Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearbox solutions for my 1835
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe_bury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Hi all,
Building a 59 bus which currently has a damage gearbox with it so needs replacing. It’s the standard swing axle. When I bought the bus I got a 1835 engine which a plan on using which has left me in limbo on what is a suitable gearbox/suspension set up. I’m swaying toward a straight axle conversion as I plan on lowering the bus however can anyone suggest what gearbox will be suitable for a straight axle and a 1835 engine? I’m doing the bus on the budget so can’t afford a freeway flyer so need something that’ll work well reliably with good enough gearing.
Thank you
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Joe_bury wrote:
Hi all,
Building a 59 bus which currently has a damage gearbox with it so needs replacing. It’s the standard swing axle. When I bought the bus I got a 1835 engine which a plan on using which has left me in limbo on what is a suitable gearbox/suspension set up. I’m swaying toward a straight axle conversion as I plan on lowering the bus however can anyone suggest what gearbox will be suitable for a straight axle and a 1835 engine? I’m doing the bus on the budget so can’t afford a freeway flyer so need something that’ll work well reliably with good enough gearing.
Thank you

I have an 1800 in my 59 and run a stock big nut. I can cruise at 65-70 all day long and bury the speedo needle if necessary, all of which is fast enough in a bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Pay now or pay later. With FF transaxle we are getting at least 3MPG more per gallon, at today's petrol prices it adds up... Running much cooler engine at 100 KPH for cruising at 3,000 RPM, and now have over 250,000 KM on same engine due to that since last rebuild.

Save the money by not lowing your bus.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Freeway flier transmissions suck. Go with a stock bignut box and you can enjoy your power. If you put a freeway flier in a bus and it will dog out bigtime unless you have a massive engine.

If you are concerned about maximizing your mileage, get a 40hp engine and a small nut transmission and drive at 45mph.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Freeway flier transmissions suck. Go with a stock bignut box and you can enjoy your power. If you put a freeway flier in a bus and it will dog out bigtime unless you have a massive engine.

If you are concerned about maximizing your mileage, get a 40hp engine and a small nut transmission and drive at 45mph.

My son runs a 1776 with dual Kads and a freeway flyer and it’s fine.
I have a 1800 with a single modified 34 PICT and stock big nut and it’s finer.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

I appreciate a lowered bus, and it's not easy to admit that around here at times, but I'm not ashamed at all about it, I live in flat-lands suburbia, with more concrete highways, and traffic, than dirt roads. I've had a lowered bus for over 30 years now. Have also had incorrect gearing for over 20 years, which has since been fixed in 2011.

My vote for the best SA gearbox for a Bus, would be 12V flywheel, so '67 and later, with 4.12 ring and pinion, and with the stock .89 4th gear; an .82 4th gear would work too, and gives a higher top speed in trade for less pull.

I currently use a stock 1600 dual port, with Kads and a Bosch BR8 distributor (019 curve) with 28 degrees of advance (centrifugal only), with a '71 Type 3 SA trans, 4.12 R&P and .82 4th gear, with tire diameter of 25.6". Top speed in the flats is around 85 mph, can climb the steepest of grades in 3rd gear at a top speed of 52 mph, it pulls well in 3rd still, but with a 1600 dp, the big hills can take a running start in 4th, and then downshift to 3rd to get over them.

The most important part would be the 4.12 R&P, and your tire size. All of this will affect your cooling fan speed and engine temps, and you may have different cooling needs with an 1835cc, and with your driving/climate requirements. Disc brakes and a dual circuit master would also be good to have, if you do go this route.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

I'd appreciate some advice on this subject for my Bus please ?

I'm a stock 67 Kombi. He's got a 1600cc AD Code engine, and as far as I know stock gearbox/RGB's big nut.

Only modifications to the Bus are dual MC with Willwood discs up front and the addition of power assisted steering.

Wheels are 5.5Jx15" Empi Style, and running 195/70/15 tyres which have a diameter of 654mm or 25.74"

I don't intend lowering the bus, going straight axle or IRS etc, as I'm pretty sure Mr VW got it pretty much right first time around, so my question is this ? Bus drives super, and will get up to 50mph nicely and I guess would sit there all day ? I'm planning on doing some long distances next year, and want to know my options to be able to cruise along at a slightly higher cruising speed ?? 55-60mph for instance ?

I would appreciate your Thoughts/Advice
Cheers
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
I'd appreciate some advice on this subject for my Bus please ?

I'm a stock 67 Kombi. He's got a 1600cc AD Code engine, and as far as I know stock gearbox/RGB's big nut.

Only modifications to the Bus are dual MC with Willwood discs up front and the addition of power assisted steering.

Wheels are 5.5Jx15" Empi Style, and running 195/70/15 tyres which have a diameter of 654mm or 25.74"

I don't intend lowering the bus, going straight axle or IRS etc, as I'm pretty sure Mr VW got it pretty much right first time around, so my question is this ? Bus drives super, and will get up to 50mph nicely and I guess would sit there all day ? I'm planning on doing some long distances next year, and want to know my options to be able to cruise along at a slightly higher cruising speed ?? 55-60mph for instance ?

I would appreciate your Thoughts/Advice
Cheers

A stock bignut transmission should be able to cruise at 65mph all day long unless there is a hill or a serious headwind. I have driven that setup over 100,000 miles with those results.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Without reading all the input below your post. I've driven lowered straight axle buses since 2nd bus in 2003. Once I put in a Bus Boys IRS conversion and it was nice. If you like a low bus, lower it. My coworker always goes back to this saying... "It doesn't matter how much you prepare for your party. Someone isn't going to be happy. If you try to make them happy, someone else isn't going to be happy."

In this case there is only 1 person that needs to be happy and it is the owner of the bus... YOU! "Do watcha like!"

Oh and you can run any stock beetle or type 3 transaxle for your SA conversion. I ran an 1900 on a bug axle and I'm running a 2100 on a bug axle. If you are going to beat it up, then invest in something more robust. Everything you do will have a pro and con, but the one that is most important is COST.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Thank you Dubstyle, yes I hear you, and unfortunately COST is where I am at the moment. 😩 I’m looking for a cheaper option than maybe IRS/Straight axle. I’m barely recovered from the $$$ I’ve put into my Bug 😃😃

Hi Lind, I’m wondering if perhaps it’s me then ? The Bus is new to me, I’ve recently come over to the ‘Darkside’ from Beetle’s. I drove about 60 miles again in the Bus yesterday, to a VW meet, Bus is really strong, and he just seemed to be happy on or around the 50mph mark ? Perhaps I’m the one being ultra careful ? I’m thinking of pushing him a bit more and see what it’s like at 60 say ? It’s just it felt like 50 was his top/comfortable speed if that make sense ?
Cheers both
Dave
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
I drove about 60 miles again in the Bus yesterday, to a VW meet, Bus is really strong, and he just seemed to be happy on or around the 50mph mark ?

Buy or borrow a tach and wire it in temporary, then do a fifteen minute drive to see where you hit 3,000 RPM in all four forward gears and 1,500 RPM in 2-4th.

We got a transaxle the topped out at 35MPH @ 3,000 RPM in fourth. Probably why the engine that came in the bus had a rod thrown thru the top of the engine case while doing the then national speed limit of 55 MPH, while the engine would have been doing 5,000 RPM.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

That sounds like a plan. I’m going to try that next 👍 😃
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Murt wrote:

Along with a tach download a GPS speedometer app and see what your actual speed is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Murt wrote:

Along with a tach download a GPS speedometer app and see what your actual speed is.

I'm going to add, make sure you actually have full throttle. Wedge a board, broom stick, whatever so the gas pedel is all the way down. go to the back of the bus and see if the carb is really opened up all the way.

You should have no problem doing 65, mine would climb steep bridges accelerating 65-70
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Get a stock Bug IRS, then a kit to install it. Lowering/raising is very easy once you understand it. If you find one that is in good condition-do nothing to it. Don't spend $ on upgrading the trans, just enjoy it, they are plenty strong. Mine does well w 200HP, I just don't drop the clutch.

You can add (down the road) rear disc's to compliment your fronts. I have a bigger motor, but if you're not going off-road, this is your answer once you flip your spindles. Try some oil Koni's too from Bustoration. Some years(4) back I bought an IRS trans for $100, there are several KITS you can buy to adapt the IRS + you get a good ride. btw, there is no such thing as a low budget bus project, and that will be your first lesson. I still don't understand what a freeway flyer is after many decades. Question
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Get a stock Bug IRS, then a kit to install it. Lowering/raising is very easy once you understand it. If you find one that is in good condition-do nothing to it. Don't spend $ on upgrading the trans, just enjoy it, they are plenty strong. Mine does well w 200HP, I just don't drop the clutch.

You can add (down the road) rear disc's to compliment your fronts. I have a bigger motor, but if you're not going off-road, this is your answer once you flip your spindles. Try some oil Koni's too from Bustoration. Some years(4) back I bought an IRS trans for $100, there are several KITS you can buy to adapt the IRS + you get a good ride. btw, there is no such thing as a low budget bus project, and that will be your first lesson. I still don't understand what a freeway flyer is after many decades. Question

you should really read the threads before answering, you seem to do this a lot, where you answer the first guy from over a year ago, and in-between somebody asked a completely different question, that your answer has nothing to do with Laughing
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

Sorry man, don't look at the dates.Had no idea someone was keeping track, other than my wife
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox solutions for my 1835 Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Sorry man, don't look at the dates.Had no idea someone was keeping track, other than my wife

Don't feel bad, I didn't see the date either. LoL

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: