Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spring plate install
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: spring plate install Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a question regarding installing the heavy duty spring plate from EMPI, on the original from my 73 super it has two plates with a gap in the middle for it to mount to the rear. This plate is one thick piece without any threads, would this plate go to the inside or outside of the rear section it bolts too? I also just realized from jbugs that I need to have a different bushing so I need to get those, they are saying they are both the round ones not the knobby inside. Anyone have info on this as well?
Thank you in advance for your help
Warren
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: spring plate install Reply with quote

My sway away plates mount to inside of control arms. The bushings are knobbly inside and smooth outside. Measure diameter of plate snout to determine what size bushing you need.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: spring plate install Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the aftermarket plates are 100mm wide and the VW plates are 90mm wide, this shaves 5mm top and 5mm bottom on the suspension stops. Be sure to measure for the right bushings, and torque those Class 10.9 M12 bolts to 80ft-lbs. once it's aligned.

Any reason you don't want the double plates? You could probably sell them to some offroad guys if they are still in decent shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wardyl36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: spring plate install Reply with quote

The parts that I took off were rusted out some, I looked for aftermarket plates that were the same but haven't had any luck. What a pain this has been!
I will check out what the sizing is, does anyone else run these plates without issue? Should these only be for off road use or am I good?
thanks
Warren
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: spring plate install Reply with quote

You should be able to run them for normal street use with no issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: