Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why don’t I have Low beams?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

I’ve been working on the wiring in my bay window bus. And I got headlights to work! But only on one setting. I think it’s high beams (I honestly can’t tell, these old headlights are dim!) I tracked it down to that the white wire on my headlight plug doesn’t get much voltage (like 5mv) that went back all the way to my headlight switch. When pulled all the way out, it provides 12ish volts of power to the headlight dimmer relay and therefore, the headlights. But when pulled out only one stop, the black and white wire for the headlight dimmer only gets a few milivolts. That can’t be correct, right? Is it just a bad switch? Not sure and I don’t have much time to sort it out. I have an inspection coming up. Please help!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

Did you check your fuses? The low beam and high beam have separate fuses.
Does the relay click when you pull the lever to dip beams?

One click on the headlight switch is parking lights only. Also, if this is a North American bus, the headlights will not work if the key isn't in the run position. Disconnect the green wire off the coil if leaving the key on for more than a minute or two so you don't burn out your points.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

Don't forget to rotate your fuses every once in a while.

At least half the time when I notice a headlight out, I just need to reach down and give the fuses a little spin which cleans up the contact a bit and they work again! This is true even after going in and polishing things up.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

with the headlight switch out one click, that's parking lights only. The high beam relay should not be energized enough to click, as it's not powered up.
All the way out is when the beam relay is fully activated & responds to the dimmer lever.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

12 ish volts can be solved by disconnecting and cleaning every electrical junction from the starter, to the fuse box and to all the switches and what they control, cleaning the grounds for them is also time well spent, those lights can be bright with a bit of work.

The trigger wire for high beams should be brown/white, where does that black/white wire come from? It also works by momentarily grounding the relay to change beams when the headlights are on (switch knob pulled out fully).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

Quote:
I’ve been working on the wiring in my bay window bus. And I got headlights to work! But only on one setting. I think it’s high beams (I honestly can’t tell, these old headlights are dim!) I tracked it down to that the white wire on my headlight plug doesn’t get much voltage (like 5mv) that went back all the way to my headlight switch.

The white wire (a bright color) is high beams. the yellow wire (a dimmer color) is low beams. Neither wire should go to the headlight switch - both go (via fuses) to the headlight dimmer relay. The black/white wire from the dimmer relay goes to (and supplies power from) the headlight switch.

Quote:
When pulled all the way out, it provides 12ish volts of power to the headlight dimmer relay and therefore, the headlights. But when pulled out only one stop, the black and white wire for the headlight dimmer only gets a few milivolts. That can’t be correct, right?

It is correct - the black/white wire only has power when the headlight switch is pulled out two stops.

Quote:
Is it just a bad switch?

The headlight switch is most likely OK.

You didn't state the year of your bus, so here's a highlighted '71 schematic to show what's going on:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

I just had this recently on my 73. the low beams(yellow wire at the headlight plug) was getting no voltage, and yet the relay was clicking. High beams worked fine, but when the relay clicked to the low beam setting no lights.
Took the cover off the relay and found a slight pit/burn on the low beam side of the relay points. Burnished it with a regulator points file(fine, fine cutting) and the headlights returned. Obviously, a new relay in in order, but it did diagnose the problem for me. By the way, the relay isn't made to be opened, but by carefully bending the tabs allowed me to get it apart.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Hodence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

Thank you for all the responses guys!

Still a little confused. I might just be a dumba*s, but how do you actually turn on high beams versus low beams? On my light switch/pull-knob one stop is running lights and two stops is headlights on, but by what people said, thats only low beams. How do i turn on high beams? My bus is a 1974 if that makes a difference.

I didn't hear a click when i was last working on the headlight system, but i was also blasting Black Sabbath, so I'll have to be a little more attentive today Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

When the headlight switch is pulled to the second click high/low beam is switched by pulling back on the signal switch, the relay should click and lock in whatever mode you chose, next pull switches back to the last, etc...

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Why don’t I have Low beams? Reply with quote

The same lever you use to activate your directional also is the high\low beam switch… just like a modern car.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: