Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

Hi!

I want to insure my 1910 Vanagon that has a Subaru 2.2l conversion. I use Nationwide and was told that since the Van was "modified", it would be around $14000. Yikes!!!!

What companies do folks use?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What inaurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

This is one my favourite clouds to yell at. Go back and add CALIFORNIA to your title so that you dont have to read all the repsonses from out of state that will have no relevance to your question.

Dont add CA - thats Canada. Great place, but also only relevant in womens soccer.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What inaurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

Farm Bureau. Liability only. $18/mo.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

What I pay would be pretty much irrelevant as rates depend on coverage, age, driving record, zip code, other lines with the same carrier plus lots of stuff I've forgotten.

I will say I have mine insured with a standard policy from Allstate and when I had a significant claim I was treated very fairly.

That said, for almost any carrier you can find someone who likes them and someone with a sad (or angry) tale to tell.

The lone exception is Hagerty whom I have several other cars with -- I have never heard a word said against them. But the caveat there is whether they will accept your vehicle and whether you can live with what uses they proscribe.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
The lone exception is Hagerty

And USAA.

I use Allstate RV coverage for my van. Liability. $17/month. Been considering upping the coverage lately.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

We have an agreed value of 26,500 with Safeco for (IIRC) ~560 pa. One of the few insurances I'm comfortable with paying!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

I'd say that's expensive for a 111 YO van. I don't know why it matters what it is powered by or that I would mention it. They are not insuring the drivetrain, they are insuring your liability in case of an accident. Seems funny to me.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I'd say that's expensive for a 111 YO van. I don't know why it matters what it is powered by or that I would mention it. They are not insuring the drivetrain, they are insuring your liability in case of an accident. Seems funny to me.

Stacy

Not just liability, but full compensation without argument in case of it being written off. Just liability would be quite a bit cheaper, and so would the usual 'fully comprehensive' which would only give market value - and that would take loads of hassle to agree on a sensible figure should the worst happen.
Bing!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

This is the point that you need to sit face to face with an insurance agent and have an “agreed” value assessed.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
16CVs wrote:
I'd say that's expensive for a 111 YO van...

Not just liability, but full compensation...

I think Stacy was too subtle for you as he appears to be addressing the OP's post to wit:

It is a 1910 Vanagon

The insurance quote was $14,000
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

I’m confused. Are you saying they want to charge you 14000 per year for insurance or charge you as if your van is worth 14k? The latter is a good deal the former is freaking ludicrous IMO.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
fxr wrote:
16CVs wrote:
I'd say that's expensive for a 111 YO van...

Not just liability, but full compensation...

I think Stacy was too subtle for you as he appears to be addressing the OP's post to wit:

It is a 1910 Vanagon

The insurance quote was $14,000

:facepalm: Yup, missed that! Sorry Stacy!
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

Just insured my 82 Westy TDI conversion with Hagerty for about $250 per year for $20000 agreed value. Switched my 57 oval window at the same time for about the same amount but with $25000 agreed value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What inaurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Farm Bureau. Liability only. $18/mo.

I've been with Farm Bureau over 50 years ....... home and all my fleet!

Liability only on my Vanagons! .......... been that way for years and years!

I hit a deer last November at 70 MPH (on cruise) with my 2011 Tiguan... $5400 damage to the right front (airbags did not deploy), $1000 deduct .......... Looks as good as new!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

Just switched from Progressive (stated value) after about 8 years to Auto-Owners (agreed value). Looked into Hagerty, but they had usage limitations, which weren't going to work for my camper van.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
We have an agreed value of 26,500 with Safeco for (IIRC) ~560 pa. One of the few insurances I'm comfortable with paying!

Also with Safeco at $30k for the 87 Syncro tintop. They ask that you prove it lives in a garage and wanted a bunch of pictures to prove it as well to show the van condition. For full coverage in California it is about $1500.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

gtinseth wrote:
fxr wrote:

Also with Safeco at $30k for the 87 Syncro tintop. They ask that you prove it lives in a garage and wanted a bunch of pictures to prove it as well to show the van condition. For full coverage in California it is about $1500.

Man, I’m in the wrong business.

Insuring amaximun 30k liability for 1500 cash with average age payout of 17 years works out to a profit margin of 39%
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Man, I’m in the wrong business.

Insuring amaximun 30k liability for 1500 cash with average age payout of 17 years works out to a profit margin of 39%

Ya, but insurance is a total scam, legal, yes, but it is a scam, and everybody knows it. That is why there is always at least one party who is upset with the 'system' when a collision or other 'accident' happens.

I have full coverage insurance on new (to me) vehicles if I have to per my loan agreements, otherwise I have the lowest insurance allowed by Law. I drive responsibly all the time, in whatever vehicle I am in, and most likely case of getting in accidents would be due to other drivers messing up. I have multiple cameras to back me up.

For those considering a career in Insurance, how would you sleep?
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Ya, but insurance is a total scam, legal, yes, but it is a scam, and everybody knows it. That is why there is always at least one party who is upset with the 'system' when a collision or other 'accident' happens.

Scam, hardly. Talk to those who homes were lost due to forest fires, those who need medical treatment and pay health insurance. Ask them if they felt "scammed" by insurance. Same applies to auto insurance.
If you dont want to auto pay insurance, some states allow self insuring, getting a surety bond, etc. I dont see anyone going that route.

Back to the subject - go with any company that will insure for "agreed value", this way there is no questions what you will get for your vanagon. Many companies offer this, Safeco and hagerty (non westies) among others.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What insurance companies are folks using for their Vanagons? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
...insurance is a total scam...

Health insurance? Perhaps you've never known someone financially destroyed by an illness.

Homeowners? Ever seen the results of a hurricane. tornado or wildfire?

Life? Income protection for a young family who loses their breadwinner.

I'll grant you that dental coverage is really pre-paid dental and extended warranties on products makes little sense -- but not all insurance is a scam.

As for collision coverage on vehicles - counting on your savings or the other guy's insurance is a risk some will take and some want to lay off.

For a major loss there's always the GoFundMe route.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: