Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocky Jennings Motor value
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

I am currently running a 2.3 Rocky Jennings in my Syncro with a GW sport muffler, and I need more power for my 4000+ pound rig. The engine was built 25k miles ago and the previous owner spent a tad over 10k for the engine build. What would be a good price for this engine so I can put it towards a Subaru swap. I am in CA and it passed smog.

Also, is there anyone in the Orange County area that has a subrau swap that I can have a ride in? I would like to feel the difference between the two.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

It would be good to know hot oil idle pressure, hot oil pressure at 4000rpm, compression test, and leakdown test results. Basically an engine physical.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

It's all in the foot of the owner...Rocky Jennings does good honest work so no disparaging remarks of the product coming out of his shop..
You say you have a 4000 lb. + rig and this isn't giving you enough power. I've got a 4999 lb. rig and happy with my 2.1.
So I'll offer you core value for it.

Why? It is a used engine.
Logically you could pro-rate it backwards from the expected lifetime of the engine-say 120,000 miles and figure out a number based on what RJ charges for a 2.3.

I'm going to be a real devil's advocate here,(or an asshole!) and say I want to see a compression report along with an oil spectroanalysis report from old oil not from oil replaced last week. Even then how do I know the age of the oil? Oil pressure at 2800 rpm too.

I have no problem seeing you ask 75% of the cost of RJ's 2.3's, but I'd want to see the reports on the engine. Even if the buyer paid for the reports or you split the cost you need to show proof it is a good engine and not something that was overheated, ran low on oil or you lugged it going uphill.

You do have an engine worth a couple of bucks based on RJ's reputation. After it left his shop you have to prove to me it is still a good engine.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
It's all in the foot of the owner....

^^This^^

I spent most of my life driving little 4-cylinder cars that might have seemed underpowered to the casual observer. Gear selection and proper use of the right foot made all the difference in performance.

I posted it before in my review of the dashcam I installed, but here is the 911 I was chasing up the mountain just before I blew past him:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We were around 6500' at the time. I did blow by him as he pulled over to let me around - a polite Porsche driver who could see I was willing and able to drive the mountain road faster than he cared to:

I see so many drivers fail to take advantage of the power that lives at higher revs -- up-shifting way to soon and too often -- then commenting on the lack of power.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Well that's good know of his reputation. Then what's next is to do the diagnosis of the engine. In my care I have changed the oil twice, once when I received it and at 2900 miles after, using VR1. The engine is bone dry with zero leaks. At operating temp, it idles around 20 psi and 40 psi at 4k. The highest temp I have driven it was 230, but sits between 180 and 220 majority of the time.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/489897219

@Ahwahnee I have a few aircooled cars, 65 911/912 and 65 21 window, so I know how they can feel under powered. I just don't like getting passed going up hills. I have a good friend that has a 912 with a STI motor, so maybe I am on that kick, https://youtu.be/6Fj6vTpE930

Last edited by pemz0r on Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
I just don't like getting passed going up hills.

This is just my idle curiosity, but why?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

THIS X's a hundred..
even my 1.8T likes/prefers to be in 3rd motoring up hills/passes..
it's alot easier on the components to keep the RPMs up vs try to force the power into the drivetrain at lower rpms in 4th gear..
with the turbo I have it makes extra (unneeded) heat..
Ahwahnee wrote:

I see so many drivers fail to take advantage of the power that lives at higher revs -- up-shifting way to soon and too often -- then commenting on the lack of power.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

@?Waldo? I guess it's just a psyche thing. I want to be leading the pack and not behind it.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
... want to be leading the pack and not behind it.

I think you picked the wrong vehicle for that.

My 'other' car is 50+ years old but when introduced was the fastest production car in the world. Lots of quicker cars these days but still it is the one I go with when I want to be fast. The Westy is for (a different sort of) fun.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

I regularly service a 2.3L RJE engine in a Weekender with an auto, and have recently driven my friend's new 2.5L S@#$%& engine in a Westfalia with an auto, and really didn't notice much of a difference in seat of the pants power output. The former cost $8k and the latter $17k. That doesn't seem too value laden an investment.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
pemz0r wrote:
... want to be leading the pack and not behind it.

I think you picked the wrong vehicle for that.

My 'other' car is 50+ years old but when introduced was the fastest production car in the world. Lots of quicker cars these days but still it is the one I go with when I want to be fast. The Westy is for (a different sort of) fun.

haha, maybe.. I purchased it for my Dad, because his Westy burned down, but when he drove it, he was like it's too loud and he didn't like how he had to climb into it, so I just decided to keep it. Don't get me wrong I love the car, and I have modified it to my liking plus I get plenty of thumbs up, it just needs a bit more power.

Whats your 50+ year old car?

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I regularly service a 2.3L RJE engine in a Weekender with an auto, and have recently driven my friend's new 2.5L S@#$%& engine in a Westfalia with an auto, and really didn't notice much of a difference in seat of the pants power output. The former cost $8k and the latter $17k. That doesn't seem too value laden an investment.

If that's the case, maybe my engine isn't healthy. I will do a leak down test and compression test and see. I know when I run my AC it struggles more.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
pemz0r wrote:

Sadly, I've noticed that many in my generation have successfully taught our Children and Grandchildren that if they are not #1 ..... they are a loser.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

All that psyche and you are just in last place to the people who are so far ahead of you, you can’t see them. It’s the same zero sum thinking prevalent in neocons today, if some receives/gets/does better at something, it detracts from me. Falsehood.

Sad trombone …..
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

What do his engines go for now?

10k! Didn't realize the cost was that much.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

zimflux wrote:
What do his engines go for now?

10k! Didn't realize the cost was that much.

My understanding is that he has quit doing complete engines. I read it somewhere here on the Samba not too long ago.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

So my engine is now worth double????!!!???
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
...I want to be leading the pack and not behind it.

Well if you just refuse to pull over on a twisty mountain road you will soon be 'leading' a pack.

And you can be sure they will 'wave' if they are finally able to pass you.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
pemz0r wrote:

Sadly, I've noticed that many in my generation have successfully taught our Children and Grandchildren that if they are not #1 ..... they are a loser.

Dave

In Olympic footraces if you are not #1 you are last. In life my footsteps always seem to be going off the beaten path anyway so I alway wind up first to where I'm going cause nobody else is going that way.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
So my engine is now worth double????!!!???

I just checked his website and saw no mention of rebuilding a complete engine.
He has a picture of a 2.3 saying rebuild, but all his links go to selling parts or tools.

So it's possibly more then a core charge now! Very Happy

First Tencentlife stops...now RJ....who's left to fill the void?

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocky Jennings Motor value Reply with quote

parts availability and PITA customers...
less competent mechanics each and every day..

leaves us with the less than competent ones.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: