Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manny67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

I have a 1967 Beetle I probably spent about 5k in parts, that being engine rebuild, transmission, full brake system rebuilt, including wiring with some upgrades on the rear suspension like kaddieshacks adjustable spring plates.

For the engine it is a original 67 1500cc engine that someone put 160cc cylinders on it. it was single port but i had gone over to dual port because the single port heads were cracked. New bearings, engle w100 cam and lifters, with the empi hi performance shaft to get rid of the stock wavy washer that can break off and go into the engine. 7.72:1 compression ratio.

As for bolt on somewhat performance parts I now
Empi HPMX 40 center mount carburetor

CB Magnaspark II Distributor with their ignition coil, not the blue bosch coil and their brand of plug wires.
I was also running a CB serpentine belt system stock style look pulleys but currently went back to v belt, awaiting replacement parts for my serpentine system.

Full Flow Oil, using CB Performance oil pump and their oil pump cover for the full flow".

The car runs amazing although with the vbelt i lacked some acceleration compared to my cb serpentine belt system man i could feel the acceleration alot better, i think it has to do with the crank pulley being a smaller diameter compared to stock, not sure but i loved it.

Also as for the overheating issues I would start off with buying "expansion plugs' from your local hardware store and plug off those "fresh air tubes" that come sticking out of the fan shroud. It would cause your overheating issues.

Last edited by Manny67 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

You know you can bump out that dent in the roof of the blue '67 body. A friend of mine rolled his '68 Baja and it was much worse than that and he bumped it out with no prior body work experience at all. And virtually zero bondo.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Popcorn

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

What a roller coaster of a thread so far! My heart sank when i saw the status of the red one once you got it. The blue one looks way better!
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
You know you can bump out that dent in the roof of the blue '67 body. A friend of mine rolled his '68 Baja and it was much worse than that and he bumped it out with no prior body work experience at all. And virtually zero bondo.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I’m actually more inclined to go that route honestly. It was a good excuse to buy a decent mig welder (Eastwood 180 w/ spool), and I have a donor car, but I’ve watched a ton of body work vids and other than time and patience, it can be done. I’ve got a cheap stud gun to help with the sections of the roof close to the gutter that are somewhat inaccessible from inside. I got the metal bumping book as well just to really understand moving metal around and I’m gonna try and bang it out first. If all else fails, I have the donor bug and I can patch it.

At the moment, there’s been no further progress as I am tied up finishing honey-do house projects (ugh), but I am anxious to get back to it. I don’t want to drag this out if I can help it.

While I’m wrapping up the house stuff, I think I’ll drop the tranny and ship it to Rancho for a rebuild since they are months behind. Was thinking FF gearing maybe, but I’ll probably just stick to stock as I won’t be on too many freeways anyway. Once I get it going, country road drives to the hill country for me and short trips to local meets.

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Gunslinger, if you need any parts let me know. I've got 3 '67s here in Austin and my red vert is a parts car. I wish I would've seen you needed a hood as I've got one I'd have sold ya far cheaper. Let me know what else you need.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Gunslinger, if you need any parts let me know. I've got 3 '67s here in Austin and my red vert is a parts car. I wish I would've seen you needed a hood as I've got one I'd have sold ya far cheaper. Let me know what else you need.

Awesome brother, will do, thanks! Nice collection! Very Happy
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

Alright, it’s been fairly quiet here cuz life/work/etc. but a quick update…

The rusty ‘64 donor sunroof car is getting scrapped and I’m cutting into pieces today to make room in the garage. I had it listed for sale because I couldn’t bear the thought of cutting it up, but I’m over that now. I’m going to save the front window/cowl just in case I need it for the nasty axe dent on the passenger side that ‘may’ have distorted the shape of the front window… we’ll see.

As I cut it apart, I am going to see where those sunroof drain lines go and found another old thread on here about that particular issue. I’d like to replace and/or reroute mine when I get to that.

Just for fun, I’m going to cut the top off and make a pretend convertible haha. Pics later today
txgunslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

It’s 95 with a feels like of a 100. Boo hoo!

Anywho, I have space in my garage again. I’m saving the front windshield section with the cowl and dash, but I’m probably not going to do anything with it except maybe make some stained glass car art. I also saved the rear engine vent. It just seemed like an iconic piece of metal to commemorate the car I just hacked apart.

I’m gonna chalk this whole experience to money wasted on something I didn’t use or need… guessing it won’t be the last time. If anyone wants the fenders, let me know. They’re far from perfect but they’re free. In fact, if there’s anything at all of value to anyone, it’s yours. I’m headed to the scrap yard on Monday. Should I take off the vehicle ID tag?

Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Noob Resto Project Reply with quote

How’s the luggage tray my vert is gonna need one and I prefer German metal if possible.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: