Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

Howdy folks,

So it's been many years (have to update my sig) but I'm thinking of jumping back into the VW life and currently looking at the Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top they (appear) to have built only last year. It checks just about every box I could imagine with regards to the AC (a must), engine, trans, interior etc. and from what I've found in research was a solid, almost no cost spared, build.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2482608

I know a Vanagon (Synro or otherwise) is worth what it is worth to me but I just wanted to check in with the community to see if there are other things I should know of or be looking at. I've seen posts before where someone would chime in with hell buy mine so hence the reason for checking in. I did go poking around the archives and found original posts pertaining to the original owner but I think CCM/CCC purchased off him and then built it out, and CCM/CCC hasn't posted in some time.

Thanks in advance
SC
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

ttigg wrote:
It checks just about every box I could imagine with regards to the AC (a must), engine, trans, interior etc. and from what I've found in research was a solid, almost no cost spared, build.

Sounds like you found your van. Enjoy.
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Sounds like you found your van. Enjoy.

Thanks, we'll see how the PPI comes out but it's definitely "talking to me"
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

i dont really have any comments other than - holy shit that price. and a tin top no less Shocked

and thinking of the other things you could buy to camp in for ~70k that arent quirky antiques. Laughing

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
i dont really have any comments other than - holy shit that price Shocked

and thinking of the other things you could buy to camp in for ~70k that arent quirky antiques. Laughing

Indeed. I toyed with the idea of a Transit/Sprinter but they also have "their issues" and for me, the biggest of those is the 12-13mpg. With the TDI in this, and also being a tin-top, mpg should be very high 20s or even mid 30s Laughing
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

That’s a beautiful rig.

Price wise I don’t think we can compare it to even a pristine stock westy. Pretty much a whole ‘nother vehicle. As long as no hidden body issue (which I highly doubt there would be) it’s more affordable than a custom sprinter and much more my cup of tea.

Hope it works out for you - looking forward to trip report!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

I don't see how mpg is a factor at $70ooo

I can see range being the only true argument but range can be extended many ways..

but there's nice things to be said about all brandy new engine and such..

YOLO

some people live in million dollar homes some in less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
That’s a beautiful rig.

Hope it works out for you - looking forward to trip report!

Thanks, IF it all works out a trip report will for sure be in order. The drive back would be approx. 2k miles
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I don't see how mpg is a factor at $70ooo

I'm frugal where I can be.
danfromsyr wrote:

but there's nice things to be said about all brandy new engine and such..

YOLO

some people live in million dollar homes some in less.

Absolutely! Funnily enough YOLO and YOLOR in my state are currently available as personal plates! (along with TGIF).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

Nice rig for sure. Looks like they thought of everything. I love the GTI plaid seats.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, the FAS TDI kit does not use the dual-mass flywheel. Coupling the later TDI engines to the relatively weak Vanagon syncro trans without the dual-mass flywheel softening the power pulses is not an install choice I would make. It might be possible to use the FAS engine mounting kit and source a diesel vanagon syncro fuel tank and diesel vanagon bell-housing which might allow use of the dual-mass flywheel with the rest of their kit. Something to look into.
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Nice rig for sure. Looks like they thought of everything. I love the GTI plaid seats.

Yeah they reminded me of my older 1.6GTi from UK, I may explore getting some recaros for the front trimmed to match.
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the FAS TDI kit does not use the dual-mass flywheel. Coupling the later TDI engines to the relatively weak Vanagon syncro trans without the dual-mass flywheel softening the power pulses is not an install choice I would make. It might be possible to use the FAS engine mounting kit and source a diesel vanagon syncro fuel tank and diesel vanagon bell-housing which might allow use of the dual-mass flywheel with the rest of their kit. Something to look into.

Thanks for the details. The trans was fully rebuilt to handle the engine/load so we'll see.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=737404&postdays=0&postorder=asc

That thread describes what happens to a syncro trans that is built to the nines for high power/torque and a single mass flywheel is used with the PD engine.
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=737404&postdays=0&postorder=asc

That thread describes what happens to a syncro trans that is built to the nines for high power/torque and a single mass flywheel is used with the PD engine.

Thanks, off for a read now
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

Double the caution on PD engines coupled with Syncro drive trains. I would not buy that van for $15K. OK, maybe I would and put a different engine in place.

J
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Double the caution on PD engines coupled with Syncro drive trains. I would not buy that van for $15K. OK, maybe I would and put a different engine in place.

J

Shocked but I value and appreciate your input and that of the others. And here was me thinking Diesel is the way to go for higher mpg, several hundred thousand miles (typically) and little to no maintenance.

So some of you here even have Syncros with the bigger higher HP SVX engine. How/what have you done for transmission with a higher HP/Torque for stress/strain?

I see a really nice white camper with new fresh paint and SVX engine also in the classifieds but alas, no AC, and that is almost a must for me.

Hmmmm
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

ttigg wrote:
but alas, no AC, and that is almost a must for me.

if your budget is 70k, not having a/c preinstalled is such a minor inconvenience as to not even be a consideration... IMO of course.

buy the right van - fire the money cannon at it - and turn it into your dream spec.

but a tin top passenger van with a lotta motor, while super cool, is probably a mid 30-mid 40 proposition. and a much easier thing to find an equivalent of elsewhere, whereas a camper syncro is a much tougher thing to find a 1:1 comparison to.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

TDi = trans killer! Call AA trans and ask if he’ll warrant a Trans with a TDi hooked to it.

Sounds great on paper, I know more than a few guys that have had Built trans rebuilt -20k later.

There’s a reason that Trans is fresh. Do a Search on Cap City’s history. For that kind of money I’d sell you my fully sorted Syncro Westy with a 2.2 subie in it.

Go wisely
Grasshopper
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ttigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cap City Custom Syncro Tin Top TDI build - am I crazy? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
TDi = trans killer! Call AA trans and ask if he’ll warrant a Trans with a TDi hooked to it.

IKR, and even though I have a good conversation going with the current owner that was my initial concern too. If it was all just recently done why was the trans replaced so early in the miles.

16CVs wrote:

For that kind of money I’d sell you my fully sorted Syncro Westy with a 2.2 subie in it.
Go wisely
Grasshopper

Yes but would you sell it to me for the price I have negotiated Smile

Thank you for the input, even though you are a premium member with a "contact me now number" for you and all the others I truly do appreciate the feedback/advise/support. Even though I've been away from this scene for a long time it's good to see that all of that is still going strong :thumbup: (where did that emoji go?) Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: