Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

I thought I'd seen this discussed before but I searched and could not find it. I'm seeing ATF come from both the upper and lower bolts which mate the AT to the diff on the passenger side. I'd say it was weeping, but it's a little more than that I'd say. Torque converter appears dry, I think it's only coming from these bolts.

video:
https://youtu.be/_zNaxFDmlqY

picture:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at AT - Diff botls Reply with quote

there is an o- ring and a couple of paper gaskets around the intermediate plate.

basically, you have to split the whole deal

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

The huge o-ring prevents ATF from escaping between the... "flanges" I guess you'd call them, where the diff fits inside the transmission. But yeah it's starting to really look like that paper gasket is all that's there to prevent ATF from coming out of those holes. I pulled them apart once and really hated it.

I was considering trying to tighten down the bolts but the spec is only 22 ft*lbs. Seems really low, I don't know why it'd be so low.

I am now wondering if anyone else has successfully used RTV, rubber washers, or anything else to seal this thing without splitting the AT/diff. I know parts of the AT run at very high pressure, but not sure about this particular area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:

I was considering trying to tighten down the bolts but the spec is only 22 ft*lbs. Seems really low, I don't know why it'd be so low.

because they are only M8 studs. can't really go much higher than that.

there is a bit of an art to installing O-Rings without damage and making sure they aren't rolled over while setting them in the groove. it's also very important to make sure all surfaces are clean, smooth and corrosion free.

you can try and snug them but don't go crazy. really can't speak to pooping any RTV in there (i wouldn't personally)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

While you're playing with the transaxle, make sure the vents on top, and the weep hole underneath that joint, are open and breathing. They're probably fine, but clogged vents might exacerbate this weeping problem.

My first Vanagon auto transaxle had silicone all over this joint, applied by the previous owner. It seemed to help keep leaks down. Of course I cleaned it up and sealed it properly when I rebuilt it.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

Thanks kourt, I did already check that the vent hole covers are wobbly and the bottom one appears clear. Actually, what are these 2 bolts?
Hm, per Bentley 37.17, the one facing up is a pressure test port. What is the one facing the rear of the van? More importantly, is it something I'll ever care about?

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
Thanks kourt, I did already check that the vent hole covers are wobbly and the bottom one appears clear. Actually, what are these 2 bolts?
Hm, per Bentley 37.17, the one facing up is a pressure test port. What is the one facing the rear of the van? More importantly, is it something I'll ever care about?

Don't worry about those bolts, instead, go forward of your picture and look at the sealing plate that's about 1 inch or so in diameter on the casting at the front. It's a plate that seals up a passage or hole in the trans, and since the plate sits below the surface of the case in that hole, you guessed it, water likes to collect there if it can. It's pretty much at the corner, front, drivers side, of the Trans. Use a mirror and flashlight to inspect yours, as that plate sits down a bit and is hard to see with the trans installed in the vehicle.
Mine developed a pin hole leak due to rust and I had to JB Weld it.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Interesting, will clean it out and smear some CV grease or something like that on there.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

how low is your ATF from the leak?
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
how low is your ATF from the leak?

That's not a big problem, I just really hate leaking, messing up driveways as well as the environment

Last edited by jwallis on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ATF leak at A/T - Diff bolts Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

Interesting, will clean it out and smear some CV grease or something like that on there.

I have two transmissions, for that same spot on my 2nd unit,I added a heavy spray of body cavity wax. Grease would probably work pretty well too though…. Think
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: