Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 fuel injection options?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Cornwallav8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

I have an aftermarket universal ECU package from an aircraft build that wasn't used, so I'm most of the way there with parts to reinstall FI and high performance ignition control into my currently carb'd 1600 DP engine. I'm torn whether to install a custom set of injector bosses in my current intake manifold, or buy an old used OEM FI manifold that accepts the original type injectors. I know those old injectors are much more pricey, however it would greatly simplify the injector install. Thought I'd badge a universal Audi cable controlled throttle body to the stock upper manifold, it's got a TPS and possibly an air intake temp sensor already. Any thoughts on which way to go with this injector install?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

Not sure if you've already looked at the CB Performance website. They have many FI parts that work with the stock Solex carb center section. You could just buy their FI end castings and related injector parts. Not sure whether that would be less expensive than sourcing a stock FI set up.
https://www.cbperformance.com/Fuel-Injection-and-Turbos-s/42.htm

You could also turn to Antonio Trejo in Mexico and source VW of Mexico FI parts.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841

If it is OE German FI parts you desire, search the Classified section. Lots of used parts there.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cornwallav8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I shall look at these options.

ashman40 wrote:
Not sure if you've already looked at the CB Performance website. They have many FI parts that work with the stock Solex carb center section. You could just buy their FI end castings and related injector parts. Not sure whether that would be less expensive than sourcing a stock FI set up.
https://www.cbperformance.com/Fuel-Injection-and-Turbos-s/42.htm

You could also turn to Antonio Trejo in Mexico and source VW of Mexico FI parts.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841

If it is OE German FI parts you desire, search the Classified section. Lots of used parts there.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

When I was researching going FI with a Megasquirt system I think I remember looking into using a throttle body off a Harley bike. I did not keep any of my notes, decided to just keep the original carb setup. I can't remember if that was throttle body injection, or whether I was going to run a VW end casting and injector setup. What engine management system are you going to use?
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cornwallav8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

Others' situations will be different, but for reference, I happen to have a complete, used, SDS (Simple Digitial Systems) EM-4 ECU setup lying around complete with sets of 6-cyl and 4-cyl coil packs, picked it up on Ebay for $300 or so, to use as a redundant ECU for my Titan T51 build (which is taking forever to complete, keep getting sidetracked). But then I bought a Titan powerplant upgrade for the plane, incorporating a brand new Corvette type LS3 crate motor with gearbox, it came with a more modern ECU. The plane will be an absolute scream to fly, if I ever get it done. 400HP or more, in a plane first designed to use a 100hp Rotax. But I digress.

Looked at yesterday, and almost bought Wally's complete stock old FI setup off a 79 Beetle here in classifieds, but it's sold already, thankfully. 70% of that cumbersome setup is unnecessary, especially those cavernous air boxes and tubes. Instead, bought this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353513268250

Very clean setup, with dual fuel rails housing modern injectors, which can be picked up super cheap.

All that's left in my case, is odds and ends, like fuel pump, pressure regulator, some hoses and an interconnect throttle cable (little room for a rod due to AC compressor in the way). Oh, and injectors, found a new fuel rail complete with 4 injectors and wire harness for like $20 on Ebay, the parts will be perfect as far as I can tell. They were for a Kia or similar, 1.6L OEM setup. Added a couple foam air filters, and will make up an interconnect cable from all that old aircraft stuff laying around here in the shop.

I know it's overkill, but will hopefully be a good path for future hp upgrades if sought, will be combining with a set of 1.4 ratio rockers in my otherwise stock 1600 dp.

I guess being technically oriented, it makes a whole lot more sense to go the digital route, allowing infinitely adjustable tunings, rather than a couple persnickety 100 year old technology Webers, chasing jetting all over the dang place, with a body and clothing smelling of dirty exhaust. The ECU system has a remote potentiometer in a little box one can adjust the mixture plus or minus on the fly (probably only applicable to aviation) and a remote display/control/keypad to allow revising the tuning map while in operation. Will add an O2 sensor for closed loop control.

I have some questions about exhaust options and other things, I'll leave that to another thread.

Anyhow, enough of my rantings. I've some sandblasting to do on the Beetle body.

bomberbob wrote:
When I was researching going FI with a Megasquirt system I think I remember looking into using a throttle body off a Harley bike. I did not keep any of my notes, decided to just keep the original carb setup. I can't remember if that was throttle body injection, or whether I was going to run a VW end casting and injector setup. What engine management system are you going to use?
Cornwallav8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

A brief update, I just learned that my SDS ECU here is firmware held to 6-cylinder application. Ross the manufacturer says it'll require "rechipping" to change it to 4-cylinder use- $145 plus shipping. 80s-90s technology or not, this is ridiculous, it should be a dip switch or other selection in the product. Might need to change to something else.

You mentioned Megasquirt, I do see there are inexpensive open source options out there. I'll need to investigate, thanks for the note.

bomberbob wrote:
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

I have been running a megasquirt on water pumper VWs (16 valve) for over a decade. I was going to squirt my 68 bug but my wife objected, said it would ruin the resale value. It is nice being able to set up your own fuel load, advance curve, warm-up enrichment, and everything else. Oh well.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

Cornwallav8r wrote:
Others' situations will be different, but for reference, I happen to have a complete, used, SDS (Simple Digitial Systems) EM-4 ECU setup lying around complete with sets of 6-cyl and 4-cyl coil packs, picked it up on Ebay for $300 or so, to use as a redundant ECU for my Titan T51 build (which is taking forever to complete, keep getting sidetracked). But then I bought a Titan powerplant upgrade for the plane, incorporating a brand new Corvette type LS3 crate motor with gearbox, it came with a more modern ECU. The plane will be an absolute scream to fly, if I ever get it done. 400HP or more, in a plane first designed to use a 100hp Rotax. But I digress.

Looked at yesterday, and almost bought Wally's complete stock old FI setup off a 79 Beetle here in classifieds, but it's sold already, thankfully. 70% of that cumbersome setup is unnecessary, especially those cavernous air boxes and tubes. Instead, bought this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353513268250

Very clean setup, with dual fuel rails housing modern injectors, which can be picked up super cheap.

All that's left in my case, is odds and ends, like fuel pump, pressure regulator, some hoses and an interconnect throttle cable (little room for a rod due to AC compressor in the way). Oh, and injectors, found a new fuel rail complete with 4 injectors and wire harness for like $20 on Ebay, the parts will be perfect as far as I can tell. They were for a Kia or similar, 1.6L OEM setup. Added a couple foam air filters, and will make up an interconnect cable from all that old aircraft stuff laying around here in the shop.

I know it's overkill, but will hopefully be a good path for future hp upgrades if sought, will be combining with a set of 1.4 ratio rockers in my otherwise stock 1600 dp.

I guess being technically oriented, it makes a whole lot more sense to go the digital route, allowing infinitely adjustable tunings, rather than a couple persnickety 100 year old technology Webers, chasing jetting all over the dang place, with a body and clothing smelling of dirty exhaust. The ECU system has a remote potentiometer in a little box one can adjust the mixture plus or minus on the fly (probably only applicable to aviation) and a remote display/control/keypad to allow revising the tuning map while in operation. Will add an O2 sensor for closed loop control.

I have some questions about exhaust options and other things, I'll leave that to another thread.

Anyhow, enough of my rantings. I've some sandblasting to do on the Beetle body.

bomberbob wrote:

But then I bought a Titan powerplant upgrade for the plane, incorporating a brand new Corvette type LS3 crate motor with gearbox, it came with a more modern ECU. The plane will be an absolute scream to fly, if I ever get it done. 400HP or more, in a plane first designed to use a 100hp Rotax. But I digress.

What's that going to do to the planes CG?
Cornwallav8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

[/quote]But then I bought a Titan powerplant upgrade for the plane, incorporating a brand new Corvette type LS3 crate motor with gearbox, it came with a more modern ECU. The plane will be an absolute scream to fly, if I ever get it done. 400HP or more, in a plane first designed to use a 100hp Rotax. But I digress.

What's that going to do to the planes CG?[/quote]

It's a Titan factory upgrade, we moved everything possible to the rear including battery. Some weight may be needed yet in the tail. It'll be right.
Cornwallav8r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
I have been running a megasquirt on water pumper VWs (16 valve) for over a decade. I was going to squirt my 68 bug but my wife objected, said it would ruin the resale value. It is nice being able to set up your own fuel load, advance curve, warm-up enrichment, and everything else. Oh well.

Your wife may be right, but I figure anything added that can be easily removed doesn't hurt the resale value. My VW should be about as stock as original as I can make it, save for some conveniences like A/C. Both A/C and fuel injection were available new for this 75 model anyway. Everyone thinks differently I guess.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 fuel injection options? Reply with quote

I transplanted 1990 VW Cabriolet front seats in this thing, along with moving the radio antenna up into the roof like a new bug. Previous owner had done one piece windows, so I have that going for me. I figured how is a stand alone engine management system going to impact resale value any more than whats already been done? I don't plan on selling it anyway, I don't have a lot of money invested, its mostly sweat equity. I plan on giving it to one of my sons. When you get a car for free, who cares about resale value.
Marion, Iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: