Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Hey folks. I’m Mike. Been here on TS for quite a few years and have made my way around the VW line up. I spent most of my time in the Bay forums until 2017 when I sold my 77 Westy (from NY to France) and then bought and restored a 64 Beetle that I’ve known since I was much younger. Recently came across a too-good to pass-up opportunity on an 82 Westy that belonged to some friends. I hoped at the chance because getting back into any camper seemed slim, let alone for what I paid.
Here’s my 77 and my 64…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopefully, a history of doing right by my VWs earns me a little cred here.

So my new 82 will need some love. The engine and mechanicals are the best part here. With the body needing some repairs at the seams - particularly at the rear as well as the front bumper deformation panel meets those nose skin. There is a large dent on the drivers side forward of the rear wheel and some usual blisters here and there. Inside, the wall “paper” laminate is peeling in some places and the front seats were swapped out for later passenger van seats. I have the originals but would like to replace the seat pads and foam - which I had done before on my 77, these seem to be the same seat.

Some interior attention here would really be time well spent as I figure out my plan for the body. Can anyone direct me to where I might find seat covers? GoWesty seems to only sell the plaid. Is there anywhere with the original patterns? What do folks use for the walls? I used to love the Werksberg stuff for my Bay, but am unsure if they make Vanagon panels. Where can I get front door cards?
I had sanded the roof of my bay and painted it with marine topcoat, before replacing the seals and such all around. I will do the same on this canal the roof cleans up.
Looking forward to being a new regular in here. Seems I’ve had to reintroduce myself to TheSamba post-covid as I suddenly pop up with a 64 bug and an 82 Vanagon in forums I’ve never been in before!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
84Cabby82Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Welcome to aircooled Vanagon insanity - slow, hot in summer and cold in winter. At least you know what you're in for! Your bus and bug look amazing.

Those are later model front seats (nice upgrade because the originals don't have armrests.) Sewfine is a great place to get seat covers and they do have fabric that is very close to the originals. They also have replacement foam for them if you need it. They also sell door panels and the side panels for the camper.

There are also ABS panels available (here on The Samba) that are pretty nice (I got one for my slider). You need to cover or paint them unless you want black or gray plastic. I think TMI also sells Vanagon panels. I used them on a Rabbit pickup a long time ago and they are nice quality, but I've never seen the Vanagon panels.

As for the covering for the panels, Sewfine sells a replacement. I painted my rear panels and used brown indoor-outdoor carpet to cover the slider panel and lower side panels because its warmer and more comfortable than the wallpaper.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase. I'll be watching you closely. If you make choices I don't like, you'll hear about. If you make choices which cross clearly marked red lines, there will be consequences. Have fun. Choose wisely.

Carry on.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

pfffft. copy cat

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743839&highlight=saving+the+84

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

It's name is "chachi", do to the color.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

That looks like a much loved family camper.

The rust is minimal, the paint is good and the interior is nice.
This is a great vehicle to begin your journey. Good find!

The Automatic with a trailer hitch is worrisome.

Looking at your Bay Window and Beetle, you have skills. If the skills aren't yours, you know the right people and have the ability to write them BIG checks!

Seek member msinabottle (I think thats the right name) he restored his similar colored Van to an unheard of level of quality!

Unlike your other units, these aren't toys or show cars for us.
We drive them (often daily), we vacation in them and some of us (myself for example) work out of them!

Yours is air cooled, it will be slow, you know that going in, no surprises.

You can "upgrade" and become a "water pumper", many have done so.

I have the 2.1 WBX which many call intolerably slow, dangerous even........ but I'm an old air cooled guy, I understand slow.
I stay off the interstates when I can, it seems the people on them are simply focused on going as fast as they can all but shouting "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!".
I can usually go with traffic flow until that long upgrade looms in front of me.
Then I put on my 4-ways, keep to the right and make it as easy as I can for others to pass me.
Rare is the angry driver as they go by. It is most often friendly toots of their horn, a smile and a wave or thumbs up.

Welcome! Take lots of photos, post often and keep us updated as you take this new journey!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks all! I know the previous owners, who have had it for about the last 32 years. It never towed anything, but they did use the hitch for a rack. As for the previous owners, who knows what they may have pulled but it’s so far in the past I’m not even thinking about it.

This will camp, often. My 77 camped all the time, even just little one or two night trips to campgrounds near my house. Pretty doesn’t mean unused and I actually negotiated this sale while at a VW campo it (West River Westies) in Vermont two weeks ago.

I’ll definitely be looking around here as I make my way through the van.

Glenn wrote:

Here we go, again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Here we go, again!
Love you Mike.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

come on over and drive mine. we can subaru the hell out of it Cool

Glenn when are you getting one? seems like all your friends are doing it Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Sorry but camping for me is carrying in everything you need.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
...I have the originals but would like to replace the seat pads and foam - which I had done before on my 77, these seem to be the same seat.

...Can anyone direct me to where I might find seat covers? GoWesty seems to only sell the plaid. Is there anywhere with the original patterns?

Bus Depot has that pattern in both the green (yours) and blue (mine):

https://www.busdepot.com/333000372

Pretty straight forward to recover:

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Hi mike!
When I had my 81-really the same as yours, I had that white interior flaking as well. I never got to it, but I did find a wall paper that was really close.

I’d drive the van to a wall paper place and see what they say.
You can also check the big box stores, I think Lowe’s or Home Depot had something close.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

back on the vanagon list (and or maybe here) there was a thread on removing the stock failed wall paper and a paint color to paint the brown wall panel.
that the wallpaper glue still resided on the wall panel and in effect looked just like the texture of the wall paper w/o the peeling..

strip it, paint it. and for heavens sake resist the ABS tonka toy panels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Who are you kidding? You haven’t camped in 10 years, your car hasn’t been seen in as long! Do you even known a VW anymore?! Wink

Kidding folks, he does - I’ve seen it.
Love you Glenn Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Who are you kidding? You haven’t camped in 10 years, your car hasn’t been seen in as long! Do you even known a VW anymore?! Wink

Kidding folks, he does - I’ve seen it.
Love you Glenn Laughing

One day it could be sitting in your garage and the 64 will be out in the snow.

Who's that kid between me and Jimbo?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Who's that kid between me and Jimbo?

Mike, if you own a Vanagon can you still have "Bay Pride"?

Look how skinny I was! And you, you still had some dark hair!

Bay Pride died when people realized it was never about the buses! Haha
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

I suggest you learn as much about the weak points of the engine and drivetrain and do as much PM as you can to get it to last.

I'm sure the members here can clue you in on what to look for.

Last thing you need is a failure, we all know how expensive repairs can be.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

So far, so good!
Looking to get back to one key to operate everything. As of now, the key in the slider is different from the rest. How do I access the lock on this and which lock/cylinder is the easiest to pull to get the key code?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

it's like a bay window.

1 central screw holds the door handle on. there should be a spacer washer in there so be careful not to lose it

i 100% suggest and recommend getting the delrin bushing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-DELRIN-Vanagon-sliding...1319325029

it makes a BIG difference in the way the handle is supported. i bought the replacement rubber bushing and it was a joke. this is a way better deal.

anyway, once you have the handle out there you should see the code, or pull the crumb sized set screw and remove the tumblers and re-key it to fit what you have

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Good stuff.
The inner door handle on these things is a pitfa. The hinged handle seems like a terrible implementation here, especially given my toolbar friends who would break it by not thinking about how to use it. The bays has an available aluminum handle, is there something similar for a vanagon?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: