Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Owner of a SO42, first bus!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

There's a guy here in San Diego that makes all the campers' parts. He could make you the two door coverings and the shelf or just the Formica part.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Cool bus- wonder how they got bus front door pockets to fit in a 65' bus?

Clara offers pockets on her panels.
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Cool bus- wonder how they got bus front door pockets to fit in a 65' bus?

Bus was built in Nov of 65, I originally thought it was a 65, it's a 66. Did bus front pockets start in 66?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

timjames722 wrote:
Did bus front pockets start in 66?
No. Here's a pic of 1962 model year, no pockets after late in the '61 model year. Pockets were used in earlier buses.
If I'm wrong, Clara will be here to correct me in a little bit...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
timjames722 wrote:
Did bus front pockets start in 66?
No. Here's a pic of 1962 model year, no pockets after late in the '61 model year. Pockets were used in earlier buses.
If I'm wrong, Clara will be here to correct me in a little bit...

Cool! Thanks for letting me know about that. Going to leave them on for now 👍
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Personally I would leave the front door panels, was just curious, not trying to nitpick. Bus looks very original with only the linoleum being replaced in the back. If it were my bus I would be sure to go the "conservation/preservation" route, way too much nice original paint left on that bus to do otherwise. Great first bus purchase!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Personally I would leave the front door panels, was just curious, not trying to nitpick. Bus looks very original with only the linoleum being replaced in the back. If it were my bus I would be sure to go the "conservation/preservation" route, way too much nice original paint left on that bus to do otherwise. Great first bus purchase!

Totally understand, going to keep it as original as possible. I’m curious as to what’s under the linoleum. In the coat closet I can see the original SO42 flooring, I’ll take a picture.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

That would be nice surprise if original lino is hiding underneath Smile The original wasn't the hardest wearing so fingers crossed it has survived. Good news is that quite convincing repro lino is available. Bad news is they are pricey and you have to remove 90% of the SO42 kit to install it properly (ask me how I know Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase. Walkthru SO42 poptop is the best split bus camper you can get (IMO).
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Great bus to start with, looks very unmolested.
My bus was just like yours. The original panels were water damaged, too beat to keep but usable as templates. I made all new panels out of 5X5 baltic birch. The long wall panel will have to be made using a door skin and veneer, as the grain is supposed to run vertically and a 4X8 sheet of anything will have the grain running horizontally.

If that house in the background of your photo is yours, the windows are installed improperly.
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Great bus to start with, looks very unmolested.
My bus was just like yours. The original panels were water damaged, too beat to keep but usable as templates. I made all new panels out of 5X5 baltic birch. The long wall panel will have to be made using a door skin and veneer, as the grain is supposed to run vertically and a 4X8 sheet of anything will have the grain running horizontally.

If that house in the background of your photo is yours, the windows are installed improperly.

Thanks for letting me know about that, I wouln;t have thought about the grain.
That's my parents, needed new stucco and it opened up a can of worms. Had to basically reframe the back of the house. Original builder never pitched the sills.... all fixed now.
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Congrats on the purchase. Walkthru SO42 poptop is the best split bus camper you can get (IMO).

Thanks, I dig it!
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Here’s mine.

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

timjames722, congratulations, I have the same SO42 but a 67. Can you post your m-code plate located behind the passengers seat? I would like to see the code for your clock as I always thought clocks were installed in a deluxe bus. I'm only guessing here that the original owner ordered a clock. Get yourself a VW birth certificate too as that will show everything on your new Westy. Looking forward to the interior pictures.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_us/service/certificate-data-sheets.html

timjames722 wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Working on the rust in the rear area. Going to get it prepped and paint it with rustoleum smoke grey gloss, same as VW primer. Want to protect this area and when the time comes paint it with the og color.

Heading to Hershey tomorrow, gonna try and find some hubcaps
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Hubcaps will not be chrome on that bus unless ordered special. Should be gray.
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Hubcaps will not be chrome on that bus unless ordered special. Should be gray.

Cool thank you. I woulda went for chrome. So grey like the commercial buses?

Tim
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Yes. SO-42 Westfalias were made out of kombis, and kombis had gray caps, black levers on the vent windows, a few other things.
No heat-pressed seams on the front seat covers either...smooth but otherwise the same. I like the seams so I ordered those kind anyway.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

timjames722 wrote:

I stopped by a friend's house today and noticed his Fabrik # is very close to yours Laughing

What is the Export Code on your Westy?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: