Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

you mean the spring loaded deal?

yea, kinda lame. the rear assist handle is super close to the rail cover as i recall, so it makes sense there.

i have not seen any options (doesn't mean they don't exist) but i'd be willing to bet a bay handle may fit ok (haven't tried it yet)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

The key code is on the driver's door lock cylinder. One screw after the door is open. As I remember it is stamped into the tailpiece on the end of the cylinder.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Ok. Coming back around here and finally making some time for the new van.
What are some good things to touch on while taking it around on my usual runs to get in some confidence miles?
As a routine, I like to start with points, plugs, wires, timing, oil, and greasing. Will check the bulbs and regular switches. What else might be good housekeeping in an aircooled Vanagon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Always a good idea to clean the grounds under the dash.

Might want to consider an electronic points replacement.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Noticed the idle sounds sad the last few days, but most notably the EGR and Battery light come on - sometimes dim sometimes brighter. They go away as soon as I get in the gas a bit. Seems to suggest idle speed, especially in this heat. Anything specific I should check to rule out or address?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

is your fridge on 12v?

the egr/bat light are tied to the blue wire on the ALternator.

how is the charge/voltage/condition of your battery?

do clean and tighten the grounds up under the dash behind the fusebox.. DS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Not all Air Cooled have points, depends what market it was built for.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
is your fridge on 12v?

the egr/bat light are tied to the blue wire on the ALternator.

how is the charge/voltage/condition of your battery?

do clean and tighten the grounds up under the dash behind the fusebox.. DS.

Just checked the fridge today and it isn’t set to 12V.

Would I check the blue wire on the alternator or on the backside of the cluster? Sorry if this is obvious - I know you said alternator, but it seems peculiar in my simple mind that the EGR goes to the alternator lol
Batteries are older for sure. Maybe it’s time for a replacement. I just don’t wanna burn a new battery out of something else needs to be addressed too.
I’ll pop the cluster off and will absolutely check and clean grounds. Always good advice.
Interestingly, the car has a voltage gauge in the dash. At idle it’s at 10.9-11.1 which seems to point to a charging issue. Even with the idle raised a bit (by pedal) it doesn’t climb much above 11.1. Maybe I need to check the alternator itself.
Any guidance on the blue wire would be gratefully accepted!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

I liked it, until I saw this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An Automatic, Mikey, how could you !! Twisted Evil
Seriously, good luck w/ the new rig, probably see you at Transporterfest.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

He's getting "soft" in his old age.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Seriously, good luck w/ the new rig, probably see you at Transporterfest.

For the right price, I'd drive a pink Yugo!
It's actually kinda lavish, maybe even luxurious with the auto, and the late Vanagon seats. I just push down my armrests and keep my foot on the gas. It floats along like a fat lady on a cloud of marshmallows, wet, soggy, sticky, 1980's marshmallows.

The plan is to have it at Transporterfest! Having what seems to be a bit of a charging issue for now, it always starts but voltage reads low on the in-dash gauge and the idle is a little low. Trying to ascertain if they are correlated or independent issues.

Glenn wrote:

He's getting "soft" in his old age.

I remember when you were younger-ish.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
So far, so good!
Looking to get back to one key to operate everything. As of now, the key in the slider is different from the rest. How do I access the lock on this and which lock/cylinder is the easiest to pull to get the key code?

This may be in your rear view by now...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553954

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxiousblue’s 1982 Westy Reply with quote

Transport fest is happening 😀cool. I will have to show up. John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: