Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUSorBUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

Need some help fellas-
Bought this 65 panel bus with this adjustable beam - don't think it matters what beam I have if the ends are stock drum?
Need suggestions for good disc brake options?

Thanks!
Brian
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

This kit is currently out of stock, but it's what I'm planning on going with. It uses parts that are easily available at any local auto parts store anywhere in the country. A brilliant piece of kit, IMO.

https://type-emotorsports.com/products/type-e-ez-s...4739508284
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475194&highlight=disc+brake

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

yes, check out that thread posted above ^^^

but, as also mentioned above, the Type-E kit is definitely the best quality and price on the market. I have installed multiple on customer buses as well as run a set on one of my own buses.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

you have 1 ton spindles, make sure you order accordingly.
Stay away from China stuff, it's crap. I installed a couple of these and had several problems w clearance - studs - one needed spacers.

I use SACO, it's a bit $$, but zero issues and complete kit.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

The Type E kit of Brians rocks!!!. Best kit by far on the market!.

https://type-emotorsports.com/products/type-e-ez-s...4739508284
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

I installed the Wolfgang Intl. kit on my '63 DC. It is a straight bolt-on, no mods to the vehicle. Easy install, no hiccups. It uses 73-79 Bus calipers and pads. Some grinding of the calipers is required to clear 15" stock wheels.

https://wolfgangint.com/home/1213-bus-front-disc-brake-conversions-kit-2615107b.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

Hi all, I just did a disc conversion on the front of my ‘58. The driver side tire for one is wearing super fast and uneven now, towards the inner part of the tire. The hub/rotor seems to be a little loose on both sides. My question is, is the hub and rotor supposed to have some play or should they be tight so as to be 1:1? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

Sounds like you have some loose nuts or bolts. Have you rechecked anything for tightness?
What kit?
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

I guess that is my main question is should I retorque the hub/rotor assemblies? The kit I installed was the billet bus kit from kustom1warehouse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus disc brake conversion suggestions Reply with quote

buspeople wrote:
I guess that is my main question is should I retorque the hub/rotor assemblies? The kit I installed was the billet bus kit from kustom1warehouse.

There should be no play or looseness of any sort between the rotor and hub. However, if the tire is suddenly wearing unevenly, I would look beyond the rotor. Something is very wrong and it could be quite dangerous. Check the axle nuts, any spacers and lug nuts. Start by jacking up the wheel and spinning it, looking for wobble and listening for noises.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: