Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help: California Engine Swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CptRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been doing my research and would love to find a rebuild local (I'm in Santa Cruz but can travel most of California or pay for West Coast shipping). My compression on 1&3 cylinders is around 50!

The trouble as most know it's hard to currently find someone who has rebuilt engines.

I don't want to do Gowesty since I have a 1.9 and know I'll probably eat the core fee.

Bus depot is 12-14 weeks and shipping across the county will add up.

Tassi has them advertised on Craigslist but I am wary after their poor reviews.

Old Volks Home here is Santa Cruz is trying to help me find a local one.

I did try the Vanagon FAQ but most information on rebuild is older or I can't reach the people listed on the short recommended list.

Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction and I am not trying to cut costs or go cheap. I want a quality rebuild that will last.

Thanks in advance!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

It's been 7 years or since I've been in touch with Jerry at NW Connecting rod south of Seattle but he may be a source of a rebuild or to rebuild yours.

Given how things are going with rebuilders this may be a long shot.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-690810--.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331465&highlight=connecting+rod

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

Call Felipe at 523 Rods. http://523rods.com He'll be able to help
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

Try Peninsula automotive in Campbell. He has a good reputation. Ken Jansen in Belmont is great but he takes 6-8 months maybe more to build an engine.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

I thought GoWesty used 1.9s to build their 2.2 or 2.3 engines?

probably means you should probably call them to know for sure.

https://www.gowesty.com/view_page.php?name=enginecore
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

Call Dave at OutWesty. He's in Tahoe now, but used to be down in Santa Cruz. He's a great guy and a good resource with contacts in the Bay Area that might be able to help. https://www.outwesty.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
It's been 7 years or since I've been in touch with Jerry at NW Connecting rod south of Seattle but he may be a source of a rebuild or to rebuild yours.

x2
ive had him do several inline vw motors, the work is top notch.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
CptRon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info.

I will reach out today to Jerry at NW Connecting.

Also, I have only heard stories from shop owners saying I won't get much of the core back from GoWesty.
Would love to here from someone with first had experience as a customer of theirs.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

I know this is south of you..

says he's got engines..

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/d/vw-vanagon-for-parts/7359352113.html

you can also try this guy, he doesn't have a website with what he has, you have to call him -

Barry's Boneyard
Please call me anytime, if not there, leave message, I will get back,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>............. 714-848-3700,,,,,,,,,,,,<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Our address is:Barry's Boneyard
17637 Jacquelyn ln, Huntington beach, 92647
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

not sure if this would be an option:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757614

last i knew bus depot sold AVP engines and they are pretty junky

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234030

i had a AVP T1 engine come thru here once. the thrust cut was so oversized the had a giant snap ring (looked like a slinky coil) wrapped around the bearing.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

CptRon wrote:
...Also, I have only heard stories from shop owners saying I won't get much of the core back from GoWesty...

I got almost all the core fee back on my 1.9L engine when I purchased a GW 2.2L.

Maybe others did not. Maybe there was a reason.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines on feedback of this nature (both positive and negative)... is the person relating their personal experience or are they repeating what they have heard?

As for shop owners - well there's that. The shop who removed my engine took time to carefully remove the exhaust studs -- rush that task and you will break a few and that cuts into your core refund.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

A place doing Subaru swaps might well have running engines for sale. I have gotten a couple of engines from Small Car in Seattle. One cost me $400 and one $500 IIRC, but that was a half dozen or more years back now.
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

I have been dealing with Bruce Tassi for a long time and am aware of the reviews. The majority of my experiences with Tassi have been positive with a couple of negative ones but Bruce has always made things right for me. I use Tassi mostly for parts and usually do all of my own mechanical work. Tassi rebuilds their engines in house. Greg is their engine rebuilder and has been doing it for many years. You may save some money by having your engine rebuilt by them and install it yourself. They can also do the install as well.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

Bruce is a great guy, his engine builder is good but they are assemblers and not machinists.

Few people can turn something around as quickly as Tassi but sometimes it comes at a cost.

They have done quite a bit of work for me over the years and I have learned to pick what jobs to have them do.

They are great for the big ugly work but finesse is not their strong suite.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: California Engine Swap Reply with quote

Quote:
The shop who removed my engine took time to carefully remove the exhaust studs -- rush that task and you will break a few and that cuts into your core refund.

A core refund is for a usable engine block.

A broken exhaust stud has nothing to do with an engine block.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: