Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a type 4 oil breather as shown below on my typ 4 2.0 FI engine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From past conversations, I understand that this oil breather correct for my engine. So thats good.

And I understand that it functioning properly is important for my engines health.

So my question is;
How do I test that it is working correctly?

I read somewhere on this forum about blowing air through the small pinhole on top of the upper part plastic part (PVC valve?). But don't remember exactly how to perform this test. I'd like to perform this test again if anyone knows how to go about it.

Also I remember reading something about the valve being very fragile and that you could modify this valve so it was more reliable. I'm not sure where on the forum I read this, but I think it was in a post by wildthings on the vanagon forum. So I'm not sure that this trick could be applied to my oil breather.

Any insight appreciated!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

small hole on top. suck on it. If you get a vacuum that holds it is good. If you don't get a vacuum the diaphragm is bad. DO NOT clean the inside or solvents will dissolve the diaphragm
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Thanks for answering me SGKent!

Ok, at first i get a small amount of air in my mouth tasting oil, then i cant suck anymore, seems like there is a vacuum. From there i can blow into the hole and feel and hear the diaphragm going the other way, and then the air flow stops at the other extreme.

Did this a couple of times, it feels like it is intact.
Sorry for being stupid, just want to be 100% sure...

Arrow Does this mean its working?

Arrow If it is working, should I trust that this valve will hold up in the long run? How long before it will disintegrate?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

It’s good!
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Great! Thanks guys
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

As Gary said - it is good. the top side with the small hole is exposed to ambient air pressure thru that small hole. When the vacuum inside the engine is slightly more than outside air pressure, the valve closes and stops anymore fumes from being pulled from the crankcase. As soon as pressure in the crankcase is greater than outside air, the valve opens and lets it be drawn into the plenum thru the S-boot. You need to be sure the oil cap seals properly or air can get drawn into the engine, thru the crankcase, out thru the breather and into the S-boot, messing with the correct air-to-fuel ratio.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Two more things. Under the plastic elbow lives a rubber o-ring and under the metal box lives a cork gasket. These both need to be in place and in good condition
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

O-ring seems to be in good condition, no cracks or anything.

Cork gasket has no cracks but is dirty (se pic)

My buddy is coming this weekend and helping me put the motor in, so I need to have a gasket ready for tuning and break in. The proper replacement gasket is not available to me until the end of next week so my alternatives are;

Arrow Keeping the old cork gasket for tuning and break in and replacing it when the new one arrives

Arrow DIY cork gasket 1mm thickness (is this too thin?)

Arrow Black rubber gasket 2 mm thickness (can I replace rubber with cork?)

Arrow Adding Hylomar Blue to 1mm DIY cork gasket

Arrow Loctite 518 instead of gasket (ordered and arrives thursday)

Quote:
You need to be sure the oil cap seals properly or air can get drawn into the engine, thru the crankcase, out thru the breather and into the S-boot, messing with the correct air-to-fuel ratio.

Where can I find this oil cap you speak of?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Just use the old cork gasket after coating both sides with sealant
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

But will the Hylomar Blue stick to the cork gasket when it is dirty as seen in picture?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Clean it first
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Haha, thats a good idea. I used carb cleaner and wiped with paper, it went fine, I was afraid the cork was going to dissolve or something.

How do I clean the breather canister? Do i have to bend it open or can I just lay it in some cleaning liquid overnight?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

If it was me I’d use my heated ultrasonic cleaner with water and simple green. In your case I’d use a soup pot on the stove with water and simple green. Get it hot, like 180 and drop that sucker in. Let it cook for 15 minutes then rinse and repeat

It may take off the paint so be prepared to paint it
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

those VR gaskets are so easy to come by. The are like $1.99 at some places, and less than $5 shipped on fleabay. You would already have one if you had ordered it when the question was posed could it be reused.
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

Delivery to Sweden from ebay uk takes between 1-4 weeks

But if I was in the US or UK you would be right Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

did you check to see if any local sources have part 021 115 487
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

I don’t see the need to jump through hoops to replace that gasket. It doesn’t look bad and after a light coat of hylomar it should work just fine
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 FI Oil breather, how do I know it is working? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I don’t see the need to jump through hoops to replace that gasket. It doesn’t look bad and after a light coat of hylomar it should work just fine
it gets really brittle with age.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: