Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
specialev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

I put a subi 2.5 in my tristar with a flipped subi 5 speed I built with one of the early kits from 5speedbus (Dave) and subarugears. I did frag my initial pinion shaft but Subarugears fixed it since they'd incorporated a stress concentration into their aftermarkets pinion. It's a daily driver and I've got ~20kmiles on the truck since then. The 5speedbus shifter has been problem free.

Here's the details.
89 Tristar Doka Build!
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

specialev wrote:
I put a subi 2.5 in my tristar with a flipped subi 5 speed I built with one of the early kits from 5speedbus (Dave) and subarugears. I did frag my initial pinion shaft but Subarugears fixed it since they'd incorporated a stress concentration into their aftermarkets pinion. It's a daily driver and I've got ~20kmiles on the truck since then. The 5speedbus shifter has been problem free.

Here's the details.
89 Tristar Doka Build!

Wow, that's a great build! Do you have any pictures of the engine bay from the top side? I'm trying to visualize a way to route the intake to the bedside louvres.

Also, did you run into any wiring differences from Vanagon to Doka? I have the Vanagon Bentley manual but no mention of the pickups.

Thanks for the input.
specialev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

I haven't found any major wiring differences. There are some differences for DRLs and other stuff for the Euromarket. I found some schematics somewhere and printed them out and tucked into the bentley.

Air cleaner is just hanging out as shown.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

This is what I did to isolate engine intake air path into the tail light cubby.
It's 1" thick foam sheet, same kind of foam used for plumbing insulation.

I cut strips that fit snugly into all the voids.

The tail light cubby will house the air cleaner and have a sealed panel so no engine bay air gets in there, or a least not much.
This would work with Chris Schimke's mustang air intake method.

My air filter won't be like it's shown for long...new swap on the calendar with a full revamp of the install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

That's a nice easy way to do it, I have foam that would work. Is that a box for your ECU?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

kewilso3 wrote:
That's a nice easy way to do it, I have foam that would work. Is that a box for your ECU?

Yes, ecu/mouse house and pee parlor. ,😳😕🙄
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

I've gotten to a sticking point where I've been unable to find a clear answer. Below is how I have my battery / starter / alternator wired currently, but I'm not confident in it. Any tips?

The white/blue wire from the Subaru ECU used to go directly to the Subaru starter, but is now wired to the starter signal wire in the junction box, is that correct?

I mostly re-used the VW wiring (all wires in pic coming off the Battery positive post and off the starter are original VW) I modified my harness with Vancafe instructions but they didn't provide instruction for the alternator circuit.

2003 Legacy 2.5 and manual trans / 1985 2wd gas Doka

kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Well, today was the big start-up day. Got all my fluids in, soldered up the last wiring connections, put the battery in and wired it up.

As soon as I connected the battery a cd popped out of the head unit which was a bit odd.

I primed the engine without plugs or fuel to get oil circulating before reinstalling them. Started up first try and I let it idle for maybe 30 seconds while I ran around looking for leaks, smoke, fire, etc and everything looked good.

Then I went to turn it off. Key turns and pulls out but the truck keeps running... so I disconnect the battery, nothing. I then pulled the fuel pump power and that killed it.

The IACV and ECU I noticed were hot to the touch.

So now I am where I dreaded being, with some wiring issue somewhere that I need to track down. I must have constant power where I should have switched power somehow.

Does anyone have any advice? I'll be going through all the guides I have again to see if I missed something...
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

It may have something to do with the alternator being connected to the same terminal as the ecu power with no main ecu relay to cut power via the ignition switch.I’m not familiar with that particular wiring for the swap but there should be a relay for power going into the ecu. My ej22 swap utilizes the Subaru relays for this.

Congrats though the engine started and runs with no leaks! Now you just gotta figure out how to turn it off.
blink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

i cant help with your issue but awesome to see you got it running. we are going to need pictures tho haha
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

So does it drive????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

I have had the wiring and all mechanical work 'done' for a while now, but cannot get the clutch to work.

-I have bled many times with a power bleeder to get the air out and the pedal feels good, with the clutch fork travel matching that of my OEM Forester

-New 1" piston slave

-New Factory replacement master

-disassembled and reassembled the clutch, friction disc, clutch fork, TB, all moves freely and is installed correctly

-Clutch plate just barely moves when clutch is pressed and so does not disengage, making it impossible to shift gears.

My next action is going to be to get a new clutch line made so that I can run a 13/16" slave in hopes that I'll get a bit more travel through the fork. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to order a new clutch kit but it sucks to wastes the money from the last one I bought brand new, and I'll have to drain all fluids and pull engine again to do it. I work in the driveway and 60+ hrs a week at my job so I just haven't had time.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

kewilso3 wrote:

-Clutch plate just barely moves when clutch is pressed and so does not disengage, making it impossible to shift gears.

My next action is going to be to get a new clutch line made so that I can run a 13/16" slave in hopes that I'll get a bit more travel through the fork. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to order a new clutch kit but it sucks to wastes the money from the last one I bought brand new, and I'll have to drain all fluids and pull engine again to do it. I work in the driveway and 60+ hrs a week at my job so I just haven't had time.

What brand clutch kit did you buy?
Is the flywheel new?
Did you replace the release bearing fork & pivot bolt?
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:

What brand clutch kit did you buy?
Is the flywheel new?
Did you replace the release bearing fork & pivot bolt?

Bought this AMS clutch kit-
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7284872&cc=1418150&pt=1993&jsn=21

With this AMS flywheel-
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1523590&cc=1418150&pt=5348&jsn=9

I do worry that the repair sleeve and associated throwout bearing may not be working for some reason, but they are from the same kit so they should work? The TB sits firmly against the diaphragm spring when the slave is installed, and the slave travel matches my other Subaru of the same vintage, as I mentioned. This is of course the best I can tell when installed, so I could be missing up to a 1/16" which might be enough to cause issue. Everything moves freely and smoothly, no odd noises or hang ups.

I have a new clutch fork waiting to go in but had not thought about the pivot bolt. I drove the donor Subaru that this engine + trans came from for 6 months and it worked fine, and the old fork looks good, not bent or cracked. I still have the old worn clutch + flywheel I might swap back on with a new TB to narrow down where the problem is coming from.

I may also take the master and slave back off to bench bleed, though I haven't researched that process yet.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Can you use something like a Motive bleeder to see if that gets any air out of the hydraulic system?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Can you use something like a Motive bleeder to see if that gets any air out of the hydraulic system?

That's what I've been using. I've run about 2 liters completely through the system since the last bubble was seen. Tried with front end higher, rear end higher, pedal down, pedal up, bleeding at master and bleeding at slave.
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

New clutch fork, new pivot bolt, new spring clips arrived, waiting to go in. Does anyone know how much the pressure plate should move when the pedal is pressed? I know it's more of a Subaru question in this instance. I also noticed that the pressure plate doesn't look like it stays perfectly parallel to the friction disc as it retracts... could this point to an issue with the PP? Can I bench test it somehow?
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

I had to modify my clutch slave push rod to get enough travel. At first I used the 13/16" slave and it didn't work for me. I then went to the 1" slave (I assume your are using Dave's Kit?) but I still had to make a custom length pushrod to achieve the throw I needed. I don't have a measurement of it, but it was pretty easy to figure out. Bleeding the slave and master was really simple, you shouldn't need any power bleeder.

Here is the specs on the clutch hose I made:
1" bore clutch slave luk lsc471; 32" hydraulic hose with brakequip fittings~m12x1 female bubble flare; 7/16 24 sae inverted flare steel 90° on slave side. About 34" over all.

My clutch pedal feel is perfect.
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

So I assume you made a longer pushrod? I have a buddy with a lathe, would be easy to try. I had considered shimming the pivot ball with a thin washer, but adjusting a pushrod would be much easier. Thanks for the tip
kewilso3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 2wd Doka build (Subarugears?) Reply with quote

Well, I am down to my last idea, which is that my clutch, or part of the clutch kit (flywheel, throwout bearing, clutch) is defective. All parts in the system are now new. This round I have replaced:

-Clutch fork
-Pivot ball
-All 3 retainer springs
-Clutch master

I have bled the system with fresh fluid many times, with a power bleeder. I machined a custom length clutch slave pushrod that takes up all available slack. I adjusted the pedal linkage for almost zero play. I guess I will buy another clutch kit, possibly OEM, and try again...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: