Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Postmortem of Failed Auto Tranny Needed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Postmortem of Failed Auto Tranny Needed Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
Yup, count the teeth on the ring = R, count the teeth on the pinion = P. R/P=?.

Ahhh Math, my old Nemesis Smile It is a stock 4.09 ratio (45/11).

Thanks for posting that. Much appreciated.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Postmortem of Failed Auto Tranny Needed Reply with quote

Question regarding bearing races of the pinion tapered ones.

The one on the pinion side has very little room for removal. I'm actually ordering up a blind race puller as I want to take the guts from tranny A and put into tranny B ( good case ).

I see that people sell just bearing races online and always thought that you normally replace a matched bearing and race together, but maybe this is not the case ?

I don't see any wear or anything on the races but want to try and pull it to 'match'.

Under what circumstances would one just replace a race and not replace a bearing ? I thought it was odd to see them sold separately and wondered ...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Postmortem of Failed Auto Tranny Needed Reply with quote

there are some transfer cases i rebuild as well as some rear differentials for Volvo's and it's the same deal.... SKF lists the race as a "bearing cup" and the bearing as a "cone"

although not a bearing expert i believe it's a way to set depth to a degree as with the Volvo diff's i do the bearing stands proud of the race a tiny bit....like .0001

also the race may have a different OD than what the bearing would come with as a 'matched set' like you'd be use to purchasing. it's going off the ID taper to match the bearing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Postmortem of Failed Auto Tranny Needed Reply with quote

Nice to have a tool that works. Arrived from Amazon before lunch, I couldn't wait to try it out.

Someone in one of these Transmission Topics was asking about removal of bearings, etc. where there is little room. This is first time I've had such a tool.

This is the replacement case that will receive the R&P from the broken case. I needed to pull that Pinion race out of both cases and swap in the race from the old one ( or replace the thing with new ). Either way, the race had to come out !

The slide hammer was too short to make it efficient for this purpose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Question: Timken USA pinion bearing was a stock offering ?? The case with all the sludge in it had this type of Pinion bearing ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: