Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truma Saphir Air Conditioner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Hello, wondering if anyone has installed the Truma Saphir under bench unit sold by Campervanculture.com in their Vanagon as full time AC unit? Seems like you could run some duct to front of dash and run on auxiliary power while driving. Added benefit of camp AC on those hot nights too!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Who are you?

Maybe do an "Intro Post" or something saying hello!

Possibly include a link to tje AC unit you are referring to.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Easy does it there, Steve. No rule here that a first-time poster need introduce themselves.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

maybe half a point there Ol Red.. I looked at that web page a while, could not find the mentioned device.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
maybe half a point there Ol Red.. I looked at that web page a while, could not find the mentioned device.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/truma-saphir-compact-under-bench-air-conditioning-unit/

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

55 amps on 12v. What’s a Truckfridge use, like 6 maybe? That’s not going to run for long unless you plug into shore power.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

That a/c unit is about 22 inches long. It might interfere with the sheetmetal firewall at the back of the bench.

This looks to be European spec electrical rather than US spec.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Who are you?

Sorry about that Steve. My name is Jason and coming back into the VW world with a '86 Syncro after letting all my various VW's go over 25 years ago. Looking for an AC solution and didn't see this anywhere on the forum so thought I would ask. Seems like it could be a low cost interesting solution while on the road and the alternator is charging auxiliary batteries. Probably not realistic for use while camping unless plugged into shore power. Thanks for the reply.
https://campervanculture.com/shop/truma-saphir-compact-under-bench-air-conditioning-unit/
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Welcome to the site!

It looks like it will work with shore power at an improved camp site.

But the kicker is the 12v consumption.
Sucking juice at that rate won't provide a lot of cool time.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

@jmjardine Welcome! What kind of Vanagon do you have? If you're looking for an a/c camping solution many of us are using small window style units that we sit on a platform in one of the front windows, or if you've got a pop top sit it in the luggage rack, and either make or buy a fabric piece that acts like a tunnel from the a/c thought the front window of the popup tent.

That latter one is the way I've gone using a Fancher's cone on the front of the tent. Made a world of difference camping a couple of weeks ago.

The window unit, or the one you shared would need shore power to run, or a generator.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

jmjardine wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Who are you?

Sorry about that Steve. My name is Jason and coming back into the VW world with a '86 Syncro after letting all my various VW's go over 25 years ago. Looking for an AC solution and didn't see this anywhere on the forum so thought I would ask. Seems like it could be a low cost interesting solution while on the road and the alternator is charging auxiliary batteries. Probably not realistic for use while camping unless plugged into shore power. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I should have put a Very Happy after asking who you were!
Welcome back to the invanity.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

55amps on 12v, but it's 230-240vac and not really going to find that too easy I think in a paid for campsite.

SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
@jmjardine Welcome! What kind of Vanagon do you have? If you're looking for an a/c camping solution many of us are using small window style units that we sit on a platform in one of the front windows, or if you've got a pop top sit it in the luggage rack, and either make or buy a fabric piece that acts like a tunnel from the a/c thought the front window of the popup tent.

That latter one is the way I've gone using a Fancher's cone on the front of the tent. Made a world of difference camping a couple of weeks ago.

The window unit, or the one you shared would need shore power to run, or a generator.

Thank you! We have a '86 Westy pop-top Syncro. Really looking for AC while driving to SoCal to see our kids and we spend a lot of time in the desert off-road. Considering the small car dash AC but I came across this unit and thought it was interesting. But, doesn't sound like it works for our intended use which is mostly while driving.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Appreciate all the replies everyone. Sounds like we should just go with something like the small car dash AC. Thank you!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Welcome! Enjoy your new van!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Just be aware that the Small Car unit has its unique features.

No more ram air fresh air. Recirculate cabin air only.

Many report it is adequate to cool the front passengers but does littke for people in the rear seats, do not expect the entire Van to be cool. Some make a curtain to contain the cool air in the front seat area.

The VW Evaporator coil that cools the entire Van is 28” long and about 6” square. You will not be fitting that cooling capacity in the dash.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Just be aware that the Small Car unit has its unique features.

No more ram air fresh air. Recirculate cabin air only.

Many report it is adequate to cool the front passengers but does littke for people in the rear seats, do not expect the entire Van to be cool. Some make a curtain to contain the cool air in the front seat area.

The VW Evaporator coil that cools the entire Van is 28” long and about 6” square. You will not be fitting that cooling capacity in the dash.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have heard the woes of that unit and it seems as there is no ideal solution at any cost. The small car unit is not so cheap either.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Do you happen to have the original AC mounted in the back by any chance?
If you remove all the ductwork going forward all reports say it is a much better airflow.

SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
If you remove all the ductwork going forward all reports say it is a much better airflow.

Hi Steve, Gowesty did a full restoration on this Syncro in 2012 and removed all the AC guts. So, a good opportunity to find a better than OEM option!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Truma Saphir Air Conditioner Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

I cry BS on that theory! ^^^ Personal experience tells me otherwise......

Not unlike the widely held opinion that "Vanagon "factory" A/C is crap and they NEVER worked well, even when new"

That has certainly been proven incorrect by many people!

I just hung my ducts up to STAY UP.

Having duct work is FAR SUPERIOR to using the blower fans to create a Nor'Easter in the rear and blowing it forward to the front seats!

I think that owners are simply frustrated with the old decaying plastic, endless attempts at repairs that don't work, they threw up their hands in frustration ripped it out and declared it to have better airflow without ducts.

Just like not being able to fix a 30 year old decayed A/C system on the cheap, throwing up their hands in frustration and declaring the entire system to be crap from day 1 and ripping it out.

Anyway.......Rant over......
A link to fixing the duct work.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757559

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: