Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trends68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

I have a buddy looking for main bearings that are 0.025 over stock? Anyone out there know where to find such a thing? Many thanks in advance for the help!
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

What engine? 0.025 over on the case, the crank, or both? Some main bearings are pretty much impossible to find right now.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

^^^^

what he said.

basically you can have std case .025 crank, .025 case and crank or .025 case and std crank.

bearings for these can get confusing for sure

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Trends68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies - I've asked for more details. Really appreciate your help.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

Trends68 wrote:
I have a buddy looking for main bearings that are 0.025 over stock? Anyone out there know where to find such a thing? Many thanks in advance for the help!

Not to further cloud the issue but ......

Your title seems to indicate Imperial measurement. asking for a 20 under bearing (.020") but your posting indicates .025 which has me thinking "first under metric size"?

Cranks mains and rod journals and cases bores are often referred to as first, second or third under (.010", .020", .030") Where as metric is a portion of a millimeter (mm) so .25mm (roughly .0098") .5mm etc etc

As noted by previous postings here, cases can be bored out and the crank stock dia or any combination of both.
Get your mics out and measure the journals but you'll have to assemble the cases halves and torque them to measure with a dial bore gauge.
Check the old bearings, they can be marked with ether a color code or an actual size (if they're not beat too bad).
If you find my AC van build thread I posted a picture of the SKF bearing catalogue that shows the journal sizes.

What are you building?

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trends68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

More info from owner:

1986 Vanagon
Stock motor - lined bored once already (already oversized)
He needs next one up - 2L

and "5isCanadian" you were correct, it's .020, not .025...Smile
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

A quick look says they are not available anywhere.

I'm curious, why did this case need to be bored once, let alone twice.. not common in my experience.

J
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Vanagon main bearings 20/1000's over stock size? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
A quick look says they are not available anywhere.

I'm curious, why did this case need to be bored once, let alone twice.. not common in my experience.

J

Agreed. A once over line bore is reasonable but a twice over?

Regardless, good luck with the parts hunt.

Concept 1 shows std only and no stock

https://store.concept1.ca/store/filtered/c_21/s_Bearings%20Mains/8_69/

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: