Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

This is my first rodeo with drum brakes. I replaced the pads and I’m reusing the springs, just until I get new parts in. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how the self adjuster works but the spring keeps popping off every time I put it on. It seems way too tight.

I’ve uploaded a video so you can see. I would greatly appreciate anyone’s help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear break self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

sorry folks. here’s the video.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear break self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

You need some different brake shoes. The adjuster lever that the spring goes to is too floppy. It is just not correct. Those shoes must have come from a really low bidder in an offshore country.

Lately I have been using the World Brake Resource brand from World Pac. I have also used the Meyle brand recently. Neither would have been my first choice years ago, but they work. I see that Van Cafe is selling the WBR brand now. I think that it is an in house brand for World Pac.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear break self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

I had a similar issue - got my shoes from NAPA - guy swore they were good. It was driving me crazy. I think it was my first "project" on the van - fixing the brakes.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I compared new to old,and saw that the rivet for the old holds that piece way tighter - so it doesn't flop around. A real pain - taking apart and putting together 3 times until I figured it out.

I ended up getting shoes from GoWesty - I can't recall who they source from - but I figured they would not sell junk - and it works.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear break self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

Yeah, that self-adjuster lever is wanked.

Toss those shoes and buy something new of better quality.

It's possible the wonky lever(s) could be repaired by tightening or replacing the faulty pressed pin/rivet that attaches it to the shoe; but it may not be worth your time if the shoes were cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear break self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

the self adjuster lever will be very floppy, but that is too much.

here is a good photo of what things should look like

MOD EDIT : Right Side shown

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

Welp. That's a shame. Burned through my whole sunday trying to get these jerks to work correctly.

I got these guys from Burley. Brand is TiBAO. SKU 251 698 531LX. https://burleymotorsports.net/product/rear-brake-shoe-set/

Guess I'll throw my old ones back on. They weren't too bad. I was just rebuilding everything else in the rear end and thought it'd be good to get ahead of.

Just ordered the WBR one from van cafe. https://www.vancafe.com/251609537-p/251609537.htm

Thanks everyone!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

Geez, the bends in the adjusting knife lever are not even close to correct.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

I'd contact Burley regarding the problem and include the video link; being a reputable Vanagon parts supplier, I would anticipate they'd find a way to rectify the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

Those aren't Burley, they are Gnarley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

I lost a lot of time also and bloodied all my knuckles last time I jacked w my rear drums. Last time, though, because I ordered up some burley rear discs shortly after!!!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

@Greebly - I think you are right that they are not Burley made, but Burley sold them - and they should be told that their supplier is not making the parts correctly, so they don't keep selling them.

It is a shitty situation for home mechanics - you take the whole rear wheel assembly apart, tear it all down, rebuild it - and it doesn't work right. For someone like myself (very much an amateur) I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. I reviewed a ton of posts here, reread Bentley numerous times, took it apart, put it together - still didn't work. Then I compared my replacement to the new and realized I had bad replacement parts.

I did learn not to get parts from NAPA anymore.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake self adjustor spring keeps popping off Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
@Greebly - I think you are right that they are not Burley made, but Burley sold them - and they should be told that their supplier is not making the parts correctly, so they don't keep selling them.

It is a shitty situation for home mechanics - you take the whole rear wheel assembly apart, tear it all down, rebuild it - and it doesn't work right. For someone like myself (very much an amateur) I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. I reviewed a ton of posts here, reread Bentley numerous times, took it apart, put it together - still didn't work. Then I compared my replacement to the new and realized I had bad replacement parts.

I did learn not to get parts from NAPA anymore.

I agree. Burley should be coming on this thread and refunding his money and GIVING him a good set at no charge. I thought until now they had a good reputation. Vangon owners are an intimate crowd, good news travels fast, bad news even faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: