Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail Reply with quote

Not a daily driver, front end is so stiff. I am thinking softer front shocks. Open for any suggestion's.

Thanks in advance.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail Reply with quote

What happens if you remove the shocks and take it for a spin? better? same?

Tell/show us what you have for a front end. Sand rail is a bit vague. If it is a stock Beetle front end with full spring packs you may have to take out some of the spring.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail Reply with quote

Chenoweth with ball joint front. Shocks do not have any name on them. I will remove them and take it for a drive. Great idea.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail Reply with quote

In all likelihood it's not the shocks but that will prove it. The front end of my sand rail only weighs about 250 pounds so with the stock springing the suspension rarely flexes.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail Reply with quote

How are you using the rail?

That is the most important issue here.

If you're going to car shows, then who cares. It's not about how it drives, but how it looks.

If you're putting around town, then it might be rough riding with stock leaves.

If you're doing slaloms, then stiff is GOOD.

If you're using it for forest or desert trails then the stock leaves are good. More wheel travel is helpful there.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
In all likelihood it's not the shocks but that will prove it. The front end of my sand rail only weighs about 250 pounds so with the stock springing the suspension rarely flexes.

I had a set of Fox shox on my sand rail (link pin), valved for my application- video shows lots of up/down action rolling through the dunes.
For kicks and giggles, pulled those off and installed set of off the shelf kyb- virtually no deflection rolling through the dunes,
Next, I’m Gonna take the shocks off and see what I see.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Softer front shocks for street driven sand rail Reply with quote

It has been a while since i was out in the garage. Problem solved, Lak of upward travel on the shocks. Longer shocks solved that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: