Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbelsw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and also new to vw vans. I am interested in buying a VW T3 van. I think its a vanagon in the US and a caravelle in europe. I dont know much about pricing and wanted to get a second opinion. I found this forum and was hoping someone with a similiar van might be able to help me out.

The van is a 1989 T3 with a 1.6 diesel engine and 250,000 km. no rust and everything seems in pretty good shape for 1989. I'm thinking I can get it for around $8000 CDN, is it worth it. I appreciate any help.

[/img]
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help. I want to buy a vw van and know very little Reply with quote

If your not reading some of the sticky threads on top, check them out. Lots of info there on various topics. Pretty sure there's cost/value discussion. Some folks get lucky, some don't, some make their own luck with knowledge and obsessive compulsive hunting and patience.

Welcome and good luck to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help. I want to buy a vw van and know very little Reply with quote

You don't mention where in the Dominion of Canada you reside and hope to travel -- but if is in the area with big mountains you might read up on comments vis a vis power, climbing and 1.6 diesels.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help. I want to buy a vw van and know very little Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
You don't mention where in the Dominion of Canada you reside and hope to travel -- but if is in the area with big mountains you might read up on comments vis a vis power, climbing and 1.6 diesels.

Welcome to the Forum
Ahwahnee makes a very valid point. If you are going uphill you need power especially if you are loaded down for camping.
Going downhill the original brake disc design is a non-ventilated rotor. So you will have the opportunity to experience brake overheating and fading to a dangerous level if you ride your brakes without thinking about it.
Note: The original brakes system as designed into the Vanagon works well if it is maintained properly. It does provide adequate braking The problem is that people just drive too fast and outdrive the safe stopping distance in normal situations. (something about the Zen of driving a vehicle designed 35-40 yrs ago.)
Long downhill grades are another matter and something to be aware of.

Before spending your money spend your time instead by reading the FAQ thread and take a look at engine conversions and "Big Brake Mods" threads that have been done. If you are mechanically minded you could plan on doing the work yourself or know what to look for when buying one to see if and what upgrades have been done

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

If it is an '89 from Europe it is more likely a 1.6 turbo-diesel rather than a 1.6 non-turbo. The difference in performance is very significant. It is the difference between a slow but relatively reasonable vehicle and a dangerously low vehicle.

Tin top or pop top or high top?

What transmission?

Pics?
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

I suggest you read every post by the hapless "Daizee" from a few years back. If you still want to own one of these and have no mechanical skills, well then...

One word: Don't.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

If it has 250,000 on the original 1.6TD then the engine just might be worn out. A common rookie mistake with diesels is that the seller dumps a worn out diesel during the hottest days of summer. Then when fall comes it won’t start up due to cold mornings. At that point two things happen. If you are lucky, a good mechanic will tell you the engine is shot. A bad mechanic will tell you it “needs a head job”. Only after you throw thousands at it and it still doesnt work well you eventually find out the engine is worn out. Then you either throw up you hands in despair OR you throw more money at it. “More money" in this case means you rebuild the stock engine because you already have expensive new parts on it. Then when it finally is running good you regret rebuilding that stock engine because you could have gotten a bigger more powerful more modern engine for the same money. If only you had known from the start this would happen.

This is the typical sob story of the diesel Vanagon buyer. Yes, it is a great vehicle, but dont get sucked into the standard story line.

The good news is, that is a good price for what you describe. Even if September comes and the engine won't start on cold mornings, all is not lost. You could use pro tricks to keep that engine running for two years while you save up for an engine upgrade. You avoid the above sad story and you have a great van in the end, having avoided the rookie pitfalls. Good luck!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

a buncha questions for you....

- do you know very little about vanagons or automotive things in general?

- what are your expectations after purchase in terms of 'turn key' van vs fixer-upper?

- you are buying essentially a 'classic car' or as we call them, an antique. are you prepared to either learn how to maintain your vehicle or are you wealthy enough to hire out thousands, possibly tens of thousands of dollars of work?

- will this be your only vehicle?

- do you want a guarentee of reliability after purchase? because this doesn't exist with an antique car. you drive away and take your chance. you IMPROVE your chance by knowing exactly what you are buying. even then, old dogs get bit by surprise.

- are you a person okay with imperfection, slowness, and unpredicted breakdowns? these vehicles have great rewards but at the cost of uncertainty. uncertainty is reduced with preparation, knowledge, skills, and money.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

If you can’t maintain it yourself and you don’t have a vanagon mechanic on speed dial already, I would recommend passing on it. If you have tools and mechanical skills or a big wallet for your vanagon Guru on speed dial, go for it. Pictures or it didn’t happen.
dubbelsw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help. I want to buy a vw van and know very little Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
If your not reading some of the sticky threads on top, check them out. Lots of info there on various topics. Pretty sure there's cost/value discussion. Some folks get lucky, some don't, some make their own luck with knowledge and obsessive compulsive hunting and patience.

Thanks, i will do that. Honestly, this forum os a bit intimidating at first with so many different topics so i just thought I'd make a post. I'll dive a little deeper though.
dubbelsw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help. I want to buy a vw van and know very little Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

Ontario, but a trip to bc is always possible too.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help. I want to buy a vw van and know very little Reply with quote

dubbelsw wrote:
Crankey wrote:

Thanks, i will do that. Honestly, this forum os a bit intimidating at first with so many different topics so i just thought I'd make a post. I'll dive a little deeper though.

You need some skin here because people aren’t shy to tell you the real deal, not the sunshine and lollipops version

You won’t find a better resource of people with deep knowledge anywhere though. Don’t even mention Facebook , ship of fools
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help. I want to buy a vw van and know very little Reply with quote

dubbelsw wrote:
Crankey wrote:

There are so many topics because these vehicles are getting quite old,
The newest model year is 1991. Happy 30th birthday!
The oldest is 1980, some were built in mid 1979. These are 41 years old, soon to be 42.

By and large vehicles are not designed to be daily drivers after 30 years.
Pieces of plastic crack and break.
Mechanical items simply have worn out.
Volkswagen no long supports these models hence parts have gone NLA (No Longer Available)
We need to make parts or find other parts from other newer vehicles or from the hardware stores that we can make work!
I was at ACE hardware three times yesterday trying to gather what I needed to make a repair.

We share what we find works and individuals will build "how to" threads so others can learn and follow.

It is a hobby, a passion, a sickness even that we have.

Some have mentioned the financial cost.
The purchase price we tongue in cheek refer to as your entry fee.
Most, but certainly not all, most units wear decades of deferred maintenance and some wear the signs of abuse.
It can all be fixed, but parts alone will often be the $1,000’s, some times 10’s of $1,000’s.
And this is doing the work yourself.
If you pay a skilled person to fix your van the price sky rockets up into frighteningly high numbers.

Many of us are financially "up side down" in these units. The money we have spent and the time invested will not be recouped at sale time.

We welcome you with open arms and will help you in anyway we can.

Ask questions, (There are no stupid questions) post photos, just shop with wisdom and patience.

Leave emotions out of the purchase, look at every Van offered for sale with a suspicious eye.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

Here there be dragons…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

I hope you hate money.

Buying the Vanagon is the cheapest part of owning a Vanagon.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

First look in the classifieds for member cjdixon''s ad for a buying support service. Trustworthy.

Secondly, these vans are a great platform to learn how to do for yourself. Between the Internet and our wonderful vendor community, more than 90% of the parts and information you need are readily available.

Learning to work on your van will translate to being more proficient at many things. I rebuilt the upflush machine for my basement bathroom recently. I never would have tried that pre van.

Finally, vanagons are awesome! Utilitarian, fun to drive, iconic, and you can camp in them. Have fun!
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

Step one. Stay away from Bring-A- Trailer. :p
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

The bank account draining does not last forever. Either you spend the first few years fixing and doing all kinds of deferred maintenance and you have a reliable vehicle or you spend the first few years draining your bank account, give up and sell it. Either way the spending eventually tapers.

Not to scare you away, but as long as you go into this adventure prepared, you will do just fine. Along the way you will learn many things, make great memories and meet great people. Just never think of a Vanagon the same way as you would a modern Golf or Civic. Always remember you are driving an antique. Each one is finicky and once you learn the quirks, you will get a smile on your face every time you turn the key.

Also test drive a petrol Vanagon after you test drive that diesel. It will feel like a rocket ship.

If you are not a mechanic, talk to some local shops before buying. Not just any shop can or will work on these.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

What I tell people, if this isn’t going to be your main “hobby”, then forget it.
(I say similar about people romantic about wood stoves as well).
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help - I want to buy a VW van and know very little Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
What I tell people, if this isn’t going to be your main “hobby”, then forget it.
(I say similar about people romantic about wood stoves as well).

Laughing

i'd rather drag 10 vanagons out of the woods than move 1 wood stove

whatever you do, run it by the group first OR GET A PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION by a shop that would know vw's at minimum

even if the inspection seems to be a lot (2-300.00) it could be the best money spent.

i get so tired of writing death certificates on some junk that a starry eyed purchaser overpaid for a bucket of shit they just bought because they "got a good deal on it" only to find out that for a little more $ they could have bought one that needed little to no work

nothing worse than getting the list from a POST purchase inspection.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: