Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1952
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

That is a well written tribute to your father. He sounds like a great guy. One I would have been friends with! Hope you enjoyed him while he was around to share all of that knowledge! I try like a mad man to spend time with my old man. But this COVID crap has placed a large wall around him and his wife. Some day soon, I hope to be able to get back over to give him a hug!

Sorry for the tangent. Great article! Got my brain thinking.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

thanks for your kinds words guys.

dad was great. solid parent, great friend and my business partner for a bit more than 10 years. we shared a lot of interests and activities, traveled the country together and hung out in our free time. the more you care about someone the harder it is when they are gone Sad

the pandemic kept my dad inside the whole last year of his life. dude was bored out of his mind. strange times. hopefully you get to see your old man soon Jimbo!
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

found a couple more pics of the bug. this has to have been 1988. the ghia got sold around that time and a fence was built between the driveway and the yard in (i think) 89. it looks like Smiley hasnt aged much in the last 35 years.

i have fond memories of that ghia. the floor was rotted out in the back. as kids our big and very important job was to keep an eye on the road below us and make sure it didnt disappear. im not sure what we were supposed to do if the road actually did disappear...........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

i made Smiley a hat because today is my bugs born on date. happy 69th birthday!

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

here are some of the doodads that i plan to use on the car.

horn speaker

dimmer switch

accessory outlet

starter button

turn signal switch

light switch

wiper switch

ignition switch

dome/dash light switch

semaphores

door switches for the dome light

distributor

license plate light

tail/brake lights

6x fuse box (this car also has a 4x)

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone, very nice collection of doodads. Were they parts that your dad had collected or stuff you have sourced? I am on the hunt for several of these items, could you post up some pics that show the part #'s on the various light switches? If so it would be a great resource for me.
Keep up the good work. After my father passed away the 62 ragtop that we shared time working on went from a car to an heirloom. It is so satisfying to drive it because of the memories that it triggers.

Last edited by esde on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Simone, very Nic e collection of doodads. Were they parts that your dad had collected or stuff you have sourced? I am on the hunt for several of these items, could you post up some pics that show the part #'s on the various light switches? If so it would be a great resource for me.
Keep up the good work. After my father passed away the 62 ragtop that we shared time working on went from a car to an heirloom. It is so satisfying to drive it because of the memories that it triggers.

these are parts that were sitting around.

heirloom is a great way to describe how i feel about the car.

i was given a digital spare parts gatalog for the zwitter. if you pm me an email address i can send it your way. that should get you part numbers for almost everything.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

i opened up one of the brake drums. seems important to be able to make the car stop before i make it go.

that nut was really stuck on there. spent the better part of a week soaking it with penetrating oil.

hmmm...... i dont think thats going to do the trick. im missing everything and if im not mistaken the backing plate is on upside down. i guess ill have to dive into the parts and see what i can turn up.

edit: i am mistaken. it is aligned correctly. it is not the original backing plate. the wheel cylinder attachemnt on the original would have 4 bolt holes instead of 2.

after a while in the attic i found some parts

lots of wheel cylinders. i have ones with 1, 2 and 4 bolt holes. 17, 19 and 22s.

a selection of master cylinders

springs and whatits apleanty

a variety of fluid canisters and some NOS parts.

then i got hungry, so thats where i stopped. there is more stuff to pull down and sort through.

Last edited by Jimone on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

here is my chauffeur Doctor Falkor McFluffins

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

opened up a front drum. same result - no brakes. this one had a grease cap. everything was much easier to disassemble. im pretty close to having a full inventory of my brake system. ill start tracking down the parts i need.

wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

I found out about “Quick-Glow from Jay Leno’s Garage and never looked back!
Link to Jay’s review, https://youtu.be/v7TnNEBy3tI

I use brass wool for most delicate parts, it’s softer and it don’t rust like steel wool! I even use it on glass!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Have you ordered a birth certificate & data sheet? Great resource. Here’s the link.
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_global/help/certificate-datasheets.html

Here’s tons more. 56 pages!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

Sample pictures here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

IIIMHFO ....that birth certificates are way over rated, and that they take forever to receive.not to mention pricey
I can pretty much discover thru the archives were and when all my ovals were manufactured and shipped, that the engine numbers are very close to cars vin number..and because of the zero rust, they have always been west coast cars..btw I ordered my BC back in Oct, and am still waiting...$98. For what?
But like I said only my humble opinion.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

wbbbbbbb wrote:
I found out about “Quick-Glow from Jay Leno’s Garage and never looked back!

I use brass wool for most delicate parts, it’s softer and it don’t rust like steel wool! I even use it on glass!

thanks for the tips. ill check those products out!

wbbbbbbb wrote:
Have you ordered a birth certificate & data sheet? Great resource.

i have one that my dad ordered dated february 12 of 1985. its on tissue thin paper. specifies the original engine number, which i understand they dont do any more. #503416

it lists the production date as nov 22 1952, the delivery date as nov 25 1952 and the destination as VW Distributing Co., New York, U.S.A.

if i undersand that correctly that would make this a Max Hoffman car. one of ~100 1952 zwitters imported by hoffman.

no color specified.
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

You are so lucky to have that historical information. I’m an 64 year old army brat and lived 9 years in Germany! We could not ship any of our German spec VW back to the states! So no family VW’s. I collected vases and emblems, but they went missing when shipping our family goods home? Stolen by military customs in 1971! Mad
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
IIIMHFO ....that birth certificates are way over rated, and that they take forever to receive.not to mention pricey
I can pretty much discover thru the archives were and when all my ovals were manufactured and shipped, that the engine numbers are very close to cars vin number..and because of the zero rust, they have always been west coast cars..btw I ordered my BC back in Oct, and am still waiting...$98. For what?
I agree.
When they quit giving out the engine numbers, there was little reason to get a birth certificate. Mostly all it will tell you is the region of the country that it was shipped to. In most cases, we know more about our own cars than VW can tell us, and the factory is not always correct in what they put on the birth certificates since they don't know what years or models the M-codes meant what.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
aa390392 wrote:
I agree.
When they quit giving out the engine numbers, there was little reason to get a birth certificate. Mostly all it will tell you is the region of the country that it was shipped to. In most cases, we know more about our own cars than VW can tell us, and the factory is not always correct in what they put on the birth certificates since they don't know what years or models the M-codes meant what.

VW stopped giving out the engine numbers to prevent people from re-stamping engine numbers, thus allowing people to commit fraud by claiming that the engine was original. I personally think this was a good decision.

They will confirm that your engine number is original or not if you provide it so that is still valuable to be able to confirm whether your engine is original to the car.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Lind wrote:
aa390392 wrote:
I agree.
VW stopped giving out the engine numbers to prevent people from re-stamping engine numbers, thus allowing people to commit fraud by claiming that the engine was original. I personally think this was a good decision.

They will confirm that your engine number is original or not if you provide it so that is still valuable to be able to confirm whether your engine is original to the car.
I know why they did it. It was fairly unnecessary though. Engine cases have their casting dates, which can easily show whether and engine is from the right time period. It would be pretty difficult to find an unstamped case from the right month, and then stamp it with numbers that are the right font, etc. On top of all that, having the original engine doesn't hugely effect the value of a VW at this point. (unlike Porsches, where it can be a 30% increase in value).

Of course people are already faking VIN numbers on buses and getting birth certificates to have the provenance so they can sell their frauds at auction. Having the right engine number would have made no difference in value.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755673
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

wbbbbbbb wrote:
You are so lucky to have that historical information. I’m an 64 year old army brat and lived 9 years in Germany! We could not ship any of our German spec VW back to the states! So no family VW’s. I collected vases and emblems, but they went missing when shipping our family goods home? Stolen by military customs in 1971! Mad

i was pretty stoked when i found the birth certificate. its fun knowing the engine number. i doubt ill ever find that case but who knows. might show up next week

shame about the stuff. would have been some cool mementos. germany is a really interesting country. i had the opportunity to visit for a bit ~15 years ago.

regarding birth certificates in general -

its cool to know that my bug was a hoffman car, but it doesnt help at all with the practicalities of getting the car running. i already knew that the engine block wasnt original. im not planning to paint the car at this time so the original color wouldnt really matter even if they had specified it.

i am collecting a history packet to go with the car. no history packet is complete without a birth certificate. its a must have for the late stage finishing touches. everything for this car is $150 and up so im not really feeling sticker shocked by the $100 price of the fancy piece of paper. im glad i found one for this vehicle. i hope to find one for my truck. ill likely order a new one for each vehicle at some later date.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
Lind wrote:
aa390392 wrote:
I agree.

I know why they did it. It was fairly unnecessary though. Engine cases have their casting dates, which can easily show whether and engine is from the right time period. It would be pretty difficult to find an unstamped case from the right month, and then stamp it with numbers that are the right font, etc. On top of all that, having the original engine doesn't hugely effect the value of a VW at this point. (unlike Porsches, where it can be a 30% increase in value).

Of course people are already faking VIN numbers on buses and getting birth certificates to have the provenance so they can sell their frauds at auction. Having the right engine number would have made no difference in value.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755673

While the casting dates can be a clue, it doesn't prevent someone from finding a case that is in the right range and attempting a restamp. There are ways to do it, which I won't get into, because it is always illegal to do so, but it is possible and does happen.

Also, not everyone knows about the casting dates, so a birth certificate that matches the engine in the car would convince a less knowledgeable buyer that they are buying a numbers matching car. All of this would be fraud so VW made the wise choice IMO to stop handing out the numbers.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: