Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 TDI engine dying
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: 1.9 TDI engine dying Reply with quote

Okay... coming to wits end! I have a 1.9 TDI AHU block with Passat AFN ancillaries in the shop. It appears that runs fine until it's hot outside and then the engine just dies under load (like accelerating to get onto highway). The mechanic has been stumped for 15 weeks now throwing parts at it... any thoughts or ideas? I'm game!

When attempting to grab engine codes via VCDS, when the engine dies the computer loses connection to engine. The battery drops from like 12.4v to 8.1v. Those are just some random items which occur during the dying. Turn it off.. wait a min or so and it starts right back up.
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI engine dying Reply with quote

I don't know how the wiring was done, but if has the Diesel relay setup from the donar car, I would say - replace relay 109.

Bad contacts/solder joints in relay 109 cause this sort of problem.

Even if it doesn't use relay 109, look at the relay providing power to the ECU.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI engine dying Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
I don't know how the wiring was done, but if has the Diesel relay setup from the donar car, I would say - replace relay 109.

Bad contacts/solder joints in relay 109 cause this sort of problem.

Even if it doesn't use relay 109, look at the relay providing power to the ECU.

Yea... the 109 has been brought up several times and I think swapped. However, would that really cause the voltage drop?
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI engine dying Reply with quote

Absolutely yes it will. I had the issue on my 1996 diesel Passat, and also had it on relay 30 on my son's Corrado. It took me 2 days to track it down on the Corrado. I was logging data and watched the voltage drop off until the engine stalled. It was the relay.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: