Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Norcold generating a lot of heat
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

Quick question:

Currently camping in eastern Oklahoma. High today was 100F. When plugged in, the Norcold struggled to maintain 50F. Not unusual considering.

But I noticed the Norcold was throwing off a lot of heat. Like the adjacent stainless surrounding the sink on the side of the Norcold was almost too hot to touch!

Is the Norcold just throwing off this amount of heat because it’s working so hard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
Quick question:

Currently camping in eastern Oklahoma. High today was 100F. When plugged in, the Norcold struggled to maintain 50F. Not unusual considering.

But I noticed the Norcold was throwing off a lot of heat. Like the adjacent stainless surrounding the sink on the side of the Norcold was almost too hot to touch!

Is the Norcold just throwing off this amount of heat because it’s working so hard?

Yeah, unfortunately. The Norcold isn't very efficient. If you have the option, you may find that it cools better on Propane.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

Even in propane mode the metal around the sink gets pretty warm. Nature of the beast. 50 degrees is probably best what you can hope for if ambient is 100.
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

I actually hadn't noticed the metal around the sink getting that hot before and thought "surely there must be something wrong here; that doesn't sound right".

But I have my fridge running and sure enough it does get pretty hot to to touch on the fridge/stove side of the sink.

With the heatwaves here (eastern WA) this year, I have also observed that 50 on a 100 degree day is probably about as good as you're going to get if the van is in full sun.

I'm running a couple of little experiments with shading the fridge side to see if it makes much of a difference.
64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

Just entered New Mexico. Currently 95.

Now, I am much more carefully when parking the van to take advantage of shade trees, noting the path of the setting sun, etc.

I am in the shade now. I'll see how it goes and maybe report back.

And I too was quite surprised by the heat generated but I have never camped in the desert before (so I'm not surprised). But glad to hear nothing seriously wrong. Other than that, the Norcold is performing flawlessly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

Little or no shade tress in New Mexico but by parking the van with the refrigerator on the north side out of direct sunlight, in 95F weather the refrigerator while plugged in maintained at 48F and the heat generated around the sink was less. So it seems the Norcold was working less

Overnight the outside temperature dropped to 70F. The Norcold reached only 39F. And hardly any heat generated around the kitchen sink
scottnolte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

Hi All, First reply to the group. I replaced the Norcold in our 97 EVC before learning very much about, but I've heard from others that the vent to to outside can get blacked from different causes. Is the air coming out of the vent also hot?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Norcold generating a lot of heat Reply with quote

Yes when running on propane
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: