Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it possible to fix sump cover?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

Recently changed oil in my 1966 beetle, and the plug of the sump cover was not sealing correctly. I went to see the replacement but it's too ugly and I like all my car to be as original as possible so buying 4 thick washers was my solution. With them, the plug seems to tighten real good, but yesterday I found it is leaking.

Is there a way to fix this cover?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

jlinares wrote:
Recently changed oil in my 1966 beetle, and the plug of the sump cover was not sealing correctly. I went to see the replacement but it's too ugly and I like all my car to be as original as possible so buying 4 thick washers was my solution. With them, the plug seems to tighten real good, but yesterday I found it is leaking.

Wait your really joking right about a sump cover ???? If a replacement would help solve your leak then why not just use it ..its not like everybody is gonna be under your car just to bash you about a repop cover 🙄 come on man some folks really are taking this to another level...
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
jlinares wrote:

Wait your really joking right about a sump cover ???? If a replacement would help solve your leak then why not just use it ..its not like everybody is gonna be under your car just to bash you about a repop cover 🙄 come on man some folks really are taking this to another level...

You're* And I'm not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

source an original cover and bolt
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

jlinares wrote:
... the plug of the sump cover was not sealing correctly. I went to see the replacement but it's too ugly and I like all my car to be as original as possible so buying 4 thick washers was my solution. With them, the plug seems to tighten real good, but yesterday I found it is leaking.

We are talking about the round cover plate that sandwiches the oil strainer to the case opening, right?

I'm taking it that your leak is around the drain plug which screws into the center of the plate? And to stop the leak you are running 4 metal washers? Running 4 metal washers will leak. Metal does not seal well against metal of the same type (steel washers).
Your problem suggests the threads on the drain plug may be stripped. By using more washers you are pushing the drain plug further out threading only to the tip of the plug threads. Take a look at the threads of your drain plug. Are the threads buggered up near the head? If so, all you need is a new drain plug.

Another option is to just use a thick neoprene washer like in the below pic.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This looks like a black rubber washer/gasket, but neoprene is better where oil is used as it doesn't break down. The thicker seal holds the plug out further and makes for a better seal than stock metal crush washers.
Clean off the surface of the plate and the flat on the head of the drain plug so the square washer has a good sealing surface.

If you need to buy a new drain plug, I recommend one with a magnet to trap metal particles in the oil strainer.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

You could also try using a HOLLOW style (not flat!) copper or aluminum CRUSH washer under the drain bolt head - specifically designed for preventing this type of leaking issue. Worked like a charm for me!

Belmetric likely has what you need...
https://www.belmetric.com/hollow-crush-washers-c-4_2121_2124/

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

I read this as he's talking about the center drain plug too.

Use an original copper crush washer like 67conv stated and you should be good to go.

More:
I've never seen that drain plug leak because of the bolt but I guess the threads could be damaged or wallowed out on the plate?
Buy another original plate and/or bolt, they are super common.
You can even buy a brand new VW of Mexico plate if you want, I think they even have them at your local VW dealer.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
You could also try using a HOLLOW style (not flat!) copper or aluminum CRUSH washer under the drain bolt head - specifically designed for preventing this type of leaking issue. Worked like a charm for me!

this
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

To save me from having to drain my oil just to measure the washer, can you tell me what size to look for?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to fix sump cover? Reply with quote

14 mm inside diameter x 20 mm outside.

https://www.belmetric.com/hollow-crush-washers-c-4...t0epgci1k4

order a handful.. Very Happy

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: