Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Hello Samba, I just purchased an '85 Doka and so I figured I'd start a thread to hopefully keep track of my progress with it. Might get some questions answered here and help someone in the future.

First, a picture once I got it home after driving 40 hours and towing it back:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Second, current status after removing some decals and the spare tire carrier that prevented the bed sides from all folding down:

The Doka does not have an engine, it was seized up and so the PO pulled it. It does have a 4 speed manual trans with some input shaft play. Plenty of touch up paint but I dont think it has ever had a full re-spray. Not an expert on that. Either way I'm happy with the body quality for a project like this.

My thought right now, which I'm researching, is to bolt a Subaru engine in, either a non-interference 2.2 (maybe 95 for OBD2) or a SOHC 2.5, along with a 5-speed Subaru manual (TY754?). I think my best bet is engines up to 04? Anybody know the SOHC/DOHC year/model breakdown? I mostly want the swap to be as trouble free as possible, both during the install and afterwards. OBD2 would be nice for running a scan gauge and diagnostics.

This forum has already helped me a ton, great to be here

Last edited by kewilso3 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

2.5 subaru and freshen up your current trans

looks clean in the pictures!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Thanks, I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use the gearing to really take advantage of the Subaru engine, and I could use the integrated VSS (small bonus) plus just a newer trans. I want to run a bit larger tire and figure the extra gear would help with torque while still keeping me under 4K on the highway
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

My driver door latch wasn't locking (with key or with knob inside), so I pulled it off to see if I could fix it. After an embarrassing amount of head scratching I learned that it doesn't lock unless the latch is fully closed. I guess my door wasn't quite shutting all the way. I put the catch back on and adjusted it so it fully actuates, and all is well. Exciting picture showing two of the 3 screws holding it on (third is behind the weather strip and holds the door handle in place)

Since I pulled the door panel off, I think I'll try to duplicate it in CAD and cut some on the CNC. I'm thinking textured ABS, or maybe just masonite if I decide to wrap them. Anyone know a good door card material that could potentially be sewn through with a decent industrial sewing machine?

I also took the plastic window crank cover off once I realized the casting underneath was better. Will try to find a nicer piece of hardware for attaching.

Faithful helper

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Sweet doka !
I have an 85 2wd in Timor Beige is that your color ?

Your going to use the window crank bare with no plastic cover ? 🤔 Hmm kinda cool way to go... McMaster Carr has a lot of nice hardware. Even brass allen drive screws.

I went with rebuilding my stock transaxel with a different ring and pinion but stock gears.
Really happy with that, all the other normal mods to deal with more hp as well...
At the time subigears was still in development. I may have spent more time saving up for that if it was ready back then for the 5th gear.
But I am happy with my gearing. Had about a month with the bone stock gears and subi ez30 and 1st wasn't too useful, but after rebuild it was all good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Nice doka - looks like it’s in great shape!

What was the spare tire/gate conflict? Was it a swing-away on the rear?

I’ve no experience with the Subaru set ups so nothing to offer there, but I’m looking forward to the progress - thanks for the thread!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

The color is Timor Beige. I like it with the stripes.

I also like the bare metal crank, but realize it's not for everyone.

From the admittedly little I've read, rebuilding the VW trans and getting a new R+P will put me close to the Subaru setup money-wise, without an extra gear. I'm also weary of spreading the 4 gears out even further in such a low power application. The H6 probably helps you there.

The tire carrier is a swing-away on the rear. It's nice and has a Jerry can mount, but it mounts to the bumper at the bottom, and driver side bedside at the top. This prevents folding the driver side down and it wasn't aligned quite right so it interfered with the tailgate action as well. I may explore mounting it a bit better or in a different way once the engine is in, but I figured it's only in the way until then. Most likely I'll just keep the spare in the bed.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Looks like a nice project van for sure! Love the sand/brown color.

FYI, try uploading and hosting all of your images right here on the Samba. That way they won't get lost or stuck behind a paywall of other photo hosting sites.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_upload.php?cat_id=666
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Sweet Doka.

If you're going to do prolonged expressway driving, I HIGHLY recommend the Subaru 5 speed. I had my van for a year with the 4 speed OEM mated to the 2.5 and was super uncomfortable running at 4,500 rpms in 4th for prolonged periods of time to sort of keep up with the speed of traffic. Ended up having major transmission issues after a 2,500 mile trip and decided to upgrade. Totally different world now. Again, probably depends on what kind of driving you're planning on doing with it.

The Subigears guys were good. Helped me trouble shoot a few things here and there, and sent me a new VSS when the one they originally supplied was dead.
5 Speed Bus kit is the way to go. Dave Clymer is the best.
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Sweet Doka.

If you're going to do prolonged expressway driving, I HIGHLY recommend the Subaru 5 speed. I had my van for a year with the 4 speed OEM mated to the 2.5 and was super uncomfortable running at 4,500 rpms in 4th for prolonged periods of time to sort of keep up with the speed of traffic. Ended up having major transmission issues after a 2,500 mile trip and decided to upgrade. Totally different world now. Again, probably depends on what kind of driving you're planning on doing with it.

The Subigears guys were good. Helped me trouble shoot a few things here and there, and sent me a new VSS when the one they originally supplied was dead.
5 Speed Bus kit is the way to go. Dave Clymer is the best.

My goal is to be able to drive it like a normal, somewhat modern car. Obviously it's not that, and I've have many 80s and 90s cars so I know the deal, but I want to be able to drive 70mph to the beach and mountains without stressing.

Were you using the internal OEM VSS or the external that reads off the stubs? What ratio did you go with and are you happy with it? Good to hear from someone running the Subaru trans.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

kewilso3 wrote:

My goal is to be able to drive it like a normal, somewhat modern car. Obviously it's not that, and I've have many 80s and 90s cars so I know the deal, but I want to be able to drive 70mph to the beach and mountains without stressing.

Were you using the internal OEM VSS or the external that reads off the stubs? What ratio did you go with and are you happy with it? Good to hear from someone running the Subaru trans.

That is exactly how I would describe it. It is still a van from the 80s, but definitely now feels like it is more appropriately powered / geared to be able to handle expressway speeds without sounding like it is going to explode. Never got comfortable with +4k rpms. I also did the short shifter kit, so we're inching towards a feel more like a modern vehicle.

Per VSS: I bought the van with the EJ25 already in it, but with a Kennedy adaptor to the OEM 4 speed. This had the VSS on the axle flange. After I had the conversion to the Subaru 5 speed done, I didn't think much about the wiring being different and left the VSS on the axle flange and it was ok. However, it sometimes dropped power seemingly randomly in 5th after prolonged stretches of driving on interstates. Like I all of a sudden just took my foot completely off the gas (even though I didn't) and with the lack of aerodynamics, it would decelerate rapidly. Not fun when this happens randomly in traffic. I would have to shift out of 5th into neutral and then back into 5th and then it was fine.

After talking with the Subiworks people for a while about this, they suggested the VSS was not actually doing it's job (as far as the ECU could tell) and if I didn't change speeds enough for a long enough time it would go into limp mode. Long story short, I got the right harness from iWire (who were great to deal with) cut the wires off the axle VSS, spliced it into the harness, and plugged directly into the Subaru OEM transmission VSS (which had been there the whole time). Another night-and-day difference. The idle is better, the gas milage is better, never dropped power in 5th again. Totally love it.

I noticed that I stopped complaining about the power / speed / rpm noise and now have other problems. Like having the windshield wiper strip on the spindle on the driver's side because I'm driving 75mph and there's a big gust of wind. Those wiper arms were never designed for that force. The aerodynamics are the big obstacle now. But it's a really nice problem to have. Don't get me wrong, it still struggles when going up super steep grades (fully loaded with camping gear, 2 kids and 2 adults) but drop back into 4th and you're right back where you started with the EJ25 and OEM 4 speed.

Gearing is 4.11:1 and added the LSD. It was not inexpensive, but I've never looked back. I can pass people who are doing the speed limit. I worry about speed traps. It is a game-changer.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Sure would be interesting to see the subigears go into your doka.
I'll probably do that myself when what I have gives up.
I am swapping down from h6 to 2.5 my choice is the Vanaru and pro install.
Mouse lived with my ecu whole in storage. They aren't good roommates.
My transaxel had never been rebuilt when I dropped in the h6 and layd a few skid marks in 2nd gear. But after the rebuild and R&P change I liked it fine. I don't do much freeway driving though, still definitely would like 5th gear. I miss driving it a lot.

Maybe you'd like to check out my engine lid setup.
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Crankey that engine lid is nice and doesn't look too tough to fab up. I definitely want to figure out something other than plywood. Might build in some storage underneath as well.

Yesterday it rained all day but I managed to get the trans out. Way easier to work with than the monster T56 from my last project car.

rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Nice progress keep the picks coming! Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Made some progress on the door panels today.

Removed the map pocket and screwed the door card flat to the CNC bed. Climbed a ladder and took a picture as square to the bed as possible.

Put a chamfer bit in the machine and moved it around to the center point of each hole in the door card as best I could. The machine reads out coordinates so I jotted all those down for my hole locations.

Took my measurements and my photo back to the computer and drew holes according to the coordinates. Scaled the door card photo as close as I could manage and traced the outline and door handle opening.

Cut that bad boy out from some scrap PVC board and overlaid it on the original door card to see if I was close. Pretty close.

Went home and mocked it up on the truck. Some sections are dead on, some need to be adjusted a bit, so I made notes on the panel and will try again another day before moving to final material. It fits better than this picture shows, since it's not actually screwed on flat.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

On the official Syncro Doka thread there are some CAD files posted for the doors in case you, or someone else wants to take the easy way out.
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
On the official Syncro Doka thread there are some CAD files posted for the doors in case you, or someone else wants to take the easy way out.

I'll have to look that up, maybe compare to what I come up with. If I decide to sell some though, I'd feel better having done all the development myself.
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Slowing down on progress while I wait for the 5Speedbus shift kit to become available again, and I've been busy at work so haven't had access to the CNC to refine the door panels.

In the meantime I ordered a manual steering rack from vancafe to swap out my power steering rack. I just like making things simple. I removed all the ps lines running under the van. I figure if I don't like the manual steering, I'll convert to electric column or put the power rack back in and run an electric pump up front with short lines. Anyway, I didn't realize that the manual rack splines are not the same as those on the power rack, and that the manual rack requires a longer steering shaft. I decided to fab a new shaft.

I ordered a steering shaft flange off eBay; this part clamps to the rack spline or the steering box spline. I clamped it on and measured the flange-flange gap, which is the steering shaft length. This was 28.125"-28.25" for my van (there's adjustment at the spline/clamp interface) From there I used 7/8" tube and some flat stock to make a new shaft. Bolted it up and it fits great. Now just need to do a string alignment before driving.

Measurement:

Shaft + rack bolted in place (didn't get a picture before it went in)

I also graphed out some gear ratios so I could decide which R+P ratio I want from Subarugears. My Doka has 27" tires on it, so that's what I focused on. With the 27" tires and 4.44 R+P the RPM / MPH relationship is nearly identical to the factory Forester/Legacy setup (TY754VCDAA transmission) so I think this is the ratio I will go with. I will drive my Legacy around for a while before making final decision.

The RPM in top gear is shown at 55 and 70mph
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

did you get an availability date for the 5speed bus parts?
ive been hemming and hawing on transmissions myself the last year and that subaru setup looked interesting
also i seem to remember plotting the reverse ratios and it was quite a speedy reverse with that setup. but maybe no different than the forester as well?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

There's no availability date yet, and no wait list so I'm just bugging Dave every so often about it. He is very busy with work and life right now, but the parts are all coming together. Not sure if he'll make an announcement etc.

With my combo of 4:44 diff and 27" tires, the reverse gear would be nearly identical to that of a bone stock '03 Legacy. Reverse ratio is 3.33:1 so it's slightly faster than the 3.45:1 first gear. About 1mph faster than first at 4k rpm, but IDK why you would ever be doing that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: