Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Better security for bench seat
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Better security for bench seat Reply with quote

I was thinking I'd like to slow down bad guys from getting into the bench seat.

If I just put some kind of traditional lock mechanism on the latch, the presence of a keyhole would likely look interesting to a thief and they might try to break in. This would be easy - let's face it. However, if the opening mechanism is not obvious, it might slow down and frustrate the casual thief long enough that they give up and move on to easier targets.

Does anyone have a bright idea how to modify the bench seat latch so it's a bit complicated to open, but the mechanism is still reliable?

I was imagining something like those magnets for child proof cupboard locks - the magnet would be stored elsewhere in the van, even within arm's reach, and used to activate the mechanism which allows you to open the bench seat. Or, there could be a spring loaded arm that extends inside the bench seat from the existing latch to the side of the seat and you have to pull on the arm while pulling the existing latch for it to open. Or or, you have to slide the knob up or turn it before pulling or nothing happens.

I'm interested in your ideas!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Better security for bench seat Reply with quote

They already have a built in "keep out the owner" system.

Pack too much crap in there and the upward force of the compressed crap makes it near impossible to pull the knob!
Savvy owners know to sit on the seat as you pull the knob.

Work with this, a strong spring pushing up.
File an exaggerated notch in the hook that will always get stuck without the seat being sat upon.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Better security for bench seat Reply with quote

Bench seat latch? Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. The slider door opener latch?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Better security for bench seat Reply with quote

The Westy rear seat has a lift up seat to gain Access for storage.
You pull on a knob to release the catch.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Better security for bench seat Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Bench seat latch? Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. The slider door opener latch?

Could be your van's latch was deleted by a P.O.
If you get stuff in/out of the underseat storage often the latch is a hassle 'cuz you have to put down whatever you're carrying to operate the latch.

Whereas deleting the latch you can even carry stuff in two hands; lifting the seat with your elbow.
Westy rear seat storage latch delete modification

If I were to add 'security' to the bench seat is would be such that when 'unlocked' I could still lift the seat with my elbow.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Better security for bench seat Reply with quote

Use a bowden cable and put the pull knob in some other place where it's not obvious what it is for.

But keeping bad guys out of the under seat stowage? Why not just keep the bad guys out of the car? Do you lock it? If the bad guys get into the car, stuff under the seat will be the least of your worries.

Get one of these or similar and file a hook in the top of the lever. Then fasten a receiving metal piece on the bottom of the seat. Throw away the OG latch entirely. Only lock it when you want to, otherwise, just pick up the seat. Needing a hold down in the case of a roll over--as I said earlier, that will be the least of your problems. Don't worry about it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: