Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Olympics and mild rant
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

The ongoing clusterfuck in the Bay forums.

Link?

fun starts about here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9194219#9194219

one of my favorite pix is how they sawed the NEW headliner around the rust on a bus that was "restored". top notch work here....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and then blaming them for crowned roads causing the rust Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

The ongoing clusterfuck in the Bay forums.

Link?

fun starts about here…

Ohhh, it started WAAAAYYY before that. Be sure to check the other threads linked in the beginning of that thread.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Man, I've got to get to other forums more often. Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
What the fuck has the world come to?!? Making excuses for & celebrating a QUITTER!

i think that is the difference between knowing when to say when and aging out. my brother in law is a professional athlete who was set to compete in the Olympics until the wuflu made a mess out of everything.

thing is, he has an exit plan and realized at an early enough age he will in fact age out of the world of professional competition. his story is a little different seeing he races sail boats so there's ton of money behind it all.

I have a customer that was always difficult to contact because he was always in some resort-ish area for business. Colorado one week, the Alps another, & so on. Curious, I had to ask what he did for a living & he replied insurance industry. He grew up a skier & mountain biker & he told me that after seeing one friend after another eat it in one extreme sport or another, he decided that he would start selling insurance instead. So now he sells insurance to as many skiers, bikers, parachuters, & wing suiters as possible. His life expectancy shot straight up & he said that he out lived most of his buddies.

Sounds like a quitter. what a douche.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Saw an interesting post...some of which was political which I will not repeat:

"Simone Biles won national titles with broken toes in both feet, national titles with a kidney stone, and has carried the burden of being a face of sexual assault survivors as a national institution failed to support them"

Yet people are questioning her "toughness"?

Exactly. But a bunch of chest pounding vw guiys have it all figured out. LMFAO!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Cusser wrote:
My brother won an Olympic gold medal and was so proud that he had it bronzed.

Excellent !

Full points given.

When I was a teenager, I practiced and trained for the Olympics as often as I could. Then I found out that the breast stroke was a swimming event !!!!

So I switched to the broad jump....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

It's quite the "free for all" today. Enjoying the entertainment.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

On a good note:
USA Baseball Advances to Gold Medal Game With 7-2 Victory Over Korea
https://www.usabaseball.com/news/topic/general/u-s...over-korea

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

the U.S. last night took gold and silver in the shot put. These guys can bench 700+lbs. to train for this. Then in men’s 400m relay they got knocked out of finals coming in 5th place. Afterward in interview when asked about it one of them was quoted as saying “ this is some bullshit”😀
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Afterward in interview when asked about it one of them was quoted as saying “ this is some bullshit”😀

Link

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Hometown dairy farmer Ellie Purrier St.Pierre will run the 1500 meter woman’s finals at nine am est today. Go Ellie Go!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Sadly she came in fourth from last. Kudos for your effort. You still hold the world record for the mile.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Sadly she came in fourth from last. Kudos for your effort. You still hold the world record for the mile.

She will join the Club of Tanzanian John Stephen Akhwari, 1968

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stephen_Akhwari

he took a fall during the Marathon, limped in bloody and bruised in just under four hours. The film crew covering the Medals rushed back to the stadium when they learned someone else was still on the race.

Media - Why did you keep on running?

JSA ""My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race."[3]"

These are the people who make the Olympics worthwhile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
calvinater wrote:

he took a fall during the Marathon, limped in bloody and bruised in just under four hours. The film crew covering the Medals rushed back to the stadium when they learned someone else was still on the race.

JSA ""My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race."[3]"

Applause Applause Applause

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Abscate wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Applause Applause Applause

This is called class, a man of honor and pride.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

I see the germans are doing well in horse boxing Wink but seriously I think the random and unknown horses idea should be carried over to some other sports...for example competing cyclists could be confronted with a random assortment of every-day bikes or sailors given various sea craft they've never practiced on.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
jspbtown wrote:
Just because you are a professional athlete (or professional mother or professional garbage man or whatever) does not mean you can't suffer from mental health issues.

By covering professional athletes and their battles with mental health issues it might help others who might be feeling the same way get the treatment they might need before they decide to leave their spouses, or children, or siblings. I don't see why we should discourage covering an athletes mental health issues if they are willing to discuss them publicly..

Mental illness doesn't care if you have a lot of things or not. It doesn't care if you are employed or not. It doesn't care if the world knows you or if you are jus known to your local folks at the diner. It can strike anyone.

And the more we talk about it....versus hiding it like we have done in the past....the more treatment people will accept and the better off we are as a country.

Remember.....people have always had mental health issues. Just because we chose to hide it in the past does not mean it never existed. And if you think ignoring something or burying it makes it not exist then you are sadly mistaken.

What the fuck are you even talking about?!?

The athletes that participate in these games, and the professional sports leagues are playing a fucking GAME. Yes, they are the best at what THEY do. But that doesn’t mean that I want to see or hear their opinions on whatever hot button topic that they want to push, and other than showing that they have some serious mental health issues, none of them seem to be pushing a “mental health awareness” agenda.

If you want to compete in the Olympics, AS an AMERICAN, you should not show your contempt for America or the rest it’s citizens. The only way that this shit is gonna stop is when the sanctioning bodies finally start fining, stripping them of whatever trophies/records, and/or firing the assholes that bring whatever sign/signal/symbol of protest to the field or podium.

That sort of selfish signaling ruins it for the rest of the competitors… and for those of us that just want to watch a fucking game.

Best?

Plenty of folks out there that compete but have no desire to go to the Olympics. My wife swam for years for team Japan (200m breaststroke) she did not wish to be in the Olympics ever. Asked her why?

It is to commercialized.

Most of those athletes would fold in boot camp.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I see the germans are doing well in horse boxing Wink but seriously I think the random and unknown horses idea should be carried over to some other sports...for example competing cyclists could be confronted with a random assortment of every-day bikes or sailors given various sea craft they've never practiced on.

How about the random engine build?

Give each team a box of Gex parts and you have to build an engine and drive 26 miles in it. Wait, let’s make that 100 meters
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
finster wrote:

How about the random engine build?

Give each team a box of Gex parts and you have to build an engine and drive 26 miles in it. Wait, let’s make that 100 meters

I'm in.
Like they say, "it's not the parts, It's the mechanic "
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Olympics and mild rant Reply with quote

Watched little bit of closing ceremonies last night. We can all be proud of all the team USA women they set a record for most Gold medals ever. As I’m writing this April Ross and Alix Klineman are explaining the finer points of women’s beach volleyball. A bit of positive news today😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: