Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rehabbing Middle Seat
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Rehabbing Middle Seat Reply with quote

Several questions which I've tried to research here. Please note that my deluxe is "nice", but never gonna be show quality. I purchased the hair seat pads and covers from WW. I'm covering a large middle with drop seat for a '66 non-walk-through.
I'll buy a roll of burlap and install prior to taking seat to installer.
1. Would there typically be any other materials below or above the hair seat pads (with the obvious exception of the seat covers)? I've seen mention of felt; if needed, what thickness does one use?
2. How does one install the ashtray on the back of the seat? Surely it doesn't just rivet onto the seat fabric. Unfortunately, I have a bare frame, thus nothing to reference. It would seem that some sort of backer board would be appropriate, but I'll let the experts here weigh in.

Thanks in advance for any help. I do appreciate it!
2wheelsport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rehabbing Middle Seat Reply with quote

I'm sure Clara and the other experts will chime in to help you, just a couple of things from my experience.
1. Burlap over the springs and the horse hair pads is all I did with the exception of the driver's seat. I added some thin foam from an upholstery shop. Added a little extra cushion. Be careful going too hog wild, you'll end up with a puffy overstuffed seat.
2. Understand you might have obligations that prevent you but why not take a crack at it yourself? Samba has a ton of great build threads and a wealth of knowledge. You can do it.

I never touched upholstery in my life but with this site I did them all myself.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rehabbing Middle Seat Reply with quote

Nice work. I did do my rear and front seats and they came out reasonably well, though far from as nice as yours. I'll just go burlap, then, since the middle is really just for show and I don't imagine it ever being used for more than a quick trip here or there with friends. I'll use some 1/4" firm cardboard from a local crafts store for the ashtray backing and backing behind the entire seat. Guess I'll have to have someone fabricate the metal stock with threaded holes that the ashtray screws into and then glue that piece of stock to the cardboard.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rehabbing Middle Seat Reply with quote

Yes there is a backer board for the middle seat, that the ash tray bracket rivets to. I do have the pattern for at least one of them.

Some variation depending on year and which seat, sometimes they have a thin layer of felt aka 'jute' om top of the hair pad.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rehabbing Middle Seat Reply with quote

Thanks, Clara. I was able to use some of the backer board I had laying around and since it tucks into a slot behind the center beam on the 2/3 seat, it actually fits quite well. For the flip seat I cut it slightly oversize and then wedged it in.
Also found some stock with small holes in it. I'll rivet it to the backer board and use self-tapping screws to fasten the ashtray mount. I spent the better part of the day looking at photos on the site. 1,000,000 photos later and I had it!
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rehabbing Middle Seat Reply with quote

Nice work, looks fantastic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: