Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
emeeder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider Reply with quote

I need to install the seats with a little extra room.

I am 6'3" and my son is 6'9". I already have a slightly smaller steering wheel to install which will help a little, but I still could use a little extra room in the front seats.

Has anyone altered the connections for the EMPI seats and adapters for my Beetle's age range (mine is a 1970)? How is the best way to do it to maybe give me 2-3 more inches in the front?

Any pics available?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider Reply with quote

My buddy who is over 6' tall had a shop cut/remove the seat mounts (the ones welded to the floor pan), slide them back a few inches and re-welded to the pan so he could fit into the driver's seat. There's no leg room for the rear seat passenger anymore, but he fits nicely.

Looking at his seat mounts I suspect they are not the original ones but some custom made seat rails that mimic the stock seat rails. They appear longer than stock.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
emeeder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider Reply with quote

Thanks, ashman... I really don't want to get into breaking the weld and re-welding. (I don't weld, and affording someone else's welding right now isn't feasible.)

I was hoping that someone had an option of something to do with how the slider bolted onto the bottom of the seat and those holes on the seat themselves...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
emeeder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes... okay... I get it. LOL

But I only want to find an extra 2 inches up front with those seats... it's not like I want to completely remove the front seats and have him sit in back like Bubba Smith did in "Police Academy".
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider Reply with quote

If you are not interested in cut/weld job:

Consider an aftermarket seat replacement kit.

ProCar/Scat is what I installed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696324&highlight=

I don't recall how far it slides back (I'm under 6ft) but I feel it goes back further than my stock seats ever did. My 6'3" father in law seemed to appreciate the new seats though

If it would be helpful, I could slide it back and measure? Let me know. Might be a few days though between work and the "honey-do's"
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
emeeder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Question about EMPI Seats and matching adapter/slider Reply with quote

I already have the EMPI seats/adapters... not the ProCar/Scat ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: