Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
wannavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

I just bought a '67 bug. The exterior is very worn and weathered. Over the years, someone replaced the original license plate, so now it has a newer California plate. Well... you can now purchase a new California license plate from the DMV with the old '60s color scheme. I was thinking of buying one, but it'll stick out like a sore thumb. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to artificially age one of these plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

There are many ways to distress the plate(s). For starters, you can hit them with some very fine Scotch Brite and dull the shine. Even a bit more on some edges of the characters to simulate years of car washes. Ding one a little here or there and tap it straight? You can also try spraying some cleaners on and just let them dry in the sun, see if it slightly discolors the black, then buff with Scotch Brite (always try this on inconspicuous edges, or in the sticker wells before applying the YR/MO decals).

But here's where I think you're going wrong: even though CA offers black/yellow plates, the numbering format is hokey as hell, and it will look like a wannabe original style attempt but stick out like a sore thumb due to the number/letter scheme, it's not even close to original looking.

If you really want the look, just step up and pay for some real plates from that year, it's the YOM Program. Then you gotta pay up for the sticker too. But in the end, it's a one-time expense, adds immensely to the value of the car, and best of all, people will envy you, rather than chuckle behind your back. Smile

Edit: http://www.oldplateguy.com/YOM-Information-for-1963-to-1969-California-Vehicles.html

http://www.oldplateguy.com/CA-YOM-DMV-Stickers-For...ation.html

You need the sticker for a one-time registration process at the DMV. It has to be applied to one of your YOM plates. They'll photocopy the plates with sticker and send to Sac. If/when approved, you'll get the ridiculous tag mounts and you're supposed to carry your "real" current stickers on those tabs. Better: save the one plate with the '67 sticker, and just run the other single plate on the rear, with the "real" stickers. Cops won't know or care, and if you ever get a fix-it, just put the other plate up front and get it signed off (but there's a snowball's chance in hell that you'll ever get a fix-it) (I've done it).

Last edited by Busstom on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

Well... as it relates to your '67 to begin with, the new 21st century black and yellow California "60's style black plates" option is a 7 or 8 digit affair, (not 6) leading off with a number followed by more characters and numbers, unless it's been ordered as a personalized message plate.

Also, the character stampings appear a bit more 'squat' on the newbies, and no amount of artificial weathering can change that. This is a dead giveaway compared to the original thing, issued from 1963 - 1969 with only 6 characters: 3 letters, space, then 3 numbers. You CANNOT special order the original alpha / numerical sequencing on the new style black and yellow plates! Basically for 1967, the letters sequences began with "T", "U", and "V" for authenticity. The only thing in common with the real deal is the original color scheme

I've attached a photo below of a corner of my original issue black / yellow '63 series plates on my 67 convertible - note the stack of annual renewal stickers, which shows over 50 years of continuous registration history!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

wannavanagon wrote:
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to artificially age one of these plates.

Not that anyone really cares, but in CA, it's illegal to alter a vehicle's license plate in any way. This even includes restoring/refinishing a plate back to original condition.

Busstom wrote:
...even though CA offers black/yellow plates, the numbering format is hokey as hell, and it will look like a wannabe original style attempt but stick out like a sore thumb due to the number/letter scheme, it's not even close to original looking.

I see very few of these new blk/yel plates on the classic cars for which they were originally intended. The overwhelming majority are seen on newer cars whose owners paid the extra money simply to have a black license plate Confused
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
wannavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Well... as it relates to your '67 to begin with, the new 21st century black and yellow California "60's style black plates" option is a 7 or 8 digit affair, (not 6) leading off with a number followed by more characters and numbers, unless it's been ordered as a personalized message plate.

Also, the character stampings appear a bit more 'squat' on the newbies, and no amount of artificial weathering can change that. This is a dead giveaway compared to the original thing, issued from 1963 - 1969 with only 6 characters: 3 letters, space, then 3 numbers. You CANNOT special order the original alpha / numerical sequencing on the new style black and yellow plates! Basically for 1967, the letters sequences began with "T", "U", and "V" for authenticity. The only thing in common with the real deal is the original color scheme

I've attached a photo below of a corner of my original issue black / yellow '63 series plates on my 67 convertible - note the stack of annual renewal stickers, which shows over 50 years of continuous registration history!

Yeah... i think it'll still look better than the newer California plates it has on it now. I ordered "TYP 00I." The last digit is the letter "I" instead of the number 1. It was the closest I could get to the 60s sequencing.
wannavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
wannavanagon wrote:
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to artificially age one of these plates.

Not that anyone really cares, but in CA, it's illegal to alter a vehicle's license plate in any way. This even includes restoring/refinishing a plate back to original condition.

Busstom wrote:
...even though CA offers black/yellow plates, the numbering format is hokey as hell, and it will look like a wannabe original style attempt but stick out like a sore thumb due to the number/letter scheme, it's not even close to original looking.

I see very few of these new blk/yel plates on the classic cars for which they were originally intended. The overwhelming majority are seen on newer cars whose owners paid the extra money simply to have a black license plate Confused

Yeah... i hate to see the 60s plates on newer cars.
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
wannavanagon wrote:

the DMV does not care, we just registered our 60 with plates from old plate guy no issues at all.

The tag tabs have since been removed. No One is pulling over my 60yo mom for plate violations.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

car_cursed wrote:
rcooled wrote:
wannavanagon wrote:

the DMV does not care, we just registered our 60 with plates from old plate guy no issues at all.

The tag tabs have since been removed. No One is pulling over my 60yo mom for plate violations.

Does CA require a matched pair of plates to run old YOM plates? That is one way the WA is pretty cool, we only need a single plate for YOM registration. My buggy is registered with a WA '63 plate.

WA makes YOM plates a permanent registration too. No yearly tags, or taxes, required!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

wannavanagon wrote:
I just bought a '67 bug. The exterior is very worn and weathered. Over the years, someone replaced the original license plate, so now it has a newer California plate. Well... you can now purchase a new California license plate from the DMV with the old '60s color scheme. I was thinking of buying one, but it'll stick out like a sore thumb. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to artificially age one of these plates.

What are California's requirements to run a YOM (year of manufacturer) plate? Do you need a pair or just a rear? Do actual YOM plates have to the exact original plate that came with your car or can you hunt down a pair of correct year plates to use? I wasn't sure when CA made their plate changes so I punched "California 1967 license plate" into Google and this was the first thing I found.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
wannavanagon wrote:

What are California's requirements to run a YOM (year of manufacturer) plate? Do you need a pair or just a rear? Do actual YOM plates have to the exact original plate that came with your car or can you hunt down a pair of correct year plates to use? I wasn't sure when CA made their plate changes so I punched in "California 1967 license plate" and this was the first thing I found.

You will need a matching PAIR of plates to register under the "YOM" program in California. They do not have to be the exact original plate that came with the car.

California made the change to black background, yellow characters, 'AAA 000' format in 1963, running through all alpha numeric combinations until late 1969 when 'ZZZ 999' was reached. From late 1969 through 1979, a light blue background plate with yellow characters, and reversed '000 AAA' was used, however, cars that had the previous black and yellow format plates were allowed to keep the plates on the cars without having to replace them with the new style ones. Unlike in 1963 when all the 1956 issued yellow background, black characters plates had to be replaced with the new black plates by March of 1963.

The link to the "California 1967 license plate" you have above would be for an early series issue from 63 - 64, and would look "off" on a 1967 original car! Dead giveaway that it wouldn't be original with the "D" sequence. It would be a nice set for an earlier car. T - V alpha sequence is proper for 1967.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
ou will need a matching PAIR of plates to register under the "YOM" program in California. They do not have to be the exact original plate that came with the car.

California made the change to black background, yellow characters, 'AAA 000' format in 1963, running through all alpha numeric combinations until late 1969 when 'ZZZ 999' was reached. From late 1969 through 1979, a light blue background plate with yellow characters, and reversed '000 AAA' was used, however, cars that had the previous black and yellow format plates were allowed to keep the plates on the cars without having to replace them with the new style ones. Unlike in 1963 when all the 1956 issued yellow background, black characters plates had to be replaced with the new black plates by March of 1963.

The link to the "California 1967 license plate" you have above would be for an early series issue from 63 - 64, and would look "off" on a 1967 original car! Dead giveaway that it wouldn't be original with the "D" sequence. It would be a nice set for an earlier car. T - V alpha sequence is proper for 1967.

Thanks for the information about the California YOM system. Does the state check that the correct year is being used based on starting letter? Do those at shows and events really notice that stuff? Here is a part starting with a U and another pair starting with a V. I don't know what they generally cost but it is nice to see pretty clean unrestored plates.

In Washington we only need the rear plate. That is a blessing and curse. Easier to find and seems to keep the prices lower. When looking for a plate I would keep a good licensing agent phone number handy to run it. If the other one was already being used in the YOM program the plate could not be used. The 3 letters that begin a WA plate number track back to the county of original issue (just the first letter for '53-'57.) My buggy plate is originally issued in Kitsap county WA. No one has noticed at any car show. Perhaps someone will notice when I put the Marable Motors Aberdeen WA license plate frame on it (in Grays Harbor county.)
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Does the state check that the correct year is being used based on starting letter?

I had to bring the YOM plates for my '63 down to the CA DMV office to complete the transaction. They ran the # to verify that it wasn't already active, made sure that the plates were in good shape and clearly readable, then used a magnet to determine that they were original CA issue steel plates (repros are aluminum). The DMV also requires that plates used for YOM registration have a 'year' sticker attached that matches your car's model year. These are sometimes difficult to come by, but good repro stickers are available on eBay, and the DMV doesn't seem to notice the difference, or care. Any letter/number sequence can be used for YOM registration...doesn't matter if it's in the correct range for a particular model year car.

When I did the YOM thing with my '63 Beetle, I was lucky enough to find a set of plates with a letter/number combo that would've been seen on my car had it originally been registered in CA back in the day. Not necessary to go that far with it though.

Quote:
Do those at shows and events really notice that stuff?

I do...and I think others do as well. Noticing small items like this shows how much attention to detail was applied to the car. Stuff like this can be easily missed by the casual observer though.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:

When I did the YOM thing with my '63 Beetle, I was lucky enough to find a set of plates with a letter/number combo that would've been seen on my car had it originally been registered in CA back in the day. Not necessary to go that far with it though.

Quote:
Do those at shows and events really notice that stuff?

I do...and I think others do as well. Noticing small items like this shows how much attention to detail was applied to the car. Stuff like this can be easily missed by the casual observer though.

I go out of my way to look for the attention paid to all the small details on the show cars I look at. I feel it tells me if the owner/caretaker is really passionate about his/her car or not. But that's just my opinion.

For example - at VW shows, I always look to see if the cars have a thermostat and flap/ring system still installed. I'd say maybe one in ten cars still have it, if that many.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Dead giveaway that it wouldn't be original with the "D" sequence. It would be a nice set for an earlier car. T - V alpha sequence is proper for 1967.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. I agree if the plates were sent from Sacramento, but not if you went to a local DMV and got plates like most people did. The more rural DMV facilities still had inventory of the original plates that they were issued in 1963. I have a list of those charts somewhere, and have proven it out multiple times. I myself have owned all original 67’s with A,B,U,&V. All were original issued plates with pink slips to document it.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

House wrote:
67conv wrote:
Dead giveaway that it wouldn't be original with the "D" sequence. It would be a nice set for an earlier car. T - V alpha sequence is proper for 1967.

I agree if the plates were sent from Sacramento, but not if you went to a local DMV and got plates like most people did.

....all original 67’s with A,B,U,&V. All were original issued plates with pink slips to document it.

The '63-'69 CA license plates were sent out in blocks to the various local DMV offices when they were first issued...so just depends on how/where a particular car was first registered as to what letter/no. combo it got. I remember seeing a list somewhere of which offices received which particular letter/number groups, but don't recall where. I checked it for the 'V'-series original plates on my '67 Ghia and saw them listed as being local to where the car was first sold back in the day, so that may be how it worked.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

House wrote:
67conv wrote:

Sorry, but this is incorrect. I agree if the plates were sent from Sacramento, but not if you went to a local DMV and got plates like most people did. The more rural DMV facilities still had inventory of the original plates that they were issued in 1963. I have a list of those charts somewhere, and have proven it out multiple times. I myself have owned all original 67’s with A,B,U,&V. All were original issued plates with pink slips to document it.

Washington has its share funniness too. When the "WASH 63" plate came out it was the first time in decades that WASHINGTON had not been spelled out in full on passenger car license plates. Most people traveled by car to vacation in those days so that pissed some people off. That prompted the 1963 legislature to pass a law saying no new design passenger car plates series could be issued that don't have the state name in full. So when 1964 came around the DOL kept issuing WASH 63 plates. In 1964 the legislature decided that the year of original issue would no longer be required (they would issue year stickers starting with the original purchase) and the department of licensing could make that change to the current design. So starting in 1965 we have the WASHINGTON at the bottom plates. Since these plates are considered the same issue counties didn't get them until their existing stock of WASH 63 where used up. Some counties never issued Washington at the bottom plates, using their existing WASH 63 plates all the way through 1967. Oh, all this fuss started with a requirement to provide a place for 2 stickers with the new 1963 design. The legislature was thinking about registering by month of purchase so everyone didn't renew at the end of the year. They never got around issuing month stickers until 1976!

As a result, for our YOM license plate program WA will accept a WASH 63 plate for cars registered as 1963 through 1967. For cars registered as 1964 through 1967 they will also accept the use of a WASHINGTON at the bottom plate. If you bring an old plate to run on your car will run it to make sure it isn't in use and then compare it to a series of images of what style plate are acceptable your year vehicle. It sounds like the CA program is similar, except for the need for 2 matching plates and the need to display current tags on separate holders.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
I remember seeing a list somewhere of which offices received which particular letter/number groups, but don't recall where.

This is the one I was referring to:
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

House wrote:
rcooled wrote:
I remember seeing a list somewhere of which offices received which particular letter/number groups, but don't recall where.

This is the one I was referring to:

This is true for the first year's rollout or so of the black plates, but it changed to the alpha numeric combo based on registration year sometime around 1965. The DMV realized that keying to the county of issue would ultimately NOT work, as people were moving around the state too much and taking their cars with them, coupled with just having too many cars in California at the time! Thus, the DMV began issuing the black and yellow plates in alphabetical order in around 1965.

So after a year or so of the initial county based 'trot-out' of the black plates, If the first letter of the 3 letter set is a L,M, or N the plate was issued in 1964-65. If O, P, or Q, about 1965-66. If R, S, or T - issued in 1966-67. If U, V or W, it was issued in 1967-68. And, if it is an X, Y, or Z, the plate was issued in 1968-69 at which time the combinations ran out.

Since I am from the Los Angeles area then and now, I can only speak from the So Cal perspective which might be quite different than rural Northern California counties. But, make your own observations from KNOWN original black plate cars from this era at any car show. Original California Porsche 912's will demonstrate this clearly 1966-69.

We lived in the San Fernando Valley at the time of the new black plate switch over. My dad purchased a new 1963 Mercury Comet in May 1963. Our plate alpha sequence was HJF - which correlates to the North Hollywood office on the above list. (our office was Winnetka) Dad bought a new 1965 Volvo 122 in Studio City, plate sequence was P series by then. My Grandfather bought a new 1965 Ford Galaxie in fall of 65, in LA. RSC 204 was it's plate. Then, in early 1967 dad traded the Volvo in on a new '67 Fairlane - TYE 937 was it's plate. My current 1967 VW convertible originally registered here in California, is TVW 023. Again, one last time in May of 1969, my Dad traded his Fairlane in on another new Volvo 144. It's plate was ZDG 146. You can see by late summer of 1969, the combo's were running out!

All of this ridiculous minutia regarding "ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA BLACK PLATES" only truly mattered before (yes - BEFORE!) the DMV allowed the black plates as a "YOM" option about 15 years ago. For ONE reason, and one reason only! And that was the likelihood of that black plated car to be rust free! Since the state of California allowed the original set of plates to stay on the car since new, it meant when you encountered an original registered black plated California car (before the YOM allowance) it WOULDN'T BE A RUST BUCKET! An original California car with black plates meant no structural rust issues..a huge bonus on any German car of the era! Nowadays, anyone can find a matching set of black plates on eBay (likely with wrong sequence!) and put them on a car that came from Ohio or New Jersey or any other rust belt state at some point that was imported into California.

When started a few decades ago, the original YOM plate program in California was limited to the 1956 issue yellow / black plates because they were all recalled from use off any vehicles by March 1963, and were not in current "normal" registration as were the remaining original black plates are to this day. By allowing the black plates to be a "YOM" option, I feel that it watered down the real reason it even mattered to begin with!

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Nowadays, anyone can find a matching set of black plates on eBay (likely with wrong sequence!) and put them on a car that came from Ohio or New Jersey or any other rust belt state at some point that was imported into California.

There's a way to tell if a car was originally registered in CA, or brought into the state after the fact. On the registration card, under the heading of "Type", an original CA-registered vehicle will be coded as "11". YOM registrations will have the code "M0". This might only apply to cars. Trucks, if eligible for this program, probably use different codes.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone try to "age" a new California '60s plate? Reply with quote

I agree that a “black plate car” is basically meaningless these days…
But I still consider an original one as a prized possession.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: