repair. Otherwise, I hope someone can help you.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

A knowledgeable friend should be there with a Burgandy Vanagon camper. His name is Kai. I’d have him look at it. It’s highly unlikely it’s the actual master cylinder leaking on your foot. When they leak, it goes into the sealed booster. The reservoir or the reservoir seals may be the leak. They could be temporarily resealed. If this is a manual, the clutch hydraulics share the brake reservoir. An experienced set of eyes is what you need. Knowing Kai, he may have a spare master.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

First thing....... WELCOME!
Sorry your first visit is in a time of trouble but we are glad you are here.

While not common, the brake light switch could be leaking.

I agree about it being unlikely that your wet foot is from a failed master cylinder.

Did the brakes work OK on the trip to where you are?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Hopefully you will find someone there in the group, with enough knowledge to help you do a temp fix to get home. Keep us posted.

Craig
RunnerGimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Thanks all! It's been looked at and is definitely the master brake cylinder. The res. is still over half full so they think I'll be okay to drive it home. I'm getting towed to the bottom of the mountain for safety and will drive home from there.

I met Kai!

Thanks again everyone!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

How is it leaking on your feet???
The only possible ways to leak are out where the pedal pushrod pushes, but that is in the vacuum booster.

Out where the pressure switches are

Out ehere the fluid reservoir attaches.

Most likely leak is where the pedal pushes but that drains into the booster.
If the booster fills it gets sucked into the engine and burned.

???

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

I just had a master go out on me. Mine leaked internally so the pedal was soft. If is a slow external leak, and you have a good solid pedal, you'll be fine. Drive way ahead though.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Just wondering, have you had a chance to get parts and fix your leak?

I am really curious where the fluid was coming from.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Jennybenny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Bumping an old thread.

Yesterday after my 1989 was siitting for a couple of weeks in freezing / near freezing weather over the holidays, I got in my and saw liquid on the floor mat. I thought my wife had moved the vehicle, with a little snow on her shoes, to avoid a parking ticket (nyc) and it was just melted water, so we started on our trip.

I get out a couple of blocks later to pull the parking ticket off the windshield (nyc) and notice the sole of my shoe is slick. Go back in, yep that’s brake fluid. Cuss swear shake my head and load out the family and take the train to our destination.

Today I took the instrument cluster out and lowered the fuse panel. No leaks I can find but the inside (upward facing part of the steering column cover) is damp. Check around every in and out of the master cylinder but it is dry. Fluid level is at max.

Any ideas where to look? I couldn’t see the back side (fire wall) side of anything.

1989 auto with Subaru 2.5
1-2year old big brakes up front, disc on back (prior owner)
Master cylinder looked new as did the reservoir
No leaks at various fittings for electronic components
Reservoir looked to have factory sealed / blanked barb on passenger side for manual trans - area was dry
Likely first time vehicle has seen below freezing for any period since rebuild.
Brakes felt fine
No drips while it warmed up for 10 minutes or drove a couple of blocks

Jason

quote="djkeev"]Just wondering, have you had a chance to get parts and fix your leak?

I am really curious where the fluid was coming from.

Dave[/quote]
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP-1990 Vanagon Westy needs Brake Master Cylinder Reply with quote

Jennybenny wrote:
...my 1989 was sitting for a couple of weeks in freezing / near freezing weather over the holidays...

Sometimes leaks will occur in very cold temps then 'magically' disappear when things are a bit warmer.

I would clean everything up and be vigilant looking for a recurrence. That lower steering shroud is no help as it can actually delay the discovery of a small leak.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: