Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight replacement help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

Hello there, I'm attempting to upgrade the sealed headlights in my 74 VW single cab to a pair of Vintage Car LED headlights. When I took the assembly out I noticed that the Vintage Car LED lights don't have the same attachment brackets as the originals. I'm wondering if I can attach them with additional hardware or if I need a new headlight assembly.

Old headlight trim only has 1 screw.
Old Headlights are Bosch CR E1 14550R7
New headlights are Vintage Car LED VC5000 ULTIMATE 7 INCH

Any help would be appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

Unless you are in Europe those aren't the original headlights, they look like those Mexican ones many sellers were offering a few years ago. To use those new ones you'll have to find a pair of original sealed beam style headlight baskets.

Some examples from a classifieds search: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

That explains it. This is coming out of a bus that just came over from Italy. Do I need to swap out the single screw chrome trim for a 3 screw trim?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

Those use the single screw trim, the 3 screw is for the Euro bulb and reflector units.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

I got a pair of buckets that work great, courtesy of the The Samba Classifieds. The lights now fit great, but they don't turn on for anything other than the high-beams.

The new lights are 25W DC 10V-30V. When the car is on they are off. When the headlight switch is pulled, the new lights are off. When the headlight switch is pulled to high-beam, the new lights turn on.

The old European sealed lights have 3 electrical connections to them: a 3 prong plug, and two smaller connectors that attach to tabs on the back of the light that are embossed with, "3" and what looks like, "58." These new lights only have the 3 prong connector.

The old headlights work fine both in the on position and highbeams.

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

If you get lucky Busdaddy will return or Telford Dorr will jump in.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

The Euro lights have a second small bulb in them for the first click of the headlight switch, since you are converting to a North American style light you'll either have to convert your signal lights to dual filament, or drill the reflectors in those LED's to accept a small push in bulb in a rubber grommet.

When you say "high beams" are you referring to two different light levels on the second pull of the switch?, or just the now missing weak glow on the first pull of the switch?

Слава Україні!
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

Whoops, I was wrong about the high beams, I see where those are. Yes, I am referring to the two different levels of the of the pull of the headlight switch.

What is the first pull of the switch for? Daytime running lights?

Are the signal lights the ones above the headlights, the ones behind the front doors, or both?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

Quote:

In Europe they are called city lights, or in a skewed way low beams sometimes. The second click is called main beams (headlights in NA), they have two brightness options chosen by pulling back on the signal lever. In North America the first click is called parking lights, but instead of the headlights the signal lights light up, they use a dual filament bulb that's a lower wattage than the signals.
Quote:
Are the signal lights the ones above the headlights, the ones behind the front doors, or both?

On a 74 it's the ones above the headlights, the ones on the doors are just reflectors on all models (some never even came with those). It's the lights that flash when you move the signal switch on the column up or down to signal a turn.

Слава Україні!
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

This is really useful to know, thank you.

I'll look into either adding a bulb in the lights or converting the turn signals to a dual filament bulb. In the meantime I wrapped the unused electrical connections in electrical tape and connected up the new headlights. They still work on that second pull of the headlight knob and the signals work too when I engage them. Are there any downsides to running my truck like this for now?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

Mattink wrote:
Are there any downsides to running my truck like this for now?

Depends on the cop, you didn't mention where you are, but around here no front parking lights may provoke a fix it ticket if he's feeling prickly. If you forgo the first click and just run headlights it's likely not an issue.
If you live in a country that forbids headlights until after sundown but requires running lights at dusk (don't know if that's even a thing) you may find out right away.

Слава Україні!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

The housings you removed are much better than the Chinese housing that you bought with the LED lights. 99.9% of the drop in H4 LED bulbs are poor at best. Just because it's brighter does not make it better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

In the UK, first pull on the light switch on the dash is the parking lights (5w bulbs, IIRC, in the headlight housing) and tail lights (no side markers etc in most of Europe at the time).

Second detent gets headlights on (60/55w bulbs if halogen, or 45/40w for normal bulbs), with low and high beam controlled by the column stalk.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight replacement help Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Quote:

In Europe they are called city lights, or in a skewed way low beams sometimes. The second click is called main beams (headlights in NA), they have two brightness options chosen by pulling back on the signal lever. In North America the first click is called parking lights, but instead of the headlights the signal lights light up, they use a dual filament bulb that's a lower wattage than the signals.
Quote:

On a 74 it's the ones above the headlights, the ones on the doors are just reflectors on all models (some never even came with those). It's the lights that flash when you move the signal switch on the column up or down to signal a turn.

I think poor old "Busdaddy" is getting confused about what various automotive lamps are called on either side of the Atlantic Ocean.

The first dashboard-switch pulled position, is for tail-lights, rear-licence-plate-light, front & rear side-marker lights (if fitted - obligatory only in North America!) and front side-lights (aka parking lights or position lights).

The second dashboard-switch pulled position, is for headlights only, which may be on either main-beam (high-beam in North American parlance) or dipped-beam (low-beam in North American parlance), controlled by the steering-column-mounted, headlamp dip & flasher (dimmer in North American parlance) stalk-switch and headlamp dip & flasher (dimmer in North American parlance) relay.

samwise wrote:
In the UK, first pull on the light switch on the dash is the parking lights (5w bulbs, IIRC, in the headlight housing) and tail lights (no side markers etc in most of Europe at the time).

Second detent gets headlights on (60/55w bulbs if halogen, or 45/40w for normal bulbs), with low and high beam controlled by the column stalk.

I retro-fitted North American specification side-marker lights to my British specification 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 in the late-1970s.

The conventional 45/40W glass-envelope, globe-shaped bulbs have P45t mounting flanges.

The 60/55W and some higher-power quartz-halogen bulbs, are available with either P45t mounting flanges (typically substitutes for conventional 45/40W glass-envelope-bulb headlamps) or P43t mounting flanges (for purpose-made H4 quartz-halogen headlamps).

I have 100/80W H4 quartz-halogen bulbs with P45t mounting flanges for my conventional 45/40W glass-envelope-bulb headlamps. Very Happy

H4 quartz-halogen and other headlamp bulb, P45t & P43t flange fittings

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=338649

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: