Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Wow nightmare.
I agree with all skills wrote.
Fixing electrical problems with no wiring diagram.
I think you'd have to agree to pay for diagnostic, with the understanding that if they don't find the problem, you still have to pay for their diagnostic time.

I got them the wiring diagram. It was a harness purchased from http://syncrosport.com/ and the gentleman was giving them ALL sorts of direction on what it could have been via email. Wes never responded to them once (I asked Andrew). Again, I tried to unblock any barriers I could with the actual people would built or supplied parts for this engine. All were chiming in but got zero interactions.
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

holy shit....what a mess Shocked

That's putting it mildly.

Glad to hear this chapter is done and the OP is on to next steps.

It sounds like it was 8 hours of the shop owner's time with his pick up and trailer plus gas. So yeah, hundreds of $ in time and gas for the shop owner. Whew!

Everyone involved finally got over the barrier of sunk costs and terminated the mess.

Specializing in Vanagon service takes a certain amount of gumption that should be admired.

I have to agree with you however from a customer's view. Let's not forget that he said he'd be done in July. My son and I had to drive up there (6 hours round trip) only for him to "find out" it wasn't ready. That's my fault? Not only that but I was up there by noon (when I told him I'd be there) and didn't depart until 6 pm that night. In the end, I pulled the plug on this. He wanted to keep "working on it". I've come to find out that a few things are broken at this point. I think the "relationship" has taken it's course.
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel

Last edited by chrismsnt on Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

Why are you unnecessarily complicating your engine? A mTDI is dirt simple, requires no wiring diagrams and has no limp mode. I have both, and the manual version is far far less trouble.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Why are you unnecessarily complicating your engine? A mTDI is dirt simple, requires no wiring diagrams and has no limp mode. I have both, and the manual version is far far less trouble.

I just imported this from the UK in Oct 2020. Just going through things STILL. Figuring out how things were done. I've gutted the van at this point to address some other things. It's down to a fairly bare-ish interior where I can build it up. I'm using this time to get the engine to be solid.
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
...Let's not forget that he said he'd be done in July...

A well-known local mechanic tells his customers:

Quote:
It's okay to lie to me about when you need it... because I'm going to lie to you about when it will be done.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

A well-known local mechanic tells his customers:

Quote:
It's okay to lie to me about when you need it... because I'm going to lie to you about when it will be done.

Applause

i should use that line Laughing

i do very little 'hobby car' work these days because of issues like this. one is getting quality parts and two is having an owner that 'gets it'.

my other favorite thing (at least here in CT) is say they drove the car all summer and come november when they park it, it had some issues they wanted sorted. car sits all winter and the first 45* day the phone rings and all of a sudden they want it yesterday.

i think the o/p's big issue was the communication break down. it doesn't reflect well on the shop for the lack of communication.

i've told people in the past i'd rather them be pissed at me for being honest rather than them being pissed for a substandard job.

i know the o/p mentioned VCDS....which is only part of the puzzle. there still is nothing worse than sorting thru a rats nest of butt connectors and extension wires that change colors 4 times by the time they get to where they need to be.

i still think the shop should have just passed on the whole deal or agreed to fix what was in their wheelhouse. the whole situation sucks for all parties involved

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

The early TDI was very simple even in electrical management, if you haven't gotten codes those early N75 valves will fail and not build boost, if you are actually running some variation of an AFN and you have a vnt turbo, the vanes could be gummed up. With a vnt, you can't light foot it, these need to spool and generate heat. It's possible you may be having a fuel temp sensor starting to act out...
It's possible you've lost the waste gate, these have been known to just fall of and end up downstream in the exhaust?
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
The early TDI was very simple even in electrical management, if you haven't gotten codes those early N75 valves will fail and not build boost, if you are actually running some variation of an AFN and you have a vnt turbo, the vanes could be gummed up. With a vnt, you can't light foot it, these need to spool and generate heat. It's possible you may be having a fuel temp sensor starting to act out...
It's possible you've lost the waste gate, these have been known to just fall of and end up downstream in the exhaust?

Thank you! This is EXACTLY where I'm going to start out in the next couple of days. I'm just going to rip off the turbo for my own piece of mind. With that, I can look at (or for LOL) the wastegate all at the same time.

I actually had a friend look at my log capture from VCDS and he's betting it's the wastegate.
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

I've had a bad wastegate on my 1.8t.. it acted kinda weird.
and in a different weird way to my brother's failed wastegate.. his was the actuator diaphragm ruptured.. and wouldn't regulate boost
mine the gate wouldn't close completely had a nice 'jingle' to the exhaust tone and wouldn't build boost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

My proctologist fixed my wastegate issues. PM me for a referral.

Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I've had a bad wastegate on my 1.8t.. it acted kinda weird.
and in a different weird way to my brother's failed wastegate.. his was the actuator diaphragm ruptured.. and wouldn't regulate boost
mine the gate wouldn't close completely had a nice 'jingle' to the exhaust tone and wouldn't build boost.

I'm getting this strange, high pitch boost noise which seems it's only around when the engine is cold or several minutes of running. Perhaps boost leak but have yet to track this one down! You can barely hear it when in first but hear it in the background right after the shift to 2nd. https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtYbOvhBZ0OEjpV2FQTh1VPrpOl_2w
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Motorwerks, Asheville, NC - issues and feedback [resolved] Reply with quote

Possible Diverter valve?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: