Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

I'd like to add an antisawy bar to my 66 bus. However, finding a stock sway bar for the 66 has been difficult. As far as I can see the only difference between the two is that the 68 has the holes bored in the ends. I could be wrong since I don't have them to compare but I have really tried looking for the answer and have never seen it fully addressed. Can someone who knows tell me the answer.........Thank you!
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

Or, you could try an ADDCO unit.

https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/723/10002/-1#

They are available from lots of vendors and direct.

Pretty easy install too.

dgsaz
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

You know I actually bought an ADDCO front unit and returned it to JEGS. I actually didn't end up liking the way it attached to the bottom shock mount. That's ALOT of stress to place on that area plus the threads are not long enough in my opinion. There's hardly even one thread left after placing both the shock and the mount for the anti sway bar. I really feel the stock bar is better but this is just my opinion. As I said I've yet to find anyone who can give me a true answer as to whether there is actually any difference whatsoever between the 68 and above bar vs the 64-67 bar except the hole mount on both ends seen in the 68 version..........
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

Your '66 doesn't have the stock sway bar on it ?? It should have a stock one, I'd try a few shops & see if anyone has a stock one, like John's Car Corner in Westminster Vt.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Your '66 doesn't have the stock sway bar on it ?? It should have a stock one, I'd try a few shops & see if anyone has a stock one, like John's Car Corner in Westminster Vt.

could be a brazilian bus based upon posters gallery pics
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

Here's one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2352030
$100 + ship

I would use a stock bar, and yes yours should have one-but it don't.

The stiffer/after market ones are too stiff for my taste
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

So I've learned a valuable lesson...........After all my time and money trying to add an "updated" anti-sway bar made by both Addco and EMPI it has become clear its a complete waste of time and effort in trying to add an aftermarket one. Anyone looking to add one of these please DON'T waste your time and learn from my mistake. The only one to use is a stock bar taken from a parts vehicle. I finally purchased a parts bar and added new bushings and clamps and it worked perfectly. SHAME, SHAME on you CIP1 for not having ANYONE who knows jack sh*t about buses and their actual needs. I have been burned sooo many times by their lack of knowledge concerning parts for buses. In addition, when it turns out to be their fault for their lousy, absolutely wrong advice, they refuse to provide ANY compensation back for the ridiculously overpriced items they sell you. Lesson learned........From now on I'm going to try as hard as possible to stay away from their website and products. Has anyone noticed that every item has increased about 20% in price? Sure, you can blame some of it on Covid but not all of it. Greed, pure and simple.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

Yes on all of that. Stock is the best. Like I said, Cip 1 needs some Bus guy on staff. Too many parts w/o testing or control. The thick bars are too thick, and Chinese metal can't even come close to German. "Spring Metal" alloyed correctly is precious metal. Too stiff is only good for Laughing
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

Rgl1100 wrote:
I finally purchased a parts bar and added new bushings and clamps and it worked perfectly.

That is the simple solution.

I dug out a bay window bar to see if it would fit, and it looks like it generally lines up. I don't have a loose split bus bar or I would have done a side by side comparison. The bay bar is thicker than a split sway bar so it is likely stiffer. You would have to make custom bushings and clamps. Overall, a lot of work for an unknown result. Much easier to just find an original split bus bar.

The anti-sway bar and properly rated tires are essential for making a bus handle right.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

Here is the Bushing Kit, all you need is the Bar.
I'd try the '68 bar with these bushings.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211498101
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Here is the Bushing Kit, all you need is the Bar.
I'd try the '68 bar with these bushings.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211498101

The '68 bar is a different size and a different shape at the end. That bushing kit would not bolt wright on.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

When I first bought the thicker aftermarket bar I purchased a bushing kit from CIP1. I even called them to "make sure" it would be OK to use. They specifically told me the kit was for the 1950-66 Type 2 Bus. They did tell me that the thicker bar would require alteration of the bushings, meaning I'd have to enlarge them. Fine. What came was some cheap crap. The metal clamps(which I actually still have because, as always, whenever you call to complain about ANYTHING they tend to tell you its not their fault) didn't even come close to fitting the bushings they sent. I finally had to order a second set of bushings from. WW which fit fine. As I said, just disgusted with CIP1 customer service and their owner. Greed and gouging going on in my opinion.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

I just got a split bus anti-sway bar, so I took some comparison pictures between the split and bay sway bars.

The bay bar is longer, but that would not be too much of an issue since it clamps on the ends and the middle just hangs out in space. The bay bar comes in at slightly different angles than the split bar, which could be a bit of an issue fitting the clamps to it. It is also a larger diameter as previously noted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 68 anti sway bar for a type 2 fit a 1966 Type 2? Reply with quote

Thanks so much. This is a very helpful comparison and I hope, in the future, it helps someone else from having to go through the ridiculousness that I went through(not to mention the complete waste of money). In addition, I've been trying as hard as possible to stay away from CIP1. I've found that I can get most items at other retailers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: