Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny find in the engine block
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Die Reise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

So I pulled the engine for a rebuild after seeing oil drip out the tail pipe and smoking something awful when running as well as low compression on cylinders 1&2. I’m thinking valve seats and bad piston rings as the cylinders were pretty scored up. After I remove all of the engine tin, oil cooler, etc….I bore scoped through the oil sump and found two legos (I’m guessing from the previous owners kid(s)). Anyone else have a WTH story like that? I’m sure it didn’t help the engine and likely contributed it to fail, but it does have 130k on the odometer.
Die Reise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

Nice. During a coolant flush I once found a blue shop towel, as in a heavy duty paper towel, that had gotten caught in one of the side tanks of the radiator. It had been there at least a year and I was surprised it hadn’t dissolved at all.

Unfortunately the person who left it in there was most certainly me, I just can’t recall for the life of me why I would have stuck a rag in a coolant hose somewhere.

-Rob
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

Not harmful at all compared to the mice nest many of us have found on our air cooled engines. I think my record for spark plugs found laying under the tin is six. The most damage I have found from a minor part left behind was a socket I found in the intake port on my POS 1.9L. It blocked air flow so that one cylinder ran rich and as a result the O2 sensor caused all the other cylinders to run lean. The POS had zero compression when I bought it, but gave me 75K miles of service before it died of unrelated causes. If you figure three quarts of oil every 1000 miles, then that comes out to 225 quarts of oil. Surprisingly it never smoked except when I accidentally over filled the crankcase.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

Link

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

Die Reise wrote:

That’s a standard GEX engine part
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

My 540i/6 started running a bit odd. It would cruise highway speeds at 2000rpm, but the instant I got on the throttle it would stumble. I figured I had a fuel issue so I went to replace the filter and pump.

That is a stick. The disintegrating bark had completely clogged the pump prefilter and I'm sure the filter wasn't in great shape either. Stick removed, tank cleaned-ish, pump and filter replaced, and the v8 was back to smooth running.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

[quote="Abscate"]
Die Reise wrote:

Nice shootin', Tex!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

You could be lucky if it tries to replicate an engine for you.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

be glad you didn't step on it in the dark!

BiWerks Design, LLC
Die Reise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Die Reise wrote:

They really that bad?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny find in the engine block Reply with quote

Die Reise wrote:

They really that bad?[/quote]

They aren't that bad at all, so long as you are willing to accept 2.0L heads bolted down to 1.7L cylinders and/or similar misfits elsewhere in the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: