Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Owner of a SO42, first bus!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

You ought to put the small (2) and larger (2) clamps on the two black rubber boots on each side of your intake manifold - snug but don't over-tighten. It'll probably work okay for a while, but I'd sure want clamps to prevent future leakage. Installing the correct pre-heat system to your air cleaner and carburetor might help out too. Nice Campmobile!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Thanks Bill! The clamps blended in with the boots in the picture, they’re there.
Here’s an updated view of my engine with the SVDA installed. Running great, plan to drop the engine in the winter and fix the main seal as well as the sender in the tank.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just watched your video on your Double Cab, it’s great!

What's the point in callin shots? This cue ain't straight in line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Redid the front brakes last week with a good buddy, new WW shoes, FTE wheel cylinders and springs. Much better pedal now. Rubber hoses were replaced couple years ago.
As the weather gets nice on the east coast, going to tackle new Baltic birch panels on the cargo doors. To stain or not stain? Haven’t decided yet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

New tires got put on the SO42. Went with the Hankook Vantra LT 185R14, they feel great so far! Much sturdier than my white wall Hankooks that were 13 years old.
Going to my first show tonight with the bus, should be a blast!

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus Reply with quote

Slowly getting OG correct parts for the SO42.

Thanks to Greg for hooking me up with the correct horn. The Deluxe horn is cool but the kombi horn is kooler imo on this bus.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Now you need a black steering wheel and black outer horn ring to complete the set. Great looking bus!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

The standard horn buttons are the best! I get folks wanting to dress up their bus but nothing beats basic and correct on top of that!

Great looking bus, by the way!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
The standard horn buttons are the best! I get folks wanting to dress up their bus but nothing beats basic and correct on top of that!

Great looking bus, by the way!

Totally agree, nothing beats stock. Thanks!

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Now you need a black steering wheel and black outer horn ring to complete the set. Great looking bus!

Oops, I have been informed that "Late" model westies had the white steering wheel as shown in your photo.

Shows you what I know about these "New" Westies.
The earlier Westies I am familiar with all had black steering wheels, along with other Kombi characteristics.

When did they switch to white steering wheels?
Was it just a Westy/Kombi thing, or did all Kombis get white steering wheels at some point?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

the consensus seems to be that mcoded westy's got the white wheel, shifter, knob treatment.

Flipseats as far back as 61 have white wheels where SO23's do not. id guess the change occured then.

Both my "late" westy's have white wheels- 62 and 65.

j.pickens wrote:
j.pickens wrote:

Oops, I have been informed that "Late" model westies had the white steering wheel as shown in your photo.

The earlier Westies I am familiar with all had black steering wheels, along with other Kombi characteristics.

Was it just a Westy/Kombi thing, or did all Kombis get white steering wheels at some point?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
j.pickens wrote:

From my knowledge 66 Westies had white steering wheels. I know of 2 others, both have white on white steering wheels. 67 I would assume is the same. I can't say for anything earlier. Someone more knowledgeable on Westies should be able to chime in....

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Us late westy owners be fancy
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

My '66 Westy also has a white steering wheel. It looks my Fabrik Nr. is within 100 of you guys (my bus was imported through the Port of New York)

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Very cool! Do you know when your bus was delivered to the NY?

lator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

timjames722 wrote:

Unfortunately no. Best guess is sometime after its birthday of November 3, 1966
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

lator wrote:
timjames722 wrote:

Unfortunately no. Best guess is sometime after its birthday of November 3, 1966

Interesting as my bus only being 100 behind from your tag was delivered in Nov of 1965.
Anymore pictures of your bus?

lator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

I have always found it odd that the dates for the M-code plate and Westfalia interior were so far apart.

My bus came to me from Ohio. It didn't run, stop, or shift. I replaced the engine, fixed the transmission, redid the whole brake system, added a new wiring harness, and replaced the front floors. Now she is a runner and I couldn't be happier Very Happy

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

lator wrote:
I have always found it odd that the dates for the M-code plate and Westfalia interior were so far apart.

My bus came to me from Ohio. It didn't run, stop, or shift. I replaced the engine, fixed the transmission, redid the whole brake system, added a new wiring harness, and replaced the front floors. Now she is a runner and I couldn't be happier Very Happy

Amazing looking bus, no better feeling than driving it down the road. My 66 also has slanted bumper in the front and pointed in the back. Nice bus!!

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Curtains, Curtain rods and most of the bungees holding the curtains were gone when I got this camper.

Over the weekend got some OG rods installed, repop curtains and made some bungee holders. Camper is coming along!

What was left of the original bungees

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Nice work getting all the details in place. I've made a few sets of those bungies for myself/friends as they are always missing or worn out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: