Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

rent a truck and tow it on your continued trip.
a $100 tow bar. plus some handyman wiring work (or just toss on the 4ways like we did) and you still have your bed&breakfast with you.
you will have to disconnect the driveaxles to not ruin the AT pump/governor

they tow surprisingly well. Wink

there's a thread in here with the bolt dimension requirements. and most FLAPS/farm & fleet/harbor frieghts have a 5000# towbar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

Aside from all the negativity, how was the trip up to this point?

"Besides all that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

LOL, that was a good one!
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

Well it took two days and two round-trips between Taos and Breckenridge to get the family and the van back home, but we're all home now and we're safe, which is the important part.

Now it's time for a deep dive on transmissions.

I don't mean to turn this into a referendum on transmission options... because I need to do a LOT of reading now... but the options I'm deciding among are:

1) Rebuild the Auto I've already got. Cheapest option. Parts look like around $200, Ive got the time and the skills. This would also probably be the fastest way to get my van back on the road. But I really dislike automatics.

2) Swap to a VW 4-speed manual. I like this option but I have to find one first. Also it sounds like a Ring & Pinion swap would be in order, and maybe a 4th gear change as well. I'm going to start looking around for a manual (and the clutch pedal, clutch, etc. I would also have to change my CV axles. All of this adds up to significant more cost and time than sticking with the Auto.

3) Go with a reversed Subaru trans. This has many of the same disadvantages of option 2 (time to find the parts) and would be even more expensive than option 2, but I guess it yields a pretty bulletproof result.

Back to the drawing board.

And yes...
"Besides all that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"
That was flippin' hilarious.
It gave me and the family the only laugh that day.

Cheers
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

Rebuild your auto, get it back on the road with minimal cost. Then explore other options as time and money permit

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Rebuild your auto, get it back on the road with minimal cost. Then explore other options as time and money permit

This, absolutely. Plus eventually you get to have a spare auto transmission for the next unlucky bugger to fall foul of 'shit happens'. Smile
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

Rebuild your automatic.

Start here. This is a guide for rebuilding automatics with Audi 5000 turbo internals, but you can use it to build a regular auto as well.

Your Vanagon automatic transmission is more robust, easier to rebuild, and has more available replacement parts than the Vanagon manual transmission.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

Thanks guys... I guess I'm gonna rebuild my automatic!

Plus, I did get a line on a free replacement auto... about 3.5 hours driving away... so that's my 'backup' trans right there, I guess.

Thanks for the input, guys.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

crobox wrote:
But I really dislike automatics.

the only automatic i have ever owned my entire life before i got my automatic vanagon has been my plow truck and a garden tractor. so i pretty much have driven a manual for my whole life.

that said...

i kinda dig it. put it in D and just hammer down. i bought a parts van to do a manual swap 'just in case' but the reality is i really kind of like the automatic.

i have a 2.5 hooked to mine and it its kind of trippy. it will bark 2nd gear if i hammer it. i don't have the time or space to dedicate to build transmissions so Matt Steedle did mine and i told him to build it to the 9's, which he did.

anyway, i wouldn't discount the automatic. i wasn't a real believer either but after spending some time with one i really like it.

kourt wrote:
Rebuild your automatic.

Your Vanagon automatic transmission is more robust, easier to rebuild, and has more available replacement parts than the Vanagon manual transmission.

kourt

^^^^
i agree with *most* of this. the 'gotcha' as you've found is trying to locate one. they have become VERY scarce out in the wild as you've found. and parts are not super available either. the pandemic has made this that much harder as well.

and i will add...you will have a bunch of people say "go to the junkyard and get the audi blaa blaa blaa transmission....." when is the last time you've even seen one of those cars going down the road, let alone in a junk yard? and there is no guarantee IF you found one someone hasn't been in there before and swapped stuff out. some people fail to realize we're in 2021 and not 1994...stuff has dried up and been crushed.

anyway...the very few trans people i deal with have all spoken very highly of the automatic in terms of being a pretty tough trans when built right. so much so....many will tell you it's a stronger trans then the 4 speed.

the subaru automatic....

in stock form i've seen them go 300k untouched. i still have nightmares about Turd Tribblers rollout of the reversed 5 speed and the issues my customers had with them only to be met with "huh, lemme know how you fix it"

i WANT that trans to work, but in my mind....it's a case of "you first". i'm not going to be the test bed for this guy again. in a year or 2 i may be more open to that idea but as of now....nope.

it would be killer to have a 4 speed with a lock up converter....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

OK I am getting into the Auto Trans, in order to rebuild it.

After a certain amount of consideration, I thought it probably made sense to start a new thread about that, rather than continue here.

The thread is called
Rebuilding Vanagon Automatic Transmission (Stuck in Breck, CO)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757866

Christian
crobox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

This van is back on the road after rebuilding the transmission.
Feeling strong.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Cheers
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: SOS: stuck with family and dead auto trans near Breckenridge, CO Reply with quote

Congrats!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: