Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

I mocked this up and while I was assembling I noticed that there is no IN or OUT on the Thermostat adapter.

The IN and OUT on the filter adapter are clearly marked.

The unit is Mishimoto. https://www.mishimoto.com/rear-mount-thermostatic-sandwich-plate.html#features

I've watched their video and they simply say cooler lines attach at ports. Are they reversable? Doesn't matter? I'm confused.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

dgsaz
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

Dump the Fram filter, they have cardboard internals

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Nice answer to a question not asked.

OP, the cooler is non directional therefore no need to have a direction arrow

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

it appears the oil goes throgh the cooler first.
"in" is the passage that connects to the oil filter side.
"out" is the passage that connects to the engine(or adapter) side.

If you don't like people telling you fram is crap, paint the oil filter a different color.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Nice answer to a question not asked.

OP, the cooler is non directional therefore no need to have a direction arrow

It's not the cooler I'm trying to figure out. It's the sandwich thermostat that the filter attaches too. The gold fitting the filter screw onto.

As I understand the operation, the oil enters the filter adapter (IN), the oil goes down into the filter and back out through the filter adapter (OUT).

About 10% of the oil passes through the oil cooler.

When the oil temp reaches 185 degrees the thermostat adapter opens and all oil passes through the cooler.

My sincere apologies for the Fram filter, it was the only thing in the shop, the parts store was closed, i couldn't get an Uber,I was broke, they said it would be fun, all the cool kids are........I digress.

dgsaz

BTW my GGF was C.M.Scott
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

modok wrote:
it appears the oil goes throgh the cooler first.
"in" is the passage that connects to the oil filter side.
"out" is the passage that connects to the engine(or adapter) side.

If you don't like people telling you fram is crap, paint the oil filter a different color.

It's not mine, I was holding it for a friend.

Here's another approach I looked at but the Filter hung too low so I went horizontal. What I'm trying to figure out is the IN/OUT on the thermostat adapter. The fitting in the middle.

dgsaz
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

In order to see what passage connects to where, take the oil filter off and look.

you could also blow in it and see where the air comes out.
Some people are averse to that, but I would.

Well.....I'd wipe it off first, but that's all you really need to do.
A little won't hurt.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

The sandwich plate is connected to the inlet side of the filter, with the oil flow being down from the filter head, through the plate, out the hose connected to the top side of the plate and back in the hose connected to the bottom side of the plate.

Between the two hose connections is a bypass gallery with a wax thermostat controlled plunger that closes off the bypass at the set temperature.

It really does not matter that much which way the oil flows through the cooler if there is airflow cooling it.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

For a shorter filter you can use a WIX 51085.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

make a map and be sure what go's where. the oil needs to be filtered first. then to the cooler. so...in the outer portion of the fram filter( all the little holes or slots are the in.the outlet in the big ceter threaded hole in the filter. the cooler flows both ways it dont mater.unlkess it has a anti drain back valve witch I doubt. the fram filters are fine.people that have issues like to blame their dirt floor build failures on the fram filter and other things due to being tottaly clueless. I prefur the motorcraft filters.1 there pretty and 2, they usualy have bigger inlet slots.
Ive cut appart fram filters.none were "defective"broken,waded up or anything else. I have seen other filters that were. we did split 1 fram hp filter at the track. for regular cars they are fine.and most performance & race cars too.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

Should be like this, if my memory is correct-

(expertly prepared in Lingwendil-CAD, apologies for the quality Very Happy )

Blowing through the fittings will also give you a quick answer. It's easy to wrap your head around once you remember that the oil feed to the filter comes IN to the outside, and OUT through the center feed. The nipple in the center is the return to the engine.

For most purposes it doesn't matter the direction you plumb unless the cooler itself requires you to do it a particular way, or if you have a thermo-switch in the output of the cooler, for instance as a trigger for a fan or something like that. Which is actually a good idea, in my opinion.

Link

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

I would have to see the entire setup in my hands to be able to determan if thats correct.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

The outlet of the filter goes up the centre threaded tube through the sandwich plate and into the engine.

So the sandwich plate hoses are on the inlet side of the filter.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

Correct. Lots of people erroneously believe that they bypass the filter when the cooler is active, but it's all on the inlet side.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Filter with Thermostatic sandwich Adapter Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Correct. Lots of people erroneously believe that they bypass the filter when the cooler is active, but it's all on the inlet side.

Thanks for the picture Lingwendil, well worth a 1000 words.

dgsaz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: