Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jack Height
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HibsMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Jack Height Reply with quote

I tried to RTFM and did not find an answer to this question. I want to replace my stock jack with "something else" but I don't know what height it needs to be. I found a lot of discussion on this, and a lot of the comments are "what's wrong with the stock jack". That's not an option for me as I have a side step fitted and that uses two of the jacking points. I could still use those points, but that means removing the side step first (I guess that's not a big deal given the frequency that I should be doing this). However, I still like the idea of getting either a scissor jack or a hydraulic bottle jack to take on the road with me, but I don't know how high they must be able to lift. I have a floor jack, but I won't be taking that around with me for all the reasons you expect (safety, weight, space) so I am looking for something small and functional.

I can't jack my bus up right now otherwise I would do that and just measure the height. Smile
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Height Reply with quote

The height you need depends on where you're jacking. What the
stock jack does at the stock jacking points, which you'll not be using, is pretty much irrelevant.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
HibsMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Height Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
The height you need depends on where you're jacking. What the
stock jack does at the stock jacking points, which you'll not be using, is pretty much irrelevant.

The plan is to use the jack on the frame close to where the stock jack is used. I have read many threads about jacking points, just not what height the jack needs to lift. I appreciate the stock jack numbers are not useful, but I don't want them. I really just want examples of what other people are using instead of the stock jacks. In all the other threads I read, the people responding seemed more interested in WHY not use the stock jack. I have the stock jack in the bus and I can use that on the driver's side, just not the passenger side (without removing the step). I did also read a bunch of threads from people saying they use "this", "that", and "the next thing", but they are so old that the links don't work any longer.
HibsMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Height Reply with quote

I'm going with one of these:
Alltrade 640912 Black 3 Ton, All-In-One Bottle Jack

Has a good high lift and I am sure I can find a spot for it in the bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Height Reply with quote

don't jack on the frame or rails. You'll bend them. Read this for suggestions: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682503
HibsMax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Height Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
don't jack on the frame or rails. You'll bend them. Read this for suggestions: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682503

Thanks! That's one of the threads I read earlier. Smile
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Height Reply with quote

HibsMax wrote:
I'm going with one of these:
Alltrade 640912 Black 3 Ton, All-In-One Bottle Jack

Has a good high lift and I am sure I can find a spot for it in the bus.

I had one of those, worked well. The locking feature makes it double as a jack stand (remember to remove the handle from the pump lever before you climb under it, ask me how I know...). It worked on a Gen2 RAM 2500 with 285\85-16 tires when placed under the axle, should work on a Bus, especially one with stock diameter tires.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: