Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

So I've gotten a lot of inspiration from folks here to post this (@sportin-wood, thanks buddy!), and figured if nothing else, it would be a cool way for me to document my project as it progresses...

I've always wanted a bug project and remembered a few in particular that made me want one. I had a weed dealer friend in high school (1985ish) in SoCal (Orange County) who rolled around in a primer grey '65 or something that had "Too fast for IPD (Irvine P.D.)" penciled on the rear fender, and claimed he could beat Porsches off the line with his hopped up 1776.

The other was a beautiful silver bug on the cover of Hot VW's with blue pinstriping. I saved it but I can't find it because it's in such a safe place... Anyway, I got sidetracked on Bring A Trailer and started lookiing to see what they had for Bugs, and I was like, yeah I can't afford any of this, let's see what's on CL. Not a lot here in San Antonio that wasn't overpriced or already fixed up, so I broadened my search to Cali. Found this one in Lakeside (San Diego) and passed on all the others because this one was a 67. I had no idea about the one year only stuff, I just wanted to be as old as me lol.

I venmoed the guy the money and paid a transporter to get it to me and now I have my first bug. Pretty sure I paid too much for it ($5750 + $995 shipping) but for me the only two requirements were 1. It runs and 2. it's a 1967. I know it was super risky buying this sight unseen and I wouldn't recommend it, but I had pretty low expectations and while it needs work, I think it's a pretty good base to start from. Looking forward to the journey and sharing it with you guys! I'll post later some of the ideas I have for it and get some feedback on those ideas, especially since I'm a complete NOOB to all things VW Very Happy

Here's a pic of my first accessory from JBugs to try and keep it somewhat dry and limit the bird shit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Didn't know what this hole was, but learned it's where the antennae should go? Also, why are there more mirror holes in the door?

The guy I bought it from said he just repainted it, which for me was code for "I need to cover up all the rust and bondo" but whatever. There's overspray everywhere and most of the window rubber is toast. Not crazy about the diamond plate on the dash, so I ordered some grille covers from someone here I found in the classifieds.

The engine starts and runs, but there's holes/gaps in the tin, the rear seal is only sort of there and after it runs for a while and gets hot, it stalls

There is this weird thing on the back apron a guy at a local meetup told me was a trailer outlet?

The interior got a new carpet kit and door panels, but I'm probably going to pull that and replace it with something else, especially once I find out from the birth certificate I'm getting was the original color.

The ebrake is pretty weird and looks like it has a combo lock on it or something? It's pretty loose and the car rolls even with it on

Missing dome light

Seats have all been recovered in black right over the white vinyl underneath, but I also realized these highback seats are incorrect right? should be low backs?

Missing rear view and broken visor catches

Some painted over rust spots

The "boot"

Is there a paint code anywhere on this?

As for plans? Here's what I'm thinking so far, but totally preliminary:

Goal - a reliable performer that looks good and is fun to drive. What does that look like for me?

- Electronic ignition system (Pertronix, MSI, etc. - I just don't want to mess with points. I could, but I don't want to Smile)
- 1776 engine (maybe 1915?)
- dual carbs
- dual port heads (if not already installed)
- Fuchs style rims
- disc brakes (all four)
- frame off paint and body (eliminate all rust)
- suspension upgrades with handling and drivability in mind
- rear pop outs
- put driver side vent window back in

The frame off idea just kind of hit me the last few days after reading a bunch of threads here and watching vids, especially since it appears a lot on this car was just covered up. Like lipstick on a pig or a polished turd. I want to drive this car places and be able to get back. Right now that's not even a thing. It's gonna be a long road, but I'm excited to get started!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Hey gunslinger! Just came across your thread. Looks like you've got a nice project on your hands. If it's running and driving, it sounds like you got a decent deal, based on the pictures. I'm no '67 expert, but I'll chime in where I can help.

The hole just below the windshield does appear to be for an antenna, although I wasn't aware that type came on 67's. I had one of those on my '68 that I had filled in. The holes on he driver's side door appear to be for an aftermarket side view mirror. I also see that the holes for the side molding have been filled in. The door window rubber/felt channel looks pretty worn & cracked. Although worn, it still looks usable until you feel the need to replace it. You're correct - the seats should be low backs. 66 & 67 had similar style low backs. Is the black area on the inside of the rear deck lid from a prior engine fire? The glove box molding looks like it's installed pointing the wrong direction. It should have the pointy, tapered end towards the right. Never seen an E-brake handle like that. You could easily replace it with stock from the classifieds here. Not sure about that trailer connection. Try using a circuit tester on it with someone applying brakes to see if it lights up. You should also be able to source the visor brackets in the classifieds as well. I hadn't had any experience on rust in the heater channel area, but maybe someone else who knows will chime in.

Looking forward to seeing what you do to this project!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Yes, that looks like a "4-Way Round" trailer wiring receptacle. The extra hole(s) for a mirror on the driver's door are probably from a past "baby turbo" mirror or similar. Many a Bug was victimized by those mirrors throughout the 80's and 90's. Likewise, baby turbo mirrors were often accompanied by "one-piece glass" which, oddly, has been installed on the driver's side only...which leads me to suspect that the P.O. swapped out one of the doors, damned uniformity all to hell.

And yes, wrong seats, steering wheel, etc., etc.

On your overheating: much of it is resulting from that horrid "wedge shaped" fan shroud and the even more horrifying oil cooler situation, never mind the uncapped "fresh air" heater outlets on the shroud. That all needs to be stripped off ASAP and directed to the nearest trash receptacle. If you plan to try to run it and enjoy it a bit before tearing it down, you can put the doghouse cooler parts back on and then try and further troubleshoot the overheating.

I'm probably going to be seen as a dick for throwing this out there, but I think this would've been a much better deal for you (CL link below). It's also here on TS, though he just notched the price up $500 on CL to be consistent with his Samba ad. He was originally asking $25k Rolling Eyes Short of some panel replacements and some roof work, and perhaps a tranny, you'd be miles and miles ahead with this complete car. You're car needs EVERYTHING, end to end, and while I'm not trying to shit on your enthusiasm and ruin your fun, I don't see how much fun cutting out and replacing A-pillars and possibly heater channels could be, and sinking tons of money into replacing everything. I suspect you're already in your 50's (as am I), and you'll be years into your project before you can reap the fun out on the highway.

If you want to cut your losses (most of which have not occurred yet), and consider this car instead (below), I'd be happy to go look at it for you, arrange the purchase, and arrange the shipping out to Texas if it turns out to be a good buy (it looks pretty damned solid).The guy is 10 minutes from me. Then you could sell that other project and recoup most of your money (less shipping). If not, I of course wish you the best and much success with the current car, enough sticktuitiveness can get it all done in due time.

Steve

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/saratoga-1967-bug-factory-sunroof/7358243465.html
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Looked at the ad you linked and while it seems like I’m tasting a little excrement, sadly you’re right. In the long run it seems it would be worth the trouble because other than the crumpled hood and busted windows that car looks solid. Windows and a hood shouldn’t be too hard to source right? And yes, I’m 54 so driving it would be preferable given my track record on extended projects. I’ll reach out to the seller and if you’re willing, I would really appreciate your involvement in making it possible. Thanks in advance, I’ll update you soon.

Thomas
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Okay, just let me know how I might help. Personally I'm 56 this month and I'm feelin the pain of age and a lifetime of questionable decisions, on top of VW projects that I dragged out over 30+ years, that's why I tried to consider your perspective Wink

PM any time.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

That blue one looks like a much better starting point. The 67 hood is unique for the year, but an earlier one would fit. The only difference is that the trim holes are a bit bigger. You could either rock the wider early trim, or weld them up and redrill them smaller for the correct 67 stuff. The windows are readily available too, and it'd be a good excuse to upgrade to popout quarter windows while you're at it.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

txgunslinger wrote:
Hey Steve,

Looked at the ad you linked and while it seems like I’m tasting a little excrement, sadly you’re right. In the long run it seems it would be worth the trouble because other than the crumpled hood and busted windows that car looks solid. Windows and a hood shouldn’t be too hard to source right? And yes, I’m 54 so driving it would be preferable given my track record on extended projects. I’ll reach out to the seller and if you’re willing, I would really appreciate your involvement in making it possible. Thanks in advance, I’ll update you soon.

Thomas

the blue one has a smashed roof as well
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

the blue one has a smashed roof as well

You’re right, I see that in image 5. There’s also some door dings on the passenger side and of course the rear passenger fender. It will be inspected before purchase, especially the problem areas, but from what I can tell, it seems pretty rust free. The rest is just body work.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Good excuse to graft in a ragtop clip?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Looked into that, but that is a lot of work, plus the fact it's a factory sunroof is more special, so probably keep it that way and just get it working proper.
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Alright, so a quick update - the red 67 is sold! And in it’s place is a blue 67! HA!

I had this one shipped to San Antonio while I was working in NOLA so my wife was in charge of getting it in the garage. She was in disbelief that I paid good money for this car. I said ‘babe, it’s a solid car’. She didn’t understand lol.

This is how I got it. Yes, those are axe holes in the hood. The only glass intact is the vent wings and driver door glass. I went ahead and ordered a new rear window, a high-quality set of pop outs, a new headlight and bezel, a new taillight for the passenger side and sourced a 66 hood locally.

I tried to save the hood but it was jammed shut and wouldn’t open so I had to bust out the sawzall to get at the linkage.

I figured I may as well practice some hammer and dolly work and actually managed to beat it to a somewhat recognizable state…

Here is the 66 hood I picked up for $450 which seemed kind of high to me, but it was the cheapest option I’d found so far given how hard it is sourcing a 67 hood.

Here’s where it’s at right now with the headliner and seats and most of the carpet thrown away.

Here was a spot on the back roof area that looked a lot worse than this. What you see here is about 85% better than what it was.

Well that’s it for now, more updates to follow in the coming days.
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Not sure how I just now saw this! That one is looking good! Looks like a solid start. Whats the story on the damage? Any more pics/progress?

Check this out for some inspiration!
Link

Nate RS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

If you’re motivated, I’m parting out a ‘67 convertible. The top-side stuff isn’t rotted and could graft on. Just another option if you can’t clean up the roof.
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

I had to read that twice because I was like 'wait, convertible?' I need a roof section... are you saying you created a convertible and have a roof section? If so, I am interested
Nate RS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Other way around. I have a convertible with massive rot but if you had a lower-body donor car you could cut the convertible stuff off and attach it. Making your car with the beat-up roof a convertible.
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer but I think I’d like to keep it as a sunroof model and try my hand at hammer, dolly, slapping and shrinking. Right now everything is on hold while I prep my garage to actually have room to work. I also need to hook up and permanently mount my 80 gallon compressor.

By the way, that guy with all the metal shaping videos (Wray?) really frowns on sandblasting. If I’m careful to limit the abrasive and pressure coming through the nozzle and I do it on a cold day, do I really need to worry that much about warpage? Should I just pony up for the POR-15 treatment package and use that? One area in particular I’d like to address is the inside of the doors near the bottom. I found some surface rust when I pulled out the regulator. I don’t need to re-skin the doors right?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Glad to see you digging in and posting some work!
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

All right so latest update. I realized as I was pulling the car part I was running out of room in my garage so it was time to clean and organize my garage. That of course took longer than I thought but it’s done and now I have room for two bugs in my garage!

I found this show on craigslist and it was only 200 bucks so I bought it thinking I could cut out a piece of the roof to patch into my bug. Now that it’s in my garage I noticed a few differences, namely the size of the rear window and the rear quarter windows. From what I can tell it’s a 1964 built in February and first year of the factory metal sunroof. Given the differences in window sizes between the 64 and the 67 my question is this - are the roofs different? I didn’t think so at first but now I’m kind of nervous…

On the chance that I cannot use this car is anyone interested in this shell before I cut it up into parts and scrap? I’m in San Antonio.

Parts I’m considering keeping are the passenger side rear fender, And possibly the front cowl depending on if I can get mine to straighten out properly.

The VIN plate

I think the original color was Sahara beige or something?

txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

I just ordered a contour gauge to compare the roof lines, we’ll see…
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

I just ordered a contour gauge to compare the roof lines, we’ll see…
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: