Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

One thing everyone seems to forget is that Karmann was not a mass-production shop and pulled parts from the warehouse, often until old stocks were used up. Progressive Refinements and Garwood should only be looked at as general guidance when it comes to Karmann.

We have owned very early production 1965 and 1968 convertibles. The '68, being a major changeover year, had no obvious carryover parts from '67, but had a lot of rework done to the body shell, with multiple sections having been repainted. The '65, on the other hand, had the larger glass area and the new top, with the chrome-plated brass strips and thin, first type of vinyl that deteriorated quickly. It also had a full '64-only interior.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
61SNRF wrote:
67conv wrote:
...Front fenders...definitely aftermarket.

Sorry to say this is wrong but many people are under the same mis-conception.
It is true they not original 67 items but they are indeed genuine VW replacements.
When VW ran out of original 67 front fender pressings they sold you front fenders made for the 68-72 Standards sold in European markets.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498208

To the OP, the good thing is they're genuine German and you have a matching pair.
The bad thing is you'll constantly have mis-informed people telling you they're aftermarket.

While there were OEM fenders with the wide horn grill spacing, they were offered as genuine replacements into the late 60’s, early 70’s. Unless the op’s vehicle was repainted in the 70’s, it’s very doubtful they are VW. With the aftermarket bumpers, white fender beading, and lack of chrome in the windshield rubber, this “refresh” was done on the cheap like 99.997% of work done on every other Beetle from the 80’s onward. Any OEM VW fender I have worked with has had a VW logo stamped in it. If there is no logo on the fender, or any receipt from the dealer with the car, it’s aftermarket. Kinda like saying every engine in a Beetle is the original one, but unless you have a confirmed birth certificate, there’s no way of knowing.

To the op, do what you want with the car. 100% of those “experts” critiquing your vehicle at the local show right out of the gate are jealous haters. Those that have 67 convertibles more original to yours with inferiority complexes already feel superior because they have “a nicer car” in their minds. Then there are the true modest enthusiasts, that may, or may not even have a VW, that don’t say anything negative at all.

This thread is a perfect example of the “he said, she said”, “this is correct, this is not” type of individuals you are going to meet at a VW event.

You made made me laugh Gkeeton, thank you lol. Where would I look on the fenders for the "VW Stamp?"

Anyway, the thing is, in my area as I mentioned which is Central Florida I haven't seen a convertible 67 or even super beetle in over a decade on the road so who am I competing with? When it comes to "value." The value is the love I have for the car because I have no plans, none zero to ever sell it. I'm not a car flipper. I would like to collect up all the original parts even though I don't plan to stay stock just to have them.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

@Achtung360,
Yeah, lots of experts here, so sharp in fact they can tell aftermarket rear fenders from a few pics in a forum Rolling Eyes
On the subject of those rear fenders, you'll be extremely lucky if you can put the proper taillights on and cover the scabs. No way to know until you try.

As for the wheels, being it's a '67 and has long axles don't think you'll ever get an 8" rim under the rear fenders. 6's are about as wide as you can go without considerable modifications.

@[email protected]
Myself, I don't think there was ever anyone making aftermarket front fenders for a US 67. It just would not make economical sense. One year only with a limited market would just not make it viable. As far as your 60's 70's timeline goes, I know a friend with a '67 who bought those fenders new in the mid 80's at a VW dealer in Glendora, Ca.
Also don't know why would you suggest the car was done on the cheap. Maybe not in everyone's taste but I would say it looks like someone has spent considerable time and effort on it. More like change in life or lost interest.
I do believe everyone contributing here will agree that 360 got a smokin' hot deal!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:

Myself, I don't think there was ever anyone making aftermarket front fenders for a US 67. It just would not make economical sense. One year only with a limited market would just not make it viable. As far as your 60's 70's timeline goes, I know a friend with a '67 who bought those fenders new in the mid 80's at a VW dealer in Glendora, Ca.

1) There were nearly 1 million Beetles made in 1967. Almost all cars had aftermarket parts, why would you believe the most produced car would not? Especially a part which may be the most likely damaged in an accident.
2) It wasn't just 67 in the US - that fender was used in other years in the world, which is *why* you can tell the original vs. non-original fenders for US. The European version, as I understand, had the wider horn grills, and I think that's why the aftermarket used it as a template - it was simply more common over larger number of years.

I'm surprised no one has listed this post about fender differences: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448426&highlight=fender

In the end, the OP can do what he wants, of course. If he wants originality, there are a ton of threads and resources on that.

It's a great looking bug!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

@harrymarlin
I think it's disrespectful to Auctung360 to clog his topic and go off on tangents about fenders. Notice I linked the other fender post in my first reply.
If you desire to continue the debate then why not post there instead?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited by 61SNRF on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
@harrymarlin
I think it's disrespectful to Auctung360 to clog his topic and go off on tangents about fenders. Notice I linked the other fender post in my first reply.
If you desire to continue the debate then why not post there instead?

No not at all. I really don't mind find it all entertaining and also interesting.
Actually since I can't sleep at night knowing my fenders and bumpers might not be original I dug this car out of field.

Can everyone chime in and tell me if these are the finders and bumpers I need? The head lamps look original mine are definitely not. At first I though it was the head lamps making the fenders odd and that is all it could be but maybe it is both. Also where do I look for the VW stamp on the fenders?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Achtung360 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
I want to design the car and finish it off how I want it.
That's fine. Any shiny alloy rims will look great against the bright red body color. I still think that the Fuchs alloys you are considering will be much too wide for your stock-width fenders. You can buy narrower, 15" diameter Fuchs replicas (e.g., 4.5", 5.5", 6.0" widths) that will fit better, especially if you buy brake drums that are already drilled for the 911 bolt pattern so that you won't need to fit adapters that create extra width.

Hi Rome, I don't know anyone with another beetle or any other air cooled for that matter. Like you know there is no way any vendor wheels take back that had tires mounted on them so the last thing I want to be is out $1k plus tires.

How do people mount these wide wheels?

Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
67rustavenger, I don't have a copy of Progressive Refinements to refer to, but I've had 2 VERY original August 1966 built '67's, the first one a sedan I purchased from the original owner with 52,000 miles on it in 1985. Never hit or had anything replaced on it before I purchased it. Original chrome bumpers tend to do well in So Cal (especially the rear ones!) It did NOT have the sloping towel rails...

The second picture is my currently owned 1967 convertible, also built in August 1966, also without the sloped towel rails...

The third picture is aircooled's (Richard's) August '66 built '67 convertible, all original low miles, second owner, (THE "gold standard" for early 67 convertible references)...again, with the non sloped towel rails.

I'm sure that somebody with a copy of Progressive Refinements will chime in on this tired old subject eventually, but it's always been my understanding that along with the other "mid year" 1967 detail changes, the towel rails were also changed. Maybe this took place a week or two into production in August?? You tell me.. Very Happy All I know is that not ALL original 67 rear bumpers in early production had the sloped towel rails.

I'm confused, do I have the correct rear bumpers or not? The owner of the car did tell me he bought replacements. I asked him what happened to the old ones and he told me "they were rusted." Very honest guy who wasn't out to screw me.

The red car on the trailer in my post above does that car have the correct bumpers and fenders?

Thanks
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:

I'm confused, do I have the correct rear bumpers or not? The owner of the car did tell me he bought replacements. I asked him what happened to the old ones and he told me "they were rusted." Very honest guy who wasn't out to screw me.
The red car on the trailer in my post above does that car have the correct bumpers and fenders?

Your previous bumpers were not original VW - you can tell by the rubber grommets that go around the towel bars that go in bumper blades (the black rings) - they are there ti help fill the less well fitting gaps in aftermarket bumpers. The ones in your field bug do not have them, and look pretty ild, so I'm sure they are original.

The easiest way to tell original US spec bumpers is by how far away the chrome horn ring holes are away from the edge - two fingers width is original, and three is not. Your field bug looks correct, I think (you don't have a good picture of them).

I'm sure others will post more/better info. Again, it all depends on how original you want. You have a beautifulbug to begin with, regardless of how original it is.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:

Sorry to keep coming back to this, but old engine pics fascinate me.
1) The generator cover - anyone have comments on if that would have been originally there? It is rare I see generator covers, and even rarer on a 67. But... those are the kinds of things people change over the years.
2) I don't think I've seen wire boots over generator wires before. Would that have been on a 67? If so, anyone know where I might get some?
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Harry, wrong generator for '67 in the picture. No rubber wire covers used, they were spade connected within a plastic housing.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:

Achtung360, Well...since you asked - harrymarlin summed it up nicely! But you need to post more /better pics of the front to answer questions for that end of this donor car's bumper / fenders..

The picture that you posted for the rear bumper on the 67 pulled from a field appears to be original. But if you look carefully at it, the towel rail on the left side seems to be a later '67 sloping type, and the one on the right appears to be an earlier non sloping type! Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken? Again, the back up lights and brackets are missing here too, which infers the bumper has been removed and or replaced along the way. If the bumper is a VW factory original, you can determine that by looking on the inside center area of the actual bumper blade itself, and find a small "VW" logo lightly embossed. However, being an east coast bumper, it might be obscured by years of corrosion or other malaise behind there.. The overall appearance from the posted picture looks good! Very Happy

Regarding those pesky front fenders again... Take your trusty phillips screwdriver, remove the one screw holding the turn signal chrome housing off, remove the housing / lens /gasket to expose the mounting hole on top of that fender. Is it ROUND? (circular) Then, it's original and factory produced during the 1967 model year run. Is the hole "D" shaped? Then it's a replacement fender of whatever "flavor" was available along the way in subsequent years. It seriously won't really even MATTER to you or anyone else in the final analysis since you're not going stock Nazi with it anyway! Just enjoy your car..

Once again, we're out here in the weeds on all this esoterica because you asked! Not trying to denegrade anything regarding your sweet '67 convertible score. You should be very proud of it and take it in any direction you choose to go with it.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
I don't think I've seen wire boots over generator wires before. Would that have been on a 67?

As mentioned above, '67s used a one-year-only generator that had a different type of connector setup ↓

Quote:
If so, anyone know where I might get some?

You can sometimes find these boots at your FLAPS. WCM also has them: https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22965028-113-901a.html
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

The boots were also used on 356's. Readily available along with starter boots as well - through any serious aftermarket suppliers. However, the '67 only generator set up wasn't really a '67 "only" thing. The '68's also used that spade / plastic surround style along with some '66 type 3's (in 6v if memory serves me correctly) I'm sure someone will correct me on the absolute specifics, but it wasn't '67 only..

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
@Achtung360,
Yeah, lots of experts here, so sharp in fact they can tell aftermarket rear fenders from a few pics in a forum Rolling Eyes
On the subject of those rear fenders, you'll be extremely lucky if you can put the proper taillights on and cover the scabs. No way to know until you try.

As for the wheels, being it's a '67 and has long axles don't think you'll ever get an 8" rim under the rear fenders. 6's are about as wide as you can go without considerable modifications.

@[email protected]
Also don't know why would you suggest the car was done on the cheap. Maybe not in everyone's taste but I would say it looks like someone has spent considerable time and effort on it. More like change in life or lost interest.
I do believe everyone contributing here will agree that 360 got a smokin' hot deal!

How about I rephrase done on the cheap, with done more economically?

Most likely the later tail lights/fenders were used because they were available for less money than the original style ones. It could also be that the owner at the time of the work wanted a larger, more visible marker light with an integrated reverse light to remove them from the bumper. Who knows?

If someone is paying someone else to work on their car, time is money. While og fenders, and reproductions were inexpensive as recent as 15-20 years ago, there is a fine line between part cost/work needed for a paint ready part. I’ve known very few in the last 32 years that have taken the time to remove dents/repair rust on used OEM VW fenders. It was most likely less expensive to “scuff n spray” a reproduction fender when the time for fitting, and prep was tallied up at the end of the day.

As for US 67 reproduction front fender availability, just do a google search. They are no different than the 68-77 fenders. The only thing that gets changed is the stamping of the horn grill, bumper outlet, and the turn signal location. I would imagine a 4th version of the same production fender is sold as a “Cal-Look” fender without the turn signal hole stamping.

And to 360, the round signal hole sounds like an easier/quicker method than finding a VW logo. They tended to be on the flange mounted to the body, and very tiny. Someone a little over zealous with the sand paper, or primer gun could easily erase the logo. The 67 only items are going to depend on when your car left the assembly line. If you do want an essence of 67, I would get the 67 only parts most commonly associated with the year. The drooping rear over riders on the bumper, and the front curved over rider are most associated with 67’s imo. They are only available as an OEM VW part that you will need to find in excellent shape, or have rechromed.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
The boots were also used on 356's. Readily available along with starter boots as well - through any serious aftermarket suppliers. However, the '67 only generator set up wasn't really a '67 "only" thing. The '68's also used that spade / plastic surround style along with some '66 type 3's (in 6v if memory serves me correctly) I'm sure someone will correct me on the absolute specifics, but it wasn't '67 only..

All I know is if I buy another car with "fake" bumpers and "fake fenders" you guys are getting a beating lol!!! I'll get more photos soon as I can. Can someone give me a photo of this VW stamp on these bumpers so I know where to look?

What do you guys think of the engine?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

inside of the bumper near the middle

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
67conv wrote:

All I know is if I buy another car with "fake" bumpers and "fake fenders" you guys are getting a beating lol!!! I'll get more photos soon as I can. Can someone give me a photo of this VW stamp on these bumpers so I know where to look?

I was thinking this was photos of an example, and not realizing you purchased it. The bumpers do not have the rubber pad under the ends of the “towel bar” portion of the over riders, so they appear to be OEM VW. Like someone else mentioned, it looks as if the left rear over rider is the “drooped” 67 style, and the right one is the more common 66-earlier. The marker lights in the rear are correct for 1967, so you may be able to get a set of rear fenders. The bumper is blocking the view of the horn grills on the front fenders. The headlights are correct, just see if the horn grills are around two fingers width from the apron, or three fingers.

The engine appears to have the correct pulley, and rear apron tin. Also, a correct 67 air filter. The generator, fuel pump, and distributor have been changed, and are not 67. Rcooled’s pic of a 67 engine is about as good as it gets to use as a guide/standard on what you might need.

This unique bend in the middle of the front bumper over rider for a plate attachment is another common oddity for a 67.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung, as I mentioned before as well as 61SNRF, all of the VWs which you've shown with the very wide rear wheels are 1966 and earlier with the shorter rear axles/narrower rear track. The US market 1967 had a unique rear axle design with its wider track and the wide-5 wheel bolt pattern. Since the rear fenders did not get wider on the '67, the '67's wider rear track reduces the choice of wide wheels and tires that still fit under the fender edge.

Quote:
The engine appears to have the correct pulley, and rear apron tin. Also, a correct 67 air filter. The generator, fuel pump, and distributor have been changed, and are not 67. Rcooled’s pic of a 67 engine is about as good as it gets to use as a guide/standard on what you might need.
A few details in rcooled's photo and on Achtung's red '67 sedan:
rcooled's:
- has what appears as the white letters "LO." stenciled/painted on the fan shroud at the upper right side. Those letters are actually "I.O." which stands for the German words "in Ordnung" meaning "OK" or "acceptable". The first period is close to the I so that it looks like an L. Factory-original engines had this stencil in that general location, though it varied in exact location and tilt/rotation since the stencil was positioned by hand and then the paint applied. The stencils were applied at the engine build stands/dynamometers after successfully passing the starting-up and running tests so show they are OK for the production line. Many fan shrouds have been refurbished over the decades and this stencil has been painted over. This engine's stencil is diligently recreated, along with its "fuzzy" letter edges.
- The ignition coil (you have to look closely to see it) is the traditional black painted one. Indicative of the usual Bosch brand coil.
- The clue for the '67-only crank pulley design is that the center pressing reinforcement is the shape of a smaller concentric ring (FL-Frank gallery).

Most other pulleys of earlier and later engines had 8 thin grooves going outward from the center fastening bolt (barrelroll gallery)
Knowing this detail now, you can tell from 5' away if the '67 engine has a correct pulley or not. Though I'm confident that not "all" 1967 engines explicitly had that "ring" style pulley. The 8-groove pulley was mostly painted black thru the ~ '72 model year; then switched to a pale gold anodizing like this one appears to be. Both styles of pulleys are interchangeable as to the actual fit on the crankshaft.

Achtung's:
- Has a small stencil for "12 V" on the generator backing plate. This is far more rare to see surviving and a nice indicator of at least the backing plate being factory-original.
- The "I.O." stencil is likely on the shroud, but hidden from view behind the right inlet snout of the air cleaner.
- Silver (aluminum) ignition coil which is indicative of an alternate factory supplier Garbe Lahmeyer. I've usually only seen that brand coil in 6 V engines on many '65 and '66 Beetles and Ghias. It's entirely possible it was offered in a smaller batch during this first model year of the 12 V cars

Rear fenders: I also agree that it cannot be determined if they are factory original to the car, or original used German, or non-VW aftermarket based on Achtung's original photos of his Cabrio. At this point I would not care, but for Achtung's inquiries there are some visual clues beyond the VW logo stamping, which I've personally not ever noticed. I have some OG rear fenders from a '62 Beetle which I'll have to check very carefully for the logo.

The '68 style taillamps could very well have been bolted onto OG '62 thru '67 fenders, as well as to aftermarket ones. Their larger size "could" hide the lower of the 2 mounting holes from a '67 style taillamp. I did this modification back in '75 per my cousin's idea when I ended up with some '68 taillamps in a parts buy for my '60 Beetle. My '60 did not have reverse lights and I did not retrofit a switch and harness so that they remained non-functional.

The 2 clues as to rear fenders being OG would be the quality of the fender stamping along the bottom front curve where it transitions from being horizontal near the running board to turning upward. Most of the aftermarket fenders had wrinkles/creases on the inward-facing lip of the U-shaped strengthening channel which you could feel with your fingers with the fender installed. OG ones had only maybe 1 or 2 "creases"/wrinkles in that channel; aftermarket ones had alot of them, and much more pronounced. Since that surface was to the inside of the fender, it was not noticed from the outside so that the wrinkles would not matter. They were caused by less sophisticated metal pressing techniques.

The other clue is less reliable because it depends if the rear apron is the original, and/or positioned in the exact location if replaced. The rear bottom tip of the fender where it meets the rear apron is supposed to make a continuous line from the fender contour to the apron. Some aftermarket fenders are slightly longer, say 1/2" to as much as 3/4" so that this line is disrupted. Others are slightly shorter, or the contour from the fender bottom edge does not flow to the apron in a continuous line. There is a small amount of "play" in the many fender mounting holes to push the fender frontwards so that the tip lines up better with the apron, but the general fitment of the fender is dictated by the outward kink of the quarter panel.
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Achtung360 wrote:
67conv wrote:

I was thinking this was photos of an example, and not realizing you purchased it. The bumpers do not have the rubber pad under the ends of the “towel bar” portion of the over riders, so they appear to be OEM VW. Like someone else mentioned, it looks as if the left rear over rider is the “drooped” 67 style, and the right one is the more common 66-earlier. The marker lights in the rear are correct for 1967, so you may be able to get a set of rear fenders. The bumper is blocking the view of the horn grills on the front fenders. The headlights are correct, just see if the horn grills are around two fingers width from the apron, or three fingers.

This unique bend in the middle of the front bumper over rider for a plate attachment is another common oddity for a 67.

Thanks for all the good feed back everyone. I didn't what pickup what refer to the "donor" car I don't want to get mixed up what you are saying about my convertible. I needed everyones overall impressions on the engine etc... appreciated. I need to check the inside photo of the bumber and more all around of the car.

I saw someone selling the head lamps rings for 67 that are cracked on Samba for $300 (only the chrome rings.) Then I have guy local who wants $300 for a rear of bumber with clear lights on them. (I can understand why people remove this clear lights.) I would too because I'm not a fan of the look. I see a lot of people selling them for $75. Either way buying this donor car if I can makes more sense then going after every part. Is the interior of the sedan and convertible the same as on 1967s?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: