Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right rear panel mystery covering
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

Is the mystery vinyl(??) sort of rough, vaguely yellowish material used in the right rear (behind the furthest back PAX window, just in front of the tailgate) still available? The PO, for some strange reason, carved a chunk out of the vinyl(??) covering.

My patience with thing is wearing out. Either I remake the panel (probably Masonite or something vaguely similar), replace the vinyl. If it exists. Does it?

For that matter, what is the OEM treatment for that panel?
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

What year and configuration is your van? Can you post a picture of the damaged panel?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

'90 Westy. Photo coming ASAP
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

I'd forgotten much of this Bud Tuggly design the boys at Westfalia used. Driver side behind the stove fridge cabinet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The panel in question
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tilt your screen approx. 90 deg. clockwise to resolve minor image imperfection... ;p
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

You don't show a picture of your hole but often a well placed speaker or heater register grill will easily hide bothersome things.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

Oops. The white Fahrvergnuegen sticker pretty much matches the part of the "wallpaper" the PO cut away. Zero idea about why he did it. The mystery board backing is intact, it's just the covering that was messed with.

The rest of the stickers demonstrate impulse buying at its worst - "ooooooh, look! A VW van sticker! BUY IT!!!!". The itty-bitty one in the lower right says "Harper's Ferry or Bust". How sad is that? At least the Fahrvergnuegen sticker has some usefulness, and has provenance - bought at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, after someone slipped us a pair of VIP passes. Woohoo!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
The itty-bitty one in the lower right says "Harper's Ferry or Bust". How sad is that?

As the spiritual (if not exactly geographical) halfway point of the Appalachian Trail, it really is a destination for lots of hikers. It's also across the Potomac from the C&O Canal Towpath and the town has its own historical significance, but London/Paris/New York it ain't.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

No question about any of that. We talked with the folks at the "outdoor outfitter" regarding coping with bears as we head towards Yellowstone & Grand Tetons. Good people!

Harper's Ferry is worth seeing. My point was only about the sticker, and impulse sticker buying. The sticker's kinda sad.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

There are 2 of the late vinyl patterns currently available. What is described as grey-grey and grey-green. The one used in US Westies could be describe griege-griege, and yes that is a color.
I am currently in the process of replacing all of my vinyl with a combination of grey-grey vinyl and LLE fabric as used on the LLE Westies in Germany. All of my wear surfaces are Recaro light Grey leather.
I am being very careful in removing the current vinyl and believe most of it can be reused with care and a bit of skill.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

I've got a hole approximately in that area that is where I [am supposed to] add rear wiper fluid. There is a cover on one of my westies, and a hole on the other with the cap of the tank right there.. no cover Sad
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I've got a hole approximately in that area that is where I [am supposed to] add rear wiper fluid. There is a cover on one of my westies, and a hole on the other with the cap of the tank right there.. no cover Sad

The washer tank filler is in a gray-ish covered panel below the on in question.

But... I wonder of the PO had the clever idea to move the filler and... ran out of gas on the idea? Was overwhelmed by reality (good luck with moving the filler)?

Got no ideas on that.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear panel mystery covering Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
There are 2 of the late vinyl patterns currently available. What is described as grey-grey and grey-green. The one used in US Westies could be describe griege-griege, and yes that is a color.
I am currently in the process of replacing all of my vinyl with a combination of grey-grey vinyl and LLE fabric as used on the LLE Westies in Germany. All of my wear surfaces are Recaro light Grey leather.
I am being very careful in removing the current vinyl and believe most of it can be reused with care and a bit of skill.

The gray stuff is mostly intact. Buslab sells it, or something supposed to be close to it.

"LLE Westies"? Unfortunately, the only Westy I've seen in Germany is was modded to death. There is, or was, a '92(!!) Last Edition tintop near my in-laws, but I didn't see it during the most recent (pre-COVID) visits.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: