Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition problem
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwweiden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Ignition problem Reply with quote

I’ve just completed my Westfalen 1976 with a. 1600 engine. My problem is with ignition switch on and. A remote stater connected I have been able to start and run engine just fine. Now I remove remote starter switch and engine won’t start with ignition switch. Can it be he ignition switch or a wiring problem. The starter works fine with the switch but engine will not start. Once as I quit cram king the engine started when the switch went back to the run position but almost like a after thought. Anxious to get on the road any help would be appreciated.
Pete
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

Bad electrical part of ignition switch. You can test by running a jumper wire from license plate light to + on coil, turn on parking lights and start the bus if it starts and runs it's the switch, turn off lights to stop motor.
Jrh5r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

Check your ground strap on the transmission.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

Check your voltage at the coil while cranking. Zero voltage may be a bad ignition switch and low voltage (<9v) could be bad wiring. If you have 9+ volts at the coil it could be bad points, condenser, or coil.
pwweiden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

I’ve checked transmission ground it’s good.
I tried jumping from license plate light to coil in start position parking lights will not come on. There is no voltage at coil while cranking. I’ve retired the bus is it possible I got wires mixed? Sorry I’m new to the forum and not sure how to reply individually
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

The neg. (1) coil terminal stud goes to dist. the other wires go to + terminal. To reply to a poster clk. the quote tab and when you get the new screen move the bottom quote down a few lines and reply.
pwweiden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The neg. (1) coil terminal stud goes to dist. the other wires go to + terminal. To reply to a poster clk. the quote tab and when you get the new screen move the bottom quote down a few lines and reply.

Thanks for the come back. Since I retired the complete bus I’m going to track all the coil circuits.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

It is a quite common fault that the ignition switch disconnects the coil when you are cranking. If that happens, the switch is worn out.

The moving part of the switch eventually cuts through the stationary part inside the switch, helped by the current flowing - see EDM machining for the effect in question.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition problem Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
It is a quite common fault that the ignition switch disconnects the coil when you are cranking. If that happens, the switch is worn out.

The moving part of the switch eventually cuts through the stationary part inside the switch, helped by the current flowing - see EDM machining for the effect in question.

That and if it is one of the craqppy new switches, the plastic likes to melt and the contacts move and are no longer contacts...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: